P500 Transmission clatter

SLR

SLR

Jan 4, 2020
Inverness Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, I have a 18 p5 and have noticed that when at 30+ mph if I go to stop fast “applying the brakes”the transmission feels like it it trying to downshift and makes s hell of a clatter until stopped . I noticed yesterday on a heavy decline in 1st applied the brakes and same chatter. I got about 400 miles on her. Anyone else noticed this? Sure would like to know if it’s just my girl or others have the same issue? Thank in advance

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hello, I have a 18 p5 and have noticed that when at 30+ mph if I go to stop fast “applying the brakes”the transmission feels like it it trying to downshift and makes s hell of a clatter until stopped . I noticed yesterday on a heavy decline in 1st applied the brakes and same chatter. I got about 400 miles on her. Anyone else noticed this? Sure would like to know if it’s just my girl or others have the same issue? Thank in advance
Mine does that when it's low on oil. Top the oil up and it doesn't do that rough downshifting...
When checking the oil level, make sure you DON"T screw in the dip stick. Just dip in in and out to read level properly. And a little more is better than a little less.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My 17 did it too.It was the auto downshift feature causing it.I say "did" it because I changed my electronics to 2015 stuff and rid myself of that awful chattering.My 17 model acts the same as a non-auto machine now.Much better in my opinion.That chattering from the gear searching when coming to a quick stop from higher speeds can not be good for the drive train.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!