Transmission fail safe. How does it work.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I was reading that the engine has a fail safe built into it so that if it ever fails it will be stuck in second gear.
Anyone know how this works. Or how to activate it? Or unactivate it.
Worst time to learn about this would be miles from the truck. Figured i would ask now.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Re: Transmissions fail safe. How doesn't work.

It's in the owners manual. If you don't have one...iI'll post it up later. At work right now.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Ya. I got one. Just haven't read through it to learn what to do if it ever happens on the trail.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Actually, i didn't realize it was you that posted the question!

Under the drivers seat hole where you check oil, on the side of the engine case you will see a copper colored cylinder with a slot with a retaining tab ( held by a screw ) in the slot. The cylinder has flat-blade screwdriver head. Remove the tab, and turn the cylinder all the way in.

This bypasses all the electronic controls and applies oil directly to the second clutch...so you will creep in gear, etc. This would help get back to the truck if there were something electrical amiss, but it would do nothing for mechanical problems ( unless the other two clutches were just smoked ) or oil pressure problems.

I assume you simply reverse the procedure to undo it...but i haven't really checked that out.

It's also in the service manual, BTW.

Reactions: BULLDOG6
C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013

Good to know!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!