Talon Transmission noise

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
134 miles on mine and horrible transmission whine at 4500 rpm over 35 mph. Just checked sub trans oil and no show on the dipstick.
Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow for first maintenance. I will have check, fill, and document the issue and post their response here.

Reactions: TripleB
J

JimB1055

Nov 20, 2018
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
134 miles on mine and horrible transmission whine at 4500 rpm over 35 mph. Just checked sub trans oil and no show on the dipstick.
Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow for first maintenance. I will have check, fill, and document the issue and post their response here.
My 2017 1000-3 LE was noisy too, but after about 150 miles it has gotten much quieter. 20-25 mph with no windshield, no problem carrying on a conversation.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X

Update! Got my machine back today. Sub transmission was indeed 8.0 oz low! They drove it, heard it, documented it. They then told me as a dealer they check them now and have seen enough of them from the factory to have to back charge Honda for the quarts of oil they are going through at setup!
Quiet now though.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
B

Bravo3

May 6, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Exact same situation with my Talon X.
At 70 miles I started noticing a chatter type vibration at low speed under the passenger seat.
Ended up having to put exactly 8oz in sub transmission to get it close to full. Noise then immediately disappeared.
I think the dealership may be checking the oil by screwing the dipstick all the way in.
When mine was low, if I screwed the dipstick all the way in to check it and it actually showed oil (however it was still a little low)
After reading the manual, Honda says do not screw it in to check. When I checked it that way I wouldn't get any trace of oil on it.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both of mine and 3 of my friends also were about 6 to 8 oz low. Since it takes around 42 oz I doubt it would cause any damage but it doesn't hurt to have your dealer document it was low.

L

Loudmustang

Mar 12, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked your sub trans oil?

Had a P1K that made noise in low only and it turned out to be low on sub trans oil.
Bought a new 1000-5 Friday. The trans groans louder than I think it should which is why I checked out this thread. I’ll check the fluids tomorrow. Thanks

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
8oz is not going to toast anything and i would think that it would also not make it noisy

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!