Transmission problems

H

Harmonyrail

Apr 7, 2014
I own a 2009 Honda Big Red, I purchased soon after they were introduced, it has been a great machine and very useful around the ranch. The problem I am having is the transmission is starting to slip when put under a load and climbing hills it started when the vehicle was cold and not warmed up but seems to be doing it now even after warmed up.
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem?
I did read pipefighter577 said that if change the oil and the washer that sticks to the oil filter is thrown away it could cause shifting problems but I am not sure what he meant by shifting problems, I did have my vehicle serviced at a Honda dealership and this could have happened. I know this is the first year production of this vehicle and am wondering if anyone else has had transmission problems. Honda has always been solid and I own 4 other Hondas but I need to know if this transmission may be flawed, the mechanics in my area do not seem to be very up on these vehicles.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
When's the last time you checked the oil. This is a symptom when oil is too thin or low.

You can check for the washer without losing any oil.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What HondaSxS and pipefighter577 said, plus....have you changed to a thicker oil? Make sure you adhere to the owners manual when checking oil.

How many miles?

The BR was new in 2009, but this drivetrain arrived on the scene in 2003 with the Rincon ATV. Its tendencies are well known, and it doesn't seem to have to many problems.

If the steps outlined don't reveal a problem, the very 1st step in troubleshooting a BR/Rincon/Pioneer tranny issue is having the oil pressure checked.

H

Harmonyrail

Apr 7, 2014
It is scheduled to go in for a service this week I will pass the info on to the mechanics it will be a different Honda Dealer this time. I hope it is a simple fix, the only flaw I see with the unit is there is no hour meter so it is harder to be sure you keep it serviced on a regular basis. I guess I need to add one or buy the digital dash assembly that has one in it.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the dash gauges has a place to tell when the pioneer needs to be serviced. the first service comes up at 100 miles then when you reset the service light it will come on at the next service date of 600 miles. a small wrench will display on the dash screen to tell you it is time to service the pioneer. the service light must be reset each time it comes time to be serviced that way the computer keeps up with the service miles or hours. it tells all this in the owners manual.

Reactions: Coyote 243
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
sorry I was still asleep when I posted that. so he needs to get a pioneer then.

Z

zuck1965

May 23, 2014
We have had transmission problems with our Big Red since new. The dealer has tried using thinner oil but it still has been an issue until engine has warmed up. Not exactly helpful if you want to jump in it in a hurry and zoom off somewhere. Ours is now using oil at only 800hours.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Not sure thinner oil it the right way. Most everyone moves to thicker... Have you gotten a second opinion on the issues from a different dealer.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
zuck1965 said:
We have had transmission problems with our Big Red since new. The dealer has tried using thinner oil but it still has been an issue until engine has warmed up. Not exactly helpful if you want to jump in it in a hurry and zoom off somewhere. Ours is now using oil at only 800hours.
What temps are we talking here? If you're in cold temps, this machine will always need a bit of warm-up before you can jet off in it. Just the nature of the beast. Synthetic oil helps a lot!

D

DaveJ

Jan 5, 2015
Harmonyrail said:
I own a 2009 Honda Big Red, I purchased soon after they were introduced, it has been a great machine and very useful around the ranch. The problem I am having is the transmission is starting to slip when put under a load and climbing hills it started when the vehicle was cold and not warmed up but seems to be doing it now even after warmed up.
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem?
I did read pipefighter577 said that if change the oil and the washer that sticks to the oil filter is thrown away it could cause shifting problems but I am not sure what he meant by shifting problems, I did have my vehicle serviced at a Honda dealership and this could have happened. I know this is the first year production of this vehicle and am wondering if anyone else has had transmission problems. Honda has always been solid and I own 4 other Hondas but I need to know if this transmission may be flawed, the mechanics in my area do not seem to be very up on these vehicles.
I also have a 2009 Big Red , 2 of the clutch discs came apart , the pieces plugged up the oil pickup tube and ruined my camshaft and oil pump ,sat in the Honda shop for over a month and was over 2200.00 dollars to get it fixed , thats probally is whats going on with yours .

B

Beechwood

Apr 2, 2015
I just found this thread and notice it is a year old but I also have a 09 big red parked in a dealers shop with what seems to be the same problem. For some time it lost torque, engine would run away from transmission, just after warming up and then seemed fine until it was parked a good while and maybe stone cold. Now it has low oil pressure and probably won't function no matter how long it is allowed to warm up. I already agreed to a new oil pump and heard back that this didn't help. I would hope to find out how you came out on yours , what needed fixed and maybe a name and phone from a shop that I could share with the shop I have mine to get some insight as to what needs fixed. We are about to completely tear it down to check the sump screen and any other remedy. This one has approximately 1100 hrs. on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!