Ownership

1. 700-2
amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am amazed at the lack of decent straps available on the market. Tried to buy from Speed Straps but everything is backordered all to hell. I managed to piecemeal enough speed straps with several orders from other distributors to get by. I highly reccomend he D rings that fit into the side rectangular standard openings. Another thing that is frequently overlooked is excess strap ends not being properly secured. Just let the excess strap ends get tangled up with the trailer wheels at 70 mph on the interstate and your day will get very intetesting in a split second. I carry a tool bag with extra clips pins for tailgate and an assortment of velcro keeper straps for securing excess strap ends. Tieing the excess up with your favorite knot learned in boy scouts in a recipie for disaster. Minor detail that is often overlooked

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Watch this guy's hands, it only takes a few seconds to wind up 20' feet of extra strap and secure safely. The other videos I watched make the winding look hard. If you make the loop too big, just hold the inside end and pull, the loop will tighten. I don't want to cut them off, just as soon as I do that I'll need the length for something else.

Routed like this, I can retighten easily, like when they get wet.
I KWPvw2X M

Before I learned the above trick, it was a bit 'less neat'. 😊
I mbj85Cm M

But the ends never came loose - I used the boat cleat hitch with 4-6 wraps which are quite secure.
I 2H6Wf5d M

Last edited:
ineedmud

ineedmud

Aug 28, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’ve gone a little different route as I’m not a fan of trailers at all. I also found a strap that integrates a urethane “shock” that stretches while the straps do not so with 4 straps the shocks give but the straps remain tight and the pioneer remains in place.
They are called shock straps, shockstrap.com. They come in a couple different weight ratings and have worked well for me so far.
3D95999B 8B0D 4F64 801E D3D8466E1135

• Wow
Reactions: caverat and CID
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve gone a little different route as I’m not a fan of trailers at all. I also found a strap that integrates a urethane “shock” that stretches while the straps do not so with 4 straps the shocks give but the straps remain tight and the pioneer remains in place.
They are called shock straps, shockstrap.com. They come in a couple different weight ratings and have worked well for me so far.View attachment 234738

Im curious why you don’t use a trailer?

Most of us “trailer guys” have looked at a setup like yours and have decided that cost of the fancy ramp system compared to a traditional trailer has less versatility ( uses outside of hauling the utv), is far more dangerous loading (driving up, getting down, operator getting up and down) without factoring in weather.

Not to mention that your rig is now taking the full wind load of your truck plus the profile of the utv. The roof and windows will not last long in this condition.

It’s a novel idea, but the lone advantage I see is that you may not have to store a trailer?

I started with a open 6x10 trailer. After 1 trip across SD in poor winter weather, I quickly realized that an enclosed trailer had great value in that it protects my UTV, acts as storage when parked, and has infinite uses beyond hauling my UTV (I even ice fish from it!)
Once my wife and I returned from the trip, a 7x14 enclosed trailer was in the driveway.

ineedmud

ineedmud

Aug 28, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Too many blown Trailer tires. I don’t haul too far and I live in the south.

Reactions: lee
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
That ALMOST looks like a safe way to haul your sxs. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Mopower58
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Too many blown Trailer tires. I don’t haul too far and I live in the south.
You better hope / pray no-one runs into to you head on loaded like that, it happened to me, broke 2 tie downs and S x S was still on the trailer, your S x S will be in the cab with you if you are a victim of a crash like that. Been there done that!

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SCUMBAG ALERT!!!!
Dont try to get your straps from Speed Straps. Ive had 500+ dollars in backordered straps since Aug involving the home office and 2 of their distributors. Product is great but u never get it. If u do try to buy their products from a dustributor make damn sure that they are quoting from their stock not from factory. Your children will
be in nursing homes before u ever get your stuff. Of course your card gets charged as soon as u place an order. Im cancelling another order mon am and trying to get a refund. Round 3 Dont buy cheap China crap from Tractor supply or Harbor freight either. The rachet mechanism will break under load. Im present using a piecemeal mis matched set of stuff. Hoping to find a quality source for commercial grade straps made in US

• Wow
Reactions: CID
amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to Macs online. Looks legit. Now if their stuff is US made and they actually have stock to sell this may be the answer to my problem. I live on the ocean so I need something with coating to resist corrosion. Im calling them tomorrow to check the place out. Thanks for the tip. Will advise results

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Im curious why you don’t use a trailer?

Most of us “trailer guys” have looked at a setup like yours and have decided that cost of the fancy ramp system compared to a traditional trailer has less versatility ( uses outside of hauling the utv), is far more dangerous loading (driving up, getting down, operator getting up and down) without factoring in weather.

Not to mention that your rig is now taking the full wind load of your truck plus the profile of the utv. The roof and windows will not last long in this condition.

It’s a novel idea, but the lone advantage I see is that you may not have to store a trailer?

I started with a open 6x10 trailer. After 1 trip across SD in poor winter weather, I quickly realized that an enclosed trailer had great value in that it protects my UTV, acts as storage when parked, and has infinite uses beyond hauling my UTV (I even ice fish from it!)
Once my wife and I returned from the trip, a 7x14 enclosed trailer was in the driveway.
A trailer is so nice for many things other than hauling a SxS. Enclosed even better, extra storage room in a pinch.

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoke with Macs tie downs Sounds great. They actually answer their phones- amazing concept!!!!!Placed order for bots sets of straps needed. Thanks fir heads up!!!!!!!

Reactions: CID and Vikes79
Moptop

Moptop

Nov 21, 2020
Covington Ga.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I also just installed code D tires on my trailer, MY trailer hauls my commercial mower for outside work that I do. I just received A Rhino USA Kit to tie it down. I don't like the idea of loading my new 520 on the back of my truck, Thx for your commit on that subject.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also just installed code D tires on my trailer, MY trailer hauls my commercial mower for outside work that I do. I just received A Rhino USA Kit to tie it down. I don't like the idea of loading my new 520 on the back of my truck, Thx for your commit on that subject.
Rhino USA products aren’t USA made. They are good and I have no problem recommending them unless someone is asking for made in the USA stuff.

Reactions: ChadD and Mopower58

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!