Trickle Charge Battery Tender Users

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I need some experienced users on this subject! I’m sourcing out my dual battery build and I need some opinions before I go into purchase action on this subject! Below are the amazons top three picks, please (or if your considering) if you have a trickle charge battery tender please chime in with your opinion. I’ll have this incorporate into my build so I want this to be the best decision. Thanks ahead of time! BamaDave

The run down!

Amazon.com: Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: Selectable 6V, 1.25 Amp, 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer for Powersports - Switchable 6 and 12V Battery Float Charger - 022-0211-DL-WH: Automotive

Amazon.com: Battery Tender Junior 6V, 1.25A Battery Charger and Maintainer: Fully Automatic 6V Automotive Battery Charger for Cars, Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - SuperSmart Battery Chargers - 022-0196: Automotive

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 2-Bank Charger: 12V Battery Charger, 1.25 Amp with 2 Charging Banks - Smart 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer Station Charges Up to 2 Power Sport Batteries at Once - 022-0165-DL-WH: Automotive

Reactions: TxDoc
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had 3 to 4 battery tender juniors plugged into powersports rigs year round for many years now.
They work and are affordable.
I've had a few fail do to my 2 way radios in the garage. That frequency seems to knock them out if the antenna is close. I've had to learn to turn radios off in the garage while using tenders.
Their return policy works but is complicated. You have to take pictures of the cable cut.
Anyway, they work great.
Best thing is keep your batteries fresh.

JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have used multiple Battery Tender Jrs for the last 15+ years on all my toys. I leave them plugged in 24/7 365 days a year. I've never had any issues and all my batteries seem to last at least twice as long if not much longer.

R

rickoshea

i use a victron energy bluesmart that charges all types of batteries for my l/io boat batteries,but it's not an inexpensive unit.otherwise my dewalt smartcharger will do 2 at a time.i'm hooking up a second victron for the wifes mazda.winters drop down to -40c so we don't use cheap tenders up here.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Battery Tenders are the ones I have used for more than 12 years. I've used them on my Pioneer and in the past, both 6 volt and 12 volt classic cars, a boat with lithium batteries, a small Kubota tractor with a very small 12 volt battery, motorcycles, travel trailers, and even my old Dodge-Cummins with large, dual batteries in parallel.

The Battery Tender contains a mini-computer that monitors battery voltage and charge rate. Depending on model, it has three or four modes of operation. I will increase charge rate on a very low battery and taper the charge rate off as the battery approaches full charge. Then it will provide a very low charge rate to maintain the battery indefinitely without overcharging and "pllses" the battery to prevent deposits on the plates.

Competitive brands may now have similar features, I don't know. If you buy another brand make sure it has the same features.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have to disconnect the battery terminals to use a tender?
Like TripleB said ‘no’, just add an SAE pigtail to the battery and run it somewhere easy to access. The SAE connector is the standard connector used by most trickle chargers. I prefer the Optimate brand because I think their charging cycles are more sophisticated than the Battery Tenders but that may have changed over the years, I haven’t kept up with the newer stuff.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Use CTEK trickle chargers here. The one I particularly like is their 4.3 amp one as it does a great job with the tirickle charge and has 4.3 amp capacity to help when working on the vehicle electrics so the battery doesn't go flat. They are very durable chargers. Also come with a pigtail to attach semi permanently to the battery. I use the chargers year round on the P700-4, classic cars, garden tractor, boats with trolling batteries.

To say the least, I have had terrible luck over the years with a few Battery Tender Jr. chargers I have had, they just don't last long. Additionally, I have friends that have had bad luck with the cheap Harbor Freight trickle chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaDave and Jerryg
L

Leaddog54

Jun 26, 2020
Sistersville Wva
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
I need some experienced users on this subject! I’m sourcing out my dual battery build and I need some opinions before I go into purchase action on this subject! Below are the amazons top three picks, please (or if your considering) if you have a trickle charge battery tender please chime in with your opinion. I’ll have this incorporate into my build so I want this to be the best decision. Thanks ahead of time! BamaDave

The run down!

Amazon.com: Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: Selectable 6V, 1.25 Amp, 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer for Powersports - Switchable 6 and 12V Battery Float Charger - 022-0211-DL-WH: Automotive

Amazon.com: Battery Tender Junior 6V, 1.25A Battery Charger and Maintainer: Fully Automatic 6V Automotive Battery Charger for Cars, Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - SuperSmart Battery Chargers - 022-0196: Automotive

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 2-Bank Charger: 12V Battery Charger, 1.25 Amp with 2 Charging Banks - Smart 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer Station Charges Up to 2 Power Sport Batteries at Once - 022-0165-DL-WH: Automotive
Noco Genius. Sells at Auto Zone. Works great.

Reactions: BamaDave
CMC916

CMC916

May 10, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depends on your use case and how many rigs your using on. Could rotate but if more than one look to multiple bank option. I have a couple of Battery Tender Jr.s and one KTM branded device that I think is also a battery tender all with multiple years of great use. Only one ever failed. I use on pioneer, ktm, boat and samurai.

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys, just some quick clarification. I'm wanting a trickle charger that I can permanently install that will work with my factory Honda battery and my Odyssey Extreme ODS-AGM28 that I'm going to be using as me secondary accessory support battery. These will be commonly connected via True UTV-SBI-18 battery Isolator.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I responded to your original post back in early July and will respond again. I own two or more examples of the top and middle examples. They will work on small 12 volt motorcycle or ATV/UTV batteries and on larger batteries such as used in diesel-powered light trucks. The BT senses and determines the amount of charge needed to charge and then maintain your batterie(s).

I have never owned or used your third choice, the dual bank charger but would buy it as well.

Two chargers or a dual bank charger is not necessary in a dual battery installation IF the two batteries are connected in parallel. Charing one charges both equaally because the two batteries, connected, will equalize with each other.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
CTEK 4.3 works for your installation. Just attach the pigtail that comes with the charger. Leave the pigtail end accessible so you just plug in after your ride. All very simple and the unit will charge both your batteries at a max 4.3 amp rate till the trickle charge/ maintain rate of charge is reached. This charger is suitable for many types of batteries. It’s a very durable charger. About $80 at Amazon.

CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V​

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Two chargers or a dual bank charger is not necessary in a dual battery installation IF the two batteries are connected in parallel. Charing one charges both equaally because the two batteries, connected, will equalize with each other.
Very true. A single charger will charge both batteries just like your alternator would while out driving, both batteries at the same time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!