farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, I have a Question about True battery isolator, I installed aux. battery and isolator back early 2018 seems to work as intended and I have not had a chance to confirm this or test it but I thought someone may know the answer, I know that when main battery is charged up to peak voltage by charging system or battery charger at that point blue led indicator light comes on and opens circuit to aux. battery and then aux. battery at that point is being charged as well as main battery which is fine if you are charging battery with charger during off time in the shop or whatever, the main battery charges then the aux. battery charges but if you are using vehicle and main battery is constantly in a discharge to where the isolator never opens circuit and you are drawing from aux. battery with accessories than You could get in a situation where the aux. battery would go dead because isolator circuit did not open to charge system, is that correct or am i just full of crap and don't understand exactly how it works, I thought if that is the case than should I put in an override to bypass isolator or manually open circuit for periodic charging,,,,, Thank You,,,,,,

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There is so many scenarios of if's.

Worst case primary goes bad but it should still read 12.8+ with the motor running.

Now you have a bad primary and a good secondary and it wont crank.
A manual option is needed. Install one or carry a short jumper wire. Or at this point you just need to get back. Unscrew and connect them to the same post and bypass the isolator.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Worst case primary goes bad but it should still read 12.8+ with the motor running.

A manual option is needed. Install one or carry a short jumper wire. Or at this point you just need to get back. Unscrew and connect them to the same post and bypass the isolator.
Thanks sounds good , if isolator is consistently open at 12.8 V then it should work fine, I just was not sure how often circuit would be open during normal use ,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sounds like I may just be full of crap,,,,,:)👍 Thanks,,,,,

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is why two volt meters are so handy, you can actually see what's happening to both batteries in real time.
The dual volt meter is how I knew my true isolator was failing. The 2nd battery was staying at 12 volts. When I checked under the hood, the blue light wasn't coming on. It wasn't letting the charge go through the isolator. The isolator looked to have moisture in it. I ordered just the isolator and replaced it 2 weeks ago. All is good now. It lasted a little over a year.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a newb to SxSs (aging out of dirt bikes) and just added a VM to my Talon. I wired it to a dash toggle switch directly to the power cable from the winch contactor. I also added a separate wire to the XTC accessory lead. The reason is that I wanted to know the resting battery voltage without the key (and system) ON.

I'd recommend this for a dual battery setup too so that you could see both battery voltages before the isolator connects them together. Once they're bridged, the low battery will drag the fully charged battery down and you wouldn't know the actual individual voltages. I understand that the isolator shouldn't bridge the aux battery until there is 14+ volts but everything has the possibility of failure. My suggested wiring would expose that failure.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!