P1000 Turbo kits?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I doubt that I would ever install one because reliability is more important to me than ultimate power, but is anybody offering a turbo kit yet for the Pioneer 1000?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Power really isn't a big priority with me; one of my Rhinos is a 450 and unless I'm trying to keep up with my buddies who ride RZRs I never feel underpowered and ride the little 450 far more often than the 700s. I do like the idea of forced induction when I'm riding ≥8,000' elevation but even then power hasn't been an issue for me since fuel injection became standard issue (my little carbureted 450 seems to drop off a little at higher elevations though).

Reactions: dotman1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've always liked the idea of turbos as multiple vehicles I've had have been and even tried that on the 700 with a friend who does Subaru and Mitsubishi often. We tried a turbo from a Cordia but had bad results. I spent a lot to try and no luck. It ran and at some r's ran really well but never idled well and high r's was poor. Air wasn't a problem however couldn't get fuel. There just wasn't much we could do without trying multiple different things it was too much. That fad lasted me two weeks and I had to get a lot to get it back. Dumb mistake! Never owned a factory turbo sxs but wouldn't be opposed to a Honda or Yamaha if they did it. If they had a bolt on kit it would be better but it's still efi and something would have to be designed for it. Unless you lower the compression a lot with a turbo the dependability is poor. The 1000 would be stupid with one because of the transmission. I'm pretty happy with the power and have never really thought omg I need more power with this one I guess it would be bragging rights but dependability is great so I'm with you on that

Last edited:
Reactions: dotman1
D

Dasmoeturhead

I watched the Baja 250 about a month ago, and they have a class that's UTV'S with forced induction. It might not be as far off as you think.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I watched the Baja 250 about a month ago, and they have a class that's UTV'S with forced induction. It might not be as far off as you think.
I the mean time, maybe I'll snorkel my P1K, and attach my leaf blower to the intake side. Hahaha!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Were there any Hondas?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I the mean time, maybe I'll snorkel my P1K, and attach my leaf blower to the intake side. Hahaha!
If you could get more fuel it may possibly help a very tiny bit:)
I like the snorkeling that @joeymt33 did clean and easy. Great indicator on how deep is too deep! Plus it's forced a bit. If I ever decided to do that I'd copy that

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I probably won't ever try it with the 1000 but I was hoping someone might!

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I probably won't ever try it with the 1000 but I was hoping someone might!
Same here....not something I'd likely do but I sure do like watching others make monster power.

I was thinking earlier today about the Yamaha YXZ. 998cc engine on a manual transmission. Although it makes less power than the RZR at the crank it puts more to the ground because it isn't being lost in the CVT. That being the case, I'm wondering what potential there is for the P1000 since it isn't losing any power either in a CVT. Does the torque converter on the Honda lock?

Reactions: Everett
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Same here....not something I'd likely do but I sure do like watching others make monster power.

I was thinking earlier today about the Yamaha YXZ. 998cc engine on a manual transmission. Although it makes less power than the RZR at the crank but it puts more to the ground because it isn't being lost in the CVT. That being the case, I'm wondering what potential there is for the P1000 since it isn't losing any power either in a CVT. Does the torque converter on the Honda lock?
Yxz would be retarded. The pioneer feels like it is a locker to me but not positive. Just never feel or hear slip

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I was thinking earlier today about the Yamaha YXZ. 998cc engine on a manual transmission. Although it makes less power than the RZR at the crank it puts more to the ground because it isn't being lost in the CVT. That being the case, I'm wondering what potential there is for the P1000 since it isn't losing any power either in a CVT. Does the torque converter on the Honda lock?

There is no torque converter in the P1000. It's a dual clutch transmission. Now, the P700 has a torque converter.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
DCT yes... I'm embarrassed! Thanks for that I wish I would've thought that through a little more

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
DCT yes... I'm embarrassed! Thanks for that I wish I would've thought that through a little more

I wasn't completely sure if you guys were talking about the P700 or P1000. Just wanted to make it clear for the other guys reading.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No Joe we were talking about the 1000 :-( that was a dumb statement on my behalf. Long day or lots of drugs in my past.

Reactions: joeymt33
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
There is no torque converter in the P1000. It's a dual clutch transmission. Now, the P700 has a torque converter.
OK thanks, I understand a little better now. This being the case, there should be no power loss through the transmission?

Has anybody started modifying power output yet?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OK thanks, I understand a little better now. This being the case, there should be no power loss through the transmission?

Has anybody started modifying power output yet?

I think @slowandeasy is doing a pipe and tuner mod.

Manual transmissions typically have 15% parasitic power loss. I'm not sure about CVTs.

Think of the DCT as a traditional manual trans, the difference being that the vehicle works the clutch for you. You may give it the command to open or close the clutch by hitting the paddles but the clutch engagement is controlled by a solenoid.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!