Tusk - Fold down glass windshield. Initial impressions

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Just installed the Tusk fold down windshield and since I hadn't seen many or any folks with it on here thought some might be curious now or in the future.

Install was pretty straightforward. I do have some questions for them on a couple things, but basically nothing big.

After install I had to immediately at least take it for a little spin into the hills, which turned into a nice 10-12 mile jaunt.

Bottom Line
  • Love the functionality so far of the protection with it up and the air in my face when secured down.
  • There are a ton of gaps that come winter I'll have to seriously look at sealing so as not to let water and snow in. Think I'm resolved to the fact that there will always be air gaps so will limit but not try to get rid of completely.
Couple details regarding ventilation:
  • Vents - Was about 72-78 degrees from leaving my place, to being up a thousand feet or more in the forested mountains. When driving the streets at 25-40 with the windshield up, opening the mechanical vents worked great to let in air. When I slowed down on the dirt forest road the head from the center console area got pretty darn noticeable so i stopped and folded the window down. Voila! Going in the 5-25mph range it was fantastic to get the full ventilation and never had any discomfort from the heat.
So far, my initial impression is that I'm super happy with the functionality of the windshield, providing exactly what I was looking for. We will see how I feel when trying to water tight the front, but at least for now it's looking good.

Cheers,

s

IMG 2305
IMG 2307
IMG 2312
IMG 2303
IMG 2302

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
This is on my short list. My hesitancy is drilling and mounting the window support brackets on the hood.

How was the installation of the brackets?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is on my short list. My hesitancy is drilling and mounting the window support brackets on the hood.

How was the installation of the brackets?
It was super easy. You just attach the bracket to the window then fold the window down to see exactly where it sits on the fenders. Mark your holes, drill and install 2 bolts with washers and nylok nuts per side.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandbaja
C

Cabinking409

Nov 12, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
did it bounce around when folded down on the hood? Where you aggressive riding or just driving roads when it was down?

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods
IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
did it bounce around when folded down on the hood? Where you aggressive riding or just driving roads when it was down?
This is exactly what I want to know.

Can you haul ash over the bumpy bumps with it down?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I've rode hard and easy...50-60 over the whoops and 35-50 through Baja scrub and maybe 15-40'ish over crappy rocky trails without issue. I've had it both up and down. The window glass does flex (vibrate) a bit but it seems more prevalent (noticeable) while idling than driving. I've not noticed any bounce while down as the suspension seems to absorb that and the mounts are pretty solid in the plastic. No issues so far. The vents work well when the window is up. Fit is not perfect and there are some traces of rust on the rivets near the hinge that I need to address.

Reactions: Cabinking409
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've done quite a few hundred miles over bumpy dirt forest roads, 15-45mph and then a little bit of slow, rough rock crawling without issues.

I haven't had it in the dessert or super high speed terrain yet.

So far I still really like it. I really like having it up on the 30-60 min drive to the forest roads I use to access hunting areas, then when slowing down and it's heated up, enjoy having it fully folded down.

Haven't been in it with heavy rain or sub 30degree weather, so as originally mentioned, don't know how much the gaps in the vents and fitment at the bottom will let water/air through.

As of now, I'd make the same decision.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: ChadD
Worrom1

Worrom1

Aug 9, 2020
Fallon nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X4
C

Cabinking409

Nov 12, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've done quite a few hundred miles over bumpy dirt forest roads, 15-45mph and then a little bit of slow, rough rock crawling without issues.

So far I still really like it. I really like having it up on the 30-60 min drive to the forest roads I use to access hunting areas, then when slowing down and it's heated up, enjoy having it fully folded down.

Haven't been in it with heavy rain or sub 30degree weather, so as originally mentioned, don't know how much the gaps in the vents and fitment at the bottom will let water/air through.

Good info. Thanks.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US

I just realized that you're the guy I asked about your Talon on Rokslide. Seeing your rig and after I asked you about it kinda made me commit to finding one.

I'm piling up quite a list of wants and needs for mine and that windshield is one of them. And a roof rack like yours would be really nice for shed hunting this spring .

45699ab92134268832ec0adf4b6e64097a0479a7eaf43d6c82210fe66c32a8f2

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just realized that you're the guy I asked about your Talon on Rokslide. Seeing your rig and after I asked you about it kinda made me commit to finding one.

I'm piling up quite a list of wants and needs for mine and that windshield is one of them. And a roof rack like yours would be really nice for shed hunting this spring .

View attachment 304323View attachment 304324

Sweet!! Hope it works out for you.
I’m happy so far and do love the windshield.

cheers,

s

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!