BOX1

Talon Tusk Terrabite 30x10x15

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, almost if you use the stock wheels because the stock tires on the Talon are not really 9" and 11". Here is some info to explain form another post of mine...

I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3

Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1). If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.

The System 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front. If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front. The rear hub to hub width is 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

If you don't like spacers or don't need to rotate your tires, these combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).
So what is the original stock Talon offset? Which offset would be best to keep the scrub radius within spec?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So what is the original stock Talon offset? Which offset would be best to keep the scrub radius within spec?
Stock front wheel is 6.5 wide with a 50mm offset. The 7" STI 50mm offset or the System3 45mm offset will maintain nearly stock scrub.

Most here have indicated that they do not feel any ill effects by using a 5+2 (30mm offset) or even a 4+3 (15mm or 0mm depending on brand) wheels up front and I doubt with the power steering you will feel it either under normal driving. Where this more likely to make a difference is higher speed cornering.

I run 5+2 (30mm offset) up front with my sand tires and have noticed some slight pushing during hard cornering that was not there with the stock tires/rims even though my fronts are mohawk type and steer very well in the sand. However, it is impossible to tell if that is due to the offset or the tires unless I were to mount the tires up on stock rims and compare.

Reactions: BPINE and Cowboy02
Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
IMG 1221
IMG 1220
IMG 1219
IMG 1218

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally got time to really put my set up threw the paces, I am totally happy in the snow rocks and fast sand washes it works great and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked in the sand a Glamis but I still need paddles for that. Here are a few videos from the trip.

Reactions: CID
ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R
After months of research and talking to STI systems three and almost every other manufacture, and all the help from my Honda friends on this webpage. I finally got the rims and tires mounted.

Looks great! What offsets did you use front and rear? How does it feel? Those are the tires I was looking at is The compound harder or softer then stock?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I use Talon Front wheels on the rear with 1.5" wheel spacers. My Terrabite 30's have 10,800 miles on them and they will be good for another 2,000 miles. I have a spare and rotate them. I'm going back to 28 Mongrels next for the better performance when riding with the Turbo guys.

Reactions: Razorback
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I use Talon Front wheels on the rear with 1.5" wheel spacers. My Terrabite 30's have 10,800 miles on them and they will be good for another 2,000 miles. I have a spare and rotate them. I'm going back to 28 Mongrels next for the better performance when riding with the Turbo guys.
Had the Terrabites on my YXZ and they had a little over 5,000 miles on them and still had good tread on them when i sold it, what a great tire for the money. Hondabob are you going to put a turbo on your Talon or leave it NA?

L

LenahRun

Aug 11, 2020
Aldie Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, almost if you use the stock wheels because the stock tires on the Talon are not really 9" and 11". Here is some info to explain form another post of mine...

I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3

Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1). If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.

The System 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front. If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front. The rear hub to hub width is 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

If you don't like spacers or don't need to rotate your tires, these combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).
So if i read your post correct it seems you can use the stock wheels with the 30x10x15 and have close to stock set up? I am new to the forum and I like the way the stock wheels look. I have a 2021 X. Has anyone reported problems doing this?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So if i read your post correct it seems you can use the stock wheels with the 30x10x15 and have close to stock set up? I am new to the forum and I like the way the stock wheels look. I have a 2021 X. Has anyone reported problems doing this?
Lots of people run the same size tires all the way around on stock rims and it works OK. You will notice that the front will be about 1" wider and the rear will be about 1" narrower.

One thing to note is that the rear rims are a bit wide and may be susceptible to damage from rocks. It is more noticeable with 30 X 9.5 X 15 tires. A riding buddy of mine saw immediate damage to the rear rims with 9.5's and ended up putting stock front rims all the way around and 1.5" spacers in the rear. This combination proved much better and evened out the front/rear width.

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
C

Capn3gun

Nov 14, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lots of people run the same size tires all the way around on stock rims and it works OK. You will notice that the front will be about 1" wider and the rear will be about 1" narrower.

One thing to note is that the rear rims are a bit wide and may be susceptible to damage from rocks. It is more noticeable with 30 X 9.5 X 15 tires. A riding buddy of mine saw immediate damage to the rear rims with 9.5's and ended up putting stock front rims all the way around and 1.5" spacers in the rear. This combination proved much better and evened out the front/rear width.
This is exactly what I’m doing. I Ordered two OEM front wheels that were much cheaper than a full set of aftermarket, to include 1.5” spacers. Then wrapping 30x10x 15 Terrabite Aramids around them. Thanks for the idea Paul!!

Reactions: Davegun81
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!