P500 Tusk Terrabite vs. Quadboss QBT 846 vs. ???

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Preface: I've searched and read all the threads I could find.

So, like most people, what I'm looking for in my future 520 (if they ever get here...) is a new set of tires and wheels (among many other mods). I particularly like the looks, ruggedness, ply rating, flatness (not balloon shaped), longevity, and versatility of the truck-style tires that are out there. I don't particularly consider myself to be a mudder, so I don't see needing huge knobbed tires. I live in Central Ohio where the majority of my p520 usage will be around the home/yard, so I don't want to shred the grass at every turn. When I do ride recreationally, it'll most likely be at Wayne National Forest and maybe some of the ride parks in Kentucky/Tennessee, which, from what I can tell, appear to be mostly hardpack and can be pretty rocky in some areas. I won't be seeking out swamp bogs to trudge through, but can almost bet it will see some light to moderate mud crossings just because it'd be hard to avoid that. It will be tagged for the occasional trip down the road in Ohio; potentially 10-20 mile trips on asphalt. It will have a TorQ Locker as well.

The downside to these style of tires appears to be the weight; they're heavy. Of course, I can't find the exact weight of the tires I'm looking for, just a range listed on their sites.

With all that in mind, what does HSXS suggest? I looked at both the Terrabite and QBT846, and they both get generally great reviews. The Terrabite seems to be a bit more aggressive, so I might lean towards it. I saw one YouTube video where a guy was flogging his Polaris (in 2WD...), on QBT846s, in 6-8" of mud and it didn't perform as well as I would have liked to have seen. Those puddles would totally be within the realm of what I would encounter (but not seek out) on a typical trail ride. I also have no qualms about putting it in 4WD, and as stated, it'll be Torq Locked, so perhaps I'm overthinking it. Does anyone have any other alternatives that are similar to these two?

Finally, let's talk tire size (yes, again). As I said, I'm not a mudder, so I don't need anything huge. I'm also limited to +/- 50" trails at WNF, so I'd rather not put massive spacers on the thing either to stabilize a tipsy rig. I haven't been to WNF in a while (15 years), but I imagine I could get by with ~53-54" total width and still be OK. I have yet to verify this. I also don't want to suck away what little power the p520 will have trying to spin a heavy tire. I'm thinking either 26x9x12 all around, or maybe even 27x9x12 all around depending on how it measures out. I'd prefer to keep the same size on all four corners because I will be carrying a spare in that same size. Does anyone with more experience than I, see a problem with this?

Reactions: Raghorn
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I'm gonna throw 26x10x12 GBC Kanati Mongrels into the mix as well.

Reactions: alloutdoors
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Tires are a preference thing so you'll get lots of different opinions and there are known issues no matter which way you go. All I can give you is what I've read and learned.
First would be if you put taller tires on then you need to go wider as well, whether by spacers or aftermarket offset wheels. Heavy tires are going to rob power but mainly in the higher gears. Have never seen a P5 not be able to spin the tires. Street treads are tighter and don't clean out as well, they'll slick over in the mud. Flat profile seems to bite more than a rounded one which makes them suck in the sand and snow.
You're search is either for an all around tire or a purpose one and all have their limitations. My 2c.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have 27" terrabites that were on the rig when I bought it. I like them for what I do, however I just got 1.5" spacers for the front and 2" for the back as I noticed it felt too tippy. Best of luck!

Reactions: trigger
Alaskamatt

Alaskamatt

Dec 29, 2019
East Tawas, Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
A coworker of mine put terrabites on his rig and says they're the best tires he's run. He runs gravel roads the most, but he said they are working great in the snow for him also. They look pretty good too! If I had a second 500 I think I'd go with a set of 27" terrabites myself, or a 520..🤷‍♂️😏

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Preface: I've searched and read all the threads I could find.

So, like most people, what I'm looking for in my future 520 (if they ever get here...) is a new set of tires and wheels (among many other mods). I particularly like the looks, ruggedness, ply rating, flatness (not balloon shaped), longevity, and versatility of the truck-style tires that are out there. I don't particularly consider myself to be a mudder, so I don't see needing huge knobbed tires. I live in Central Ohio where the majority of my p520 usage will be around the home/yard, so I don't want to shred the grass at every turn. When I do ride recreationally, it'll most likely be at Wayne National Forest and maybe some of the ride parks in Kentucky/Tennessee, which, from what I can tell, appear to be mostly hardpack and can be pretty rocky in some areas. I won't be seeking out swamp bogs to trudge through, but can almost bet it will see some light to moderate mud crossings just because it'd be hard to avoid that. It will be tagged for the occasional trip down the road in Ohio; potentially 10-20 mile trips on asphalt. It will have a TorQ Locker as well.

The downside to these style of tires appears to be the weight; they're heavy. Of course, I can't find the exact weight of the tires I'm looking for, just a range listed on their sites.

With all that in mind, what does HSXS suggest? I looked at both the Terrabite and QBT846, and they both get generally great reviews. The Terrabite seems to be a bit more aggressive, so I might lean towards it. I saw one YouTube video where a guy was flogging his Polaris (in 2WD...), on QBT846s, in 6-8" of mud and it didn't perform as well as I would have liked to have seen. Those puddles would totally be within the realm of what I would encounter (but not seek out) on a typical trail ride. I also have no qualms about putting it in 4WD, and as stated, it'll be Torq Locked, so perhaps I'm overthinking it. Does anyone have any other alternatives that are similar to these two?

Finally, let's talk tire size (yes, again). As I said, I'm not a mudder, so I don't need anything huge. I'm also limited to +/- 50" trails at WNF, so I'd rather not put massive spacers on the thing either to stabilize a tipsy rig. I haven't been to WNF in a while (15 years), but I imagine I could get by with ~53-54" total width and still be OK. I have yet to verify this. I also don't want to suck away what little power the p520 will have trying to spin a heavy tire. I'm thinking either 26x9x12 all around, or maybe even 27x9x12 all around depending on how it measures out. I'd prefer to keep the same size on all four corners because I will be carrying a spare in that same size. Does anyone with more experience than I, see a problem with this?
I can only say that after all my research I went with the Terrabites and I like them A LOT !

Reactions: Backwoods
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I have 27" terrabites that were on the rig when I bought it. I like them for what I do, however I just got 1.5" spacers for the front and 2" for the back as I noticed it felt too tippy. Best of luck!

How wide are yours and how's does yours feel underpowered in any way?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Like Mudder said "tires are a preference" thing and if doing it again, I would go back with 26" tires and a high quality radial one. I ultimately got a set of 26" tires for free off a Polaris, so only paid for the swap, but the thin walls were a problem and know from driving one of my friends unit, high quality radial tires are worth it, may be not on the same scale as a vehicle, but you will notice the difference.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
How wide are yours and how's does yours feel underpowered in any way?
9 on front and 11 on rear. Can't speak to how it feels compared to stock, but doesn't feel like it is underpowered rather maybe robbed a bit off of the high end, which is okay based on where we ride trails and use it for hunting.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!