P1000 UHMW skid plates 1/2" or 3/8"?

B

bosshoff

May 16, 2016
Chicagoland
I am a new owner of a white 2021 1000-5 Deluxe. The machine will be used in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Mostly on muddy trails. Not rock crawling. There may be tall grass, stumps, logs, rocks, etc. I am thinking of updating the skid plates with UHMW. It looks like there are a few good options. Trail Armor and Factory UTV seem both to be popular choices. For my use (not rock crawling) is 3/8" enough, or should I just go 1/2" thickness?
What about A-Arms? Some people comment about them getting caked with mud, snow, and debris. Are they mainly to keep sticks out of the CV joint boots? I can't think they offer too much impact protection.
Feel free to offer a vendor as well as I really don't know where to start shopping.

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the 1/2” SATV option due to its price. Also if you pm @SuperATV they’ll get you a discount code.

B391DB49 DF5B 4971 8140 D08AF0C911DF
11CEB4E6 72C2 49C7 8DEA ACF39B23120F

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the 3/8 tusk. I like it. It’s not a bad install and has pretty good coverage.

Reactions: ChadD
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I went 3/8 FUTV, everyone seems to say 1/2, idk why

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went 3/8 FUTV, everyone seems to say 1/2, idk why
What did you pay? Last I check it was $625+ for 3/8” FUTV, I paid $560 for 1/2”, even without the discount it is $599. Also last I checked 1/2” is stronger then 3/8’, pretty cheap added insurance to go 1/2 over 3/8”.

Ask @ToddACimer how he broke an oil pan with a full skid plate and if he would rather have 3/8’ or 1/2”.

Last edited:
advertisement
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good choice. 1/2" due to how close the tranny is to the skid and how easily the wimpy crossbar members bend.

Reactions: TripleB
B

bosshoff

May 16, 2016
Chicagoland
SATV, is your skid plate compatible with the Trail Armor UHMW A-Arm kits? It does not look like you offer your own A-Arm kit?

Edit: I made a mistake writing about the warranty of the SuperATV product which is as tdhanses has posted below a 3-month warranty against manufacturers defects. I am surprised such a durable material does not have a lifetime warranty, especially since the product is so modular with four pieces. Sounds like in the rare event you damaged a single piece, it could easily be replaced.

I still need to know if the A-Arm kit is compatible. Just trying to learn before I buy.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperATV
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SATV, is your skid plate compatible with the Trail Armor UHMW A-Arm kits? It does not look like you offer your own A-Arm kit? I am surprised such a durable material only has a 30 day warranty.
Where are you seeing it only has a 30 day warranty?

I found this on the skid plate page.

TERMS OF WARRANTY
SuperATV offers the premium product on the market and extends the industry's best warranty to go with it. Each replacement part carries a 3-month warranty against manufacturing defects. SuperATV warrants to the original purchaser that each part be free from defects.

Parts may include but are not limited to: heim joints, tie rod ends, ball joints, seal kits, drive belts, wheel bearings, brake lines, bushings, and brake pads.

All that said I’m not worried about a warranty on it once it’s installed, it’s plenty beefy. I think any defects would be noticed at install.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
SATV, is your skid plate compatible with the Trail Armor UHMW A-Arm kits? It does not look like you offer your own A-Arm kit?

Edit: I made a mistake writing about the warranty of the SuperATV product which is as tdhanses has posted below a 3-month warranty against manufacturers defects. I am surprised such a durable material does not have a lifetime warranty, especially since the product is so modular with four pieces. Sounds like in the rare event you damaged a single piece, it could easily be replaced.

I still need to know if the A-Arm kit is compatible. Just trying to learn before I buy.

Thanks.
You know, I can't say for sure. Honestly, if you go with our arms, you don't need guards. You can just beat the hell out of them just like the skid, and they're not going anywhere. Plus the arms have a lifetime warranty, so if you do happen to wrap yourself around a tree or send it off a cliff...we'll just send you a new arm if you can manage to tweak one.

thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What did you pay? Last I check it was $625+ for 3/8” FUTV, I paid $560 for 1/2”, even without the discount it is $599. Also last I checked 1/2” is stronger then 3/8’, pretty cheap added insurance to go 1/2 over 3/8”.

Ask @ToddACimer how he broke an oil pan with a full skid plate and if he would rather have 3/8’ or 1/2”.

Yup, you're right, I paid more for 3/8" than you did for 1/2", I also got the A-arm guards, they're great. I chose 3/8 for the weight savings, granted the weight is in about the best place you could put it, I do not see the need for 1/2" with my driving style. To each their own. If it comes down to 1/8" of UHMW, then I'll get 1/2" next time.
I chose Factory UTV for two reasons:
1) The way the partitions/sections are separated. Look at the install instructions of each kit, and make your own decisions about where you think the most forces will be applied.
2) They're in Commiefornia, I can't think of a harder place to do business, given I live here.

I think it's super cool that SATV is here, on this post, offering a discount, supporting this forum.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!