Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OK guys, I was picking up some pieces of plastic today for a work project. I happen to ask the counter guy if he could get 1/2" UHMW, He said he had it in stock.
My question is, is there any detailed drawings or measurements out there for the 500,700,700-4 or 1000's.he said he could go around $400 a sheet of buying one. Asked about shop hourly rate and he said $85. If I had a drawing about an hour setup time and then cutting time. Also the price per sheet would be reflected by the quantity purchased.
Is anyone else interested in perusing this option for having skid plates made?
Thanks, Mike

Reactions: Montecresto
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK guys, I was picking up some pieces of plastic today for a work project. I happen to ask the counter guy if he could get 1/2" UHMW, He said he had it in stock.
My question is, is there any detailed drawings or measurements out there for the 500,700,700-4 or 1000's.he said he could go around $400 a sheet of buying one. Asked about shop hourly rate and he said $85. If I had a drawing about an hour setup time and then cutting time. Also the price per sheet would be reflected by the quantity purchased.
Is anyone else interested in perusing this option for having skid plates made?
Thanks, Mike
You can get the full skid from SSS off-road shipped for 675.00

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I guess the biggest question would be can you do it cheaper than SSS... If so people might would buy them. But you also got to think about shipping. I've already got a uhmw skid for my 700-4

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess the biggest question would be can you do it cheaper than SSS... If so people might would buy them. But you also got to think about shipping.
I need a drawing with measurements to get a better idea on cost

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did it myself, try to search for my post fro P500 (let me know if you can not find it). Its easy to draw, just use geometry rules and symmetry and use your stock plate for mount points. If stuck where to start , let me know. Or if time is problem and money not, then buy any aftermarket, even SSS but buy from overstock.com they send out 10-20% off sometimes and free shipping, so just buy skid plate and aluminum arm guards to save money. We had this discussion with Montecresto. Just try to search forum for it.

Also 3/8" will be more then sufficient for P500, P700. P1000 may be 1/2", but 3/8" still very thick and sturdy.

Reactions: Tramguage1
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Would 1/4" UHMW be thick enough skid plate for the P500? See a lot advertised at 1/2" thick but that seems like a lot.

Thanks
idcwby

J

JTW

Just for numbers and comparison sakes.. the guy I bought my skids from said $600 for aluminum full belly skids.. that's powder coated and shipped.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Just going to throw this out there, but there is a place called Redwood Plastics that sells uhmw very cheap. They are on west coast and Georgia. Their sheets come in 4x8 and 5x10 and can get about anything you want for size. You would have to cut yourself though. Just saying the prices there are not bad for a sheet.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would 1/4" UHMW be thick enough skid plate for the P500? See a lot advertised at 1/2" thick but that seems like a lot.

Thanks
idcwby

I used 3/8" UHMW and bought it from Redwood Plastics in 2015 4x8 feet sheet. and leftover material used for front skis for my DIY track ski project.

1/2" is overkill , 1/4' bare minimum, 3/8" just right :) as for my taste and 2 years of having my DIY plate.

Reactions: idcwby
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This has been an item that has been on my back burner for awhile but will hopefully get done soon. One thing I did notice on the new SSS plates for the 700, is they are actually leaving the center factor engine skid on and just putting their skid over top of it. In this case you might be able to get away with 1/4" for a little added protection. I have a piece of 1/4" sitting at home that my father in law gave to me, but I just can't bring myself to use it solely by itself.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1/2" is not overkill unless you are just checking fences on a farm. If you ride in rocks at all there is no way I would go less than 1/2". I can get the UHMW very cheap. By the time time you do all the labor it's a wash or you're losing money. My time is worth more so I bought a Factory UTV skid which is very well made.

Reactions: JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1/2" is not overkill unless you are just checking fences on a farm. If you ride in rocks at all there is no way I would go less than 1/2". I can get the UHMW very cheap. By the time time you do all the labor it's a wash or you're losing money. My time is worth more so I bought a Factory UTV skid which is very well made.

Time is money, but it might be Time = self satisfaction

For P500 3/8" is optimal for P500 weight to UMHW thickness ratio - it may be very minimally flexing , may be if you rock slide in MOab all day long, every day 1/2" is good then. For P700 I think 3/8" is still good, but for P1000 1/2" is the way to go since it's heavier.

If you look under P500 on all mounting points and space between them, the distance is so short that that 3/8" plate has no room to overflex under load

From my experience (and also looking at Honda thickness plate)
1/4" is good for general drive around use with occasional common sense abuse
3/8" - for more extreme occasional use ( Over 2 years , 600 miles, my 3/8" plate still looks new, it does not scratch easily)
1/2" for daily rock sliding abuse.

Reactions: tjoreo
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think 3/8 is the way to go if you aren't doing joints and I'd avoid overlapping machined joints for sure.

One of these days I should take my flat layout and make a drawing. Otherwise if somebody asks, it would be easy to make another. In all reality, unless you get the satisfaction of making your own, the aftermarket skids aren't priced too bad.

IMG 20161230 124150678

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't like that it doesn't protect under the front diff and there's no add on pieces for under the footwell

Thanks for reply. Also looking at OEM Honda aluminum skid plate as well

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at trail armor or factory utv

The wings to protect each side are really needed if your in need of a skid.

Reactions: seig and JTW
seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just started trying to do a little research into how much "real world" difference there is between UHMW-PE and HDPE because the price difference is HUGE. $80 (+ a $13 single sheet quantity penalty) for a 4x8 sheet at Menard's. The thickest stuff they have is 3/8" though. Haven't found the time to look deep into it yet, make a damn nice roof if nothing else thought! lol Would be cool to find someone with a beat-up aluminum skid that was thinking about replacing it and bolt a piece of the 1/4" HDPE stuff to the bottom of it and go beat the hell out of it to see how it holds up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!