P1000m5 Lift Kit or Skid Plates? Looking for Advice from Pros

T

Troykv

Nov 17, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone.
I ride my P1000-5 around the rocky mountains of Utah - Wasatch, Moab, Uintahs, Boulder Top and many others. I've taken some boulder hits to my under carriage frame and side bars and am concerned with the dents and dings in this vulnerable area. I've looked at rock sliders and ruled those out because they only appear to protect the outside edges. Aluminum or UHMW skid/glide plates would provide the protection but they are expense. A 3" lift kit is pretty inexpensive and seems like a good alternative to skid plates. I'm capable of installing either solution myself.

Anyone solved the boulder clearance problem with a lift kit?
Any reason I should use a skid plate versus lift kit?
Will a 3" lift kit create greater risk of tilt/roll over with a change in center of gravity?

I welcome all advise from experienced owners/riders.
Thanks
TV

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A full skid plate made of UHMW is your best solution. A lift kit would help but you'll just end up going over bigger obstacles and still take blows to the bottom of your machine. Yes a lift will make the machine more prone to tipping. There are several good options out there for full skid plates.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello everyone.
I ride my P1000-5 around the rocky mountains of Utah - Wasatch, Moab, Uintahs, Boulder Top and many others. I've taken some boulder hits to my under carriage frame and side bars and am concerned with the dents and dings in this vulnerable area. I've looked at rock sliders and ruled those out because they only appear to protect the outside edges. Aluminum or UHMW skid/glide plates would provide the protection but they are expense. A 3" lift kit is pretty inexpensive and seems like a good alternative to skid plates. I'm capable of installing either solution myself.

Will a 3" lift kit create greater risk of tilt/roll over with a change in center of gravity?

Thanks
TV
# 1 accessory, real UHMW skid plate!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hello everyone.

Thanks
TV
Skids........

Reactions: Rick53 and Troykv
T

Troykv

Nov 17, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A full skid plate made of UHMW is your best solution. A lift kit would help but you'll just end up going over bigger obstacles and still take blows to the bottom of your machine. Yes a lift will make the machine more prone to tipping. There are several good options out there for full skid plates.
Good points - follow up question on skid plate then - UHMW or Aluminum?

Reactions: Rick53
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Skid for sure. The cheap lifts mess up your suspension geometry.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good points - follow up question on skid plate then - UHMW or Aluminum?
Definitely uhmw. It will slide across obstacles much better and has self lubricating properties. Aluminum gets beat up and becomes less and less effective. Its also not flexible like uhmw. Ive ran both in the past and won't ever use aluminum again.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Definitely uhmw. It will slide across obstacles much better and has self lubricating properties. Aluminum gets beat up and becomes less and less effective. Its also not flexible like uhmw. Ive ran both in the past and won't ever use aluminum again.
Self lubricating.. uh huh..more flexable. Are we still talking about skid plates? 😂😂😂

T

Troykv

Nov 17, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know - I will use UHMW.

Reactions: Rick53 and TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 1/2" Trail Armor UHMW wraps up the sides of the Talon, not sure about the Pioneer. Pricey but worth it every time I slide across something.

From the TA site -
I X8KSb35 M

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!