P700 UNI Filter

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
I put a UNI air filter in my 700 and took it out for a ride and noticed that at WOT it was too loud. I don't remember the stock OEM filter being that loud at WOT. The only difference between the two filters is the foam density and the cage. The UNI is open on the end where as the OEM filter cage is like a tin can and closed on the end thus deflecting the sound out the sides. Would explain the closed end. Any one else try the UNI and notice any sound difference.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a UNI air filter in my 700 and took it out for a ride and noticed that at WOT it was too loud. I don't remember the stock OEM filter being that loud at WOT. The only difference between the two filters is the foam density and the cage. The UNI is open on the end where as the OEM filter cage is like a tin can and closed on the end thus deflecting the sound out the sides. Would explain the closed end. Any one else try the UNI and notice any sound difference.
I’m still running the stock filter, maybe @swsebek or @DG Rider will chime in on your question.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I personally can't say I noticed much sound difference, though it's been a while. Guess it would make sense.
The foam end and less restrictive backfire screen are 2 things I liked about the UNI. I'd like to find a stock style filter with those features.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bounced back and forth between the two before I snorkeled my 700 for 3 years and can't say I noticed a sound difference. But If you did not get the filter on or clamped properly it could slide or bounce off and that would give you a different sound. I would double check that.
Since the snorkel I have cleaned my filter once in a complete year. Before it was every few rides.
I also went back to stock filters with the pioneer.I believe they offer more protection.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran it on my 700. Maybe a little noise difference. Check to make sure the cover is on correctly. The uni gave me a noticeable advantage in throttle response.

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
The results are in after some testing. The Uni is noticeably louder than the OEM filter and cage at WOT. That would explain the closed end on the OEM filter and cage. Next I'll try the Uni over the OEM cage and see what happens.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The results are in after some testing. The Uni is noticeably louder than the OEM filter and cage at WOT. That would explain the closed end on the OEM filter and cage. Next I'll try the Uni over the OEM cage and see what happens.
I'm thinking it may not fit right. I tried to run to uni cage on the stock filter just to help flow, and it was too short or something.

In one of his 1st posts, I believe @jak9922 recommend drilling several large holes in the stock backfire screen to help flow. That might be the trick with the stock filter.

Reactions: Plumber32
H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
I'm thinking it may not fit right. I tried to run to uni cage on the stock filter just to help flow, and it was too short or something.

In one of his 1st posts, I believe @jak9922 recommend drilling several large holes in the stock backfire screen to help flow. That might be the trick with the stock filter.

The Uni foam fit over the oem stock cage fine. Just a little crown on the Uni on the end. I have to wait until next weekend to try it out.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny

i just took the backfire cage out

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!