P500 Up shift want down shift

B

Bluep500

Dec 18, 2020
London ky
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2016 p 500 was working fine parked it went back out got on it up shift but will not down shift . I have changed the angle sensor, made sure all wires is connected and un hooked battery still same thang. Any help will greatly b appreciated.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

The Gear indicator isn't flashing?

What if youcto drive it, will it flash a code when you attempt to shift?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a 2016 p 500 was working fine parked it went back out got on it up shift but will not down shift . I have changed the angle sensor, made sure all wires is connected and un hooked battery still same thang. Any help will greatly b appreciated.
The exact same thing happened to us yesterday on the trail. We checked all kinds of wire connections and as a last ditch effort we took the cap off of the top of the steering column behind the steering wheel and pulled the paddle shift assembly out. There is 2 switches behind the scenes that has little like 1" long flat springs on them. You push the paddle and the paddle pushes the spring which pushes the button on the switch to upshift or downshift, whichever youre trying to do. One of the little flat spring things was broke in half. We temperarily fixed it with a fat ziptie that spanned the same gap that the spring would have and believe it or not it worked. Pop the 2 plastic rivets behind the steering wheel, take a 10mm socket and pull the few bolts out that you see under the cap and pull the paddle shift assembly out. There is a left switch and a right switch. Check out the little springy things coming out of the switch. Good luck!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Also, if it is between gears and not showing a gear on the dash display, take the little manual gear shift wrench out from under your seat and put it on the gear shift cog sticking out of the front of the motor. Click it one way or the other while rocking the machine back and forth a foot or two and it should find a gear to pop into. Apply brake to start it in gear if you have to.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
The exact same thing happened to us yesterday on the trail. We checked all kinds of wire connections and as a last ditch effort we took the cap off of the top of the steering column behind the steering wheel and pulled the paddle shift assembly out. There is 2 switches behind the scenes that has little like 1" long flat springs on them. You push the paddle and the paddle pushes the spring which pushes the button on the switch to upshift or downshift, whichever youre trying to do. One of the little flat spring things was broke in half. We temperarily fixed it with a fat ziptie that spanned the same gap that the spring would have and believe it or not it worked. Pop the 2 plastic rivets behind the steering wheel, take a 10mm socket and pull the few bolts out that you see under the cap and pull the paddle shift assembly out. There is a left switch and a right switch. Check out the little springy things coming out of the switch. Good luck!
An admin might consider making a sticky note on this one because I'm confident others may need this kind of information one day :)

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
The switches under the steering wheel at the paddle shifters are called micro switches. They are sending a signal to the ecm to shift up or down. Some other member in the past has also had one fail. I don't think they cost much at Honda and I would replace both if one has failed.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!