Using smaller wheels/tires for transporting in Toy Hauler

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man that’s great.
How much room is there to spare between bed & frame? Thanks for the feedback.
Where did your store the roof?

none LoL.. it barely rubs on the seat braces and when strapped down no contact. Its tight. There is room behind the P to store it. Thanks all

Reactions: Remington
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
none LoL.. it barely rubs on the seat braces and when strapped down no contact. Its tight. There is room behind the P to store it. Thanks all

What model toy hauler did you get?
I can see you went with a slide model, sure does make it tight eh :D

Just some friendly caution; I have the same type of bed setup as you, those little support legs find themselves in the down position often... especially getting out when you're not thinking about them, then you drive right into them bending the crap out em. See if you can find a way to Velcro or strap them up.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What model toy hauler did you get?
I can see you went with a slide model, sure does make it tight eh :D

Just some friendly caution; I have the same type of bed setup as you, those little support legs find themselves in the down position often... especially getting out when you're not thinking about them, then you drive right into them bending the crap out em. See if you can find a way to Velcro or strap them up.

Momentum 25G. Thanks on the legs plan on taking them off during transport mode. I thought i was going to have to remove the top bed but don’t so I am happy about that.. I’ll prop end up getting a thin fiber typer top eventually.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Momentum 25G. Thanks on the legs plan on taking them off during transport mode. I thought i was going to have to remove the top bed but don’t so I am happy about that.. I’ll prop end up getting a thin fiber typer top eventually.

That's a great choice, one of my best friends has that very model, mine is very similar.
I think you'll love it.
If you have issues with sway, if you haven't already look at the hitch I mentioned earlier or the Equal-i-zer's 4-point sway control...either are good choices. Get one that is rated for your total max loaded capacity.

Have fun :D

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What would happen if you drop those bed to the sides like mine, can you still pull in? Reason I ask, if you can drop them and still pull your machine in, you won’t have to remove your top and save you the headache of removing it and re installing it all the time.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a great choice, one of my best friends has that very model, mine is very similar.
I think you'll love it.
If you have issues with sway, if you haven't already look at the hitch I mentioned earlier or the Equal-i-zer's 4-point sway control...either are good choices. Get one that is rated for your total max loaded capacity.

Have fun :D

thanks for the info..

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What would happen if you drop those bed to the sides like mine, can you still pull in? Reason I ask, if you can drop them and still pull your machine in, you won’t have to remove your top and save you the headache of removing it and re installing it all the time.

Good point I was in a rush a the dealer so I didn’t try that and it may work. Thinking that I Could load with slide out and then use my ratchet straps to pull the ass end over snug against the folded down couch. This would certainly help with height. The cool thing about the kitchen slide is that i can enter/exit the pioneer through the door and not climbing through the roll cage.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may also be able to lift the lower bed a bit by having spacers made.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good point I was in a rush a the dealer so I didn’t try that and it may work. Thinking that I Could load with slide out and then use my ratchet straps to pull the ass end over snug against the folded down couch. This would certainly help with height. The cool thing about the kitchen slide is that i can enter/exit the pioneer through the door and not climbing through the roll cage.
The other good thing about that if it works for you, is that those little leg brackets on the bottom there are easy to brake off when your machine is moving around in there.

W

Wyo-Jerry

May 15, 2018
Buffalo, Wy
Ownership

1. 500
I'm near positive just taking the roof off the clamps will be enough, they take up a lot of space, not to mention the stress creases they mold in the top for rigidity, they make the roof quite a bit taller. But almost for sure taking it off completely and putting it to the side.
A lot of my friends use the fiber roof for this reason, it's also quieter inside the buggy.

As for the tires I've done that, I don't recall but around 6 lbs or so, you don't want to roll them of course and if they are high ply you don't want to break the sidewall tread...use this method as a lost resort in my opinion. I've also done the changing tire method, as simple as it is if you go often that becomes a lot of work ;) But you got to do what you got to do. I almost think strapping down would be easier than changing tires...not to mention you have to haul them around everywhere taking more space and adding weight.

Please let us know what works I'm curious now as to the solution?
I’m running the P5 and had the same problem; tried ratcheting. Ended up replacing the OEM roof with a flat after-market hard plastic roof.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!