Toy Hauler!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Now I want a Toy Hauler too... F every one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMO, Unless you use a lot or go places without good lodging options, it's not really worth it. On trips to TN, I prefer just pulling trailer and getting a cabin. If we didnt use it to camp locally a lot, I wouldnt have one.

I would like to move to a small Class C motorhome and just pull sxs on trailer. Especially since we only have 1500 truck and really don't have need for larger truck except to pull camper. Seems like a nice used class C costs about the same as a newer 3/4 ton truck. This would also hopefully allow me to pull 2 sxs on trailer when desired.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMO, Unless you use a lot or go places without good lodging options, it's not really worth it. On trips to TN, I prefer just pulling trailer and getting a cabin. If we didnt use it to camp locally a lot, I wouldnt have one.

I would like to move to a small Class C motorhome and just pull sxs on trailer. Especially since we only have 1500 truck and really don't have need for larger truck except to pull camper. Seems like a nice used class C costs about the same as a newer 3/4 ton truck. This would also hopefully allow me to pull 2 sxs on trailer when desired.
That makes a lot of sense. I grew up camping all over the country…in a pop up Jayco and had a blast. I’d love to do that again as I near retirement, and take the Pioneer with me but it’s a purchase I’d probably regret. I’d have to watch weight as I’ve got a stout truck (21 Trailboss with the 6.2) but it’s still a 1500.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah my wife thought that too…kids hated it and would stay with the grandparents cause that’s where the action was as they said.

that wall separating everything really eats up a ton of limited space in the layout.
Our family is a little older crowd and I think that contributes to the appreciation of privacy. We don't have kids yet. I agree with your assessment. That is one of the reasons we liked the grey wolf so much.

Reactions: Backwoods
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Robobrainiac there has been quite a few threads on this subject. There is one that is full of differnt options that I had to take a bit longer in the the search (20 pages) to find that started way back in 17’ that Ill post the link too. But if your patient and use the search in TH’s you will find other threads that are a wealth of info of various TH’s, there quality, and the trucks used to haul them that will get u what u want dam near as close as Brandon’s sniffer when hes near a child!

Thank you! I will take some time this evening to look over your link.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Our family is a little older crowd and I think that contributes to the appreciation of privacy. We don't have kids yet. I agree with your assessment. That is one of the reasons we liked the grey wolf so much.
Just quick looking I like the features of the Heartland Fuel Sport 250...mainly for the king size bed up front. Not sure on garage clearance but looks like it might work

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Prices are interesting for sure. We thought about a motor home. I think for us we do some much work ourselves on the mechanic side of vehicles we like the thought of being able to work on our truck. It seemed when looking at motor homes class c were decent in price. Most seem to use "standard" powertrains. Like GM or Ford v10 or duramax/powerstroke. That seems appealing.
Class A new can get expensive but used they seem to lose alot of value/can be purchased cheaper. Those intrigue me but mechanically seem out of my personal capabilities. Class B are just ridiculous. Used or new they're gold and seem to be weird and small. That's just my opinion.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes a lot of sense. I grew up camping all over the country…in a pop up Jayco and had a blast. I’d love to do that again as I near retirement, and take the Pioneer with me but it’s a purchase I’d probably regret. I’d have to watch weight as I’ve got a stout truck (21 Trailboss with the 6.2) but it’s still a 1500.
I am a GM mechanic and I can say with assurance your 6.2 1500 will pull ANY pop-up/fold up. I cannot imagine any pop up that would be too heavy. The things I have seen customers tow is also sketchy sometimes :p. I personally would not hesitate for a minute on anything 8k lbs or less on the rear of the 6.2 1500 towed across country.

I am not sure if you have seen any "modern" pop ups but the hard sided fold ups are really neat and seem to have better insulation.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am a GM mechanic and I can say with assurance your 6.2 1500 will pull ANY pop-up/fold up. I cannot imagine any pop up that would be too heavy. The things I have seen customers tow is also sketchy sometimes :p. I personally would not hesitate for a minute on anything 8k lbs or less on the rear of the 6.2 1500 towed across country.

I am not sure if you have seen any "modern" pop ups but the hard sided fold ups are really neat and seem to have better insulation.
Mom and Dad had an A-liner in the past and it was pretty cool. As for me I'd rather have the toy hauler/RV style...I like my creature comforts. The Fuel Sport 250 is 6700lbs dry weight and then add the Pioneer and stuff...Not sure it would be a fun tow.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mom and Dad had an A-liner in the past and it was pretty cool. As for me I'd rather have the toy hauler/RV style...I like my creature comforts. The Fuel Sport 250 is 6700lbs dry weight and then add the Pioneer and stuff...Not sure it would be a fun tow.
After pioneer, supplies, food, passengers, you would be well over 8k lbs. I think it would pull it if you needed it to but I would agree it would not be fun.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I haven't priced RVs lately but I'm sure they have SKYROCKETED since pre-covid FJB.....I had a 5er once and it was nice but we hardly used it but a couple months of every year.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve never understood the obsession in this type of thread about GVWR….and bogeyman lawyers…both are baseless at best…especially GVWR once you understand how it’s “calculated “.

What you absolutely shouldn’t exceed is your axel rating. This is where the rubber meets the road. For the longest time the 3/4 and one ton models in SRW have the exact same setup except for the badges on the cab which is related to license and registration purposes than anything esle.

The OPs suggested trailer is easily managed by ANY properly equipped 1/2 ton truck made in the past 10 years. The idea that a dually 550 is needed is simply nuts.

Of course if you want to roll with a semi truck pulling a garden trailer…that’s your choice , money, etc…
I'm guessing this is directed toward me. I never did say he better hurry up and buy a 550 to haul that camper. That's just what I have as a daily driver because I tow 27,000 pounds at least 2 or 3 times a week for work. I'm fortunate that the company I work for gives me a nice truck to drive that can also be used for personal use.
At work we have F-150's all the way up to my 550. I've driven them all and towed a lot of different stuff. Sure a 1/2 ton will handle a 12,000 pound camper most of the time but it's nice being prepared for certain situations that could be avoided with a bigger truck that is not at max towing capacity that can handle the load easier. I would say that today's half ton trucks are probably equivalent to 3/4 ton trucks from 20 years ago or more.

I would add too that one big factor in deciding on a truck to use as a tow vehicle is how much will you be towing with it.

I was just telling the OP my most recent experience with towing my camper. If all I had was a 2003 Dodge 2500 then that's what I'd be using to pull my camper with.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm guessing this is directed toward me. I never did say he better hurry up and buy a 550 to haul that camper. That's just what I have as a daily driver because I tow 27,000 pounds at least 2 or 3 times a week for work. I'm fortunate that the company I work for gives me a nice truck to drive that can also be used for personal use.
At work we have F-150's all the way up to my 550. I've driven them all and towed a lot of different stuff. Sure a 1/2 ton will handle a 12,000 pound camper most of the time but it's nice being prepared for certain situations that could be avoided with a bigger truck that is not at max towing capacity that can handle the load easier. I would say that today's half ton trucks are probably equivalent to 3/4 ton trucks from 20 years ago or more.

I would add too that one big factor in deciding on a truck to use as a tow vehicle is how much will you be towing with it.

I was just telling the OP my most recent experience with towing my camper. If all I had was a 2003 Dodge 2500 then that's what I'd be using to pull my camper with.
I owned several 550s they are great trucks. Here’s my 260 behind it. A few months ago I traded it for a new 250 which pulls it effortlessly. But the 550 was great 0 sway no matter how fast or conditions

5B465A9A 0890 4DCD 94D0 36A97150661D

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I owned several 550s they are great trucks. Here’s my 260 behind it. A few months ago I traded it for a new 250 which pulls it effortlessly. But the 550 was great 0 sway no matter how fast or conditions

View attachment 364882
Thats a nice 550, did you have a 6.4 in it?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I kept this one 11 yrs it had 89,000 miles at trade in. I know the 6.4 had issues but this one never did. Only maintenance and not one single repair.
I had an 08' 6.4 till 14' when i bought my platinum. Had the 6.4 till 180k miles. Was a good truck. I deleted it at 100k when it was out of warranty. The knock on it was the early DPF was hard on up pipes and turbo seals. If u deleted it, just stock not adding the tune she was a ripper. Mine was a 250