WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tow capacities should be in your owners manual. The door sticker has some important numbers on it too, axle weight ratings and GCVWR (total weight of truck, cargo, and trailer). If you exceed any of those and are in a wreck the lawyers will be on you like rabid badgers.
Yep

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So for the last couple of years my wife and I have been saving up for a toy hauler. We recently just found out the grey wolf 26MBRR is not tall enough for our pioneer. So after doing some more searching I think we have settled on the Stryker 3313.

How much is too much weight?

Does anyone have any toy hauler recommendations?

I feel like I should invest in a dually if I go 5th wheel.

My truck is a 2003 ram 2500 cummins.

Thank you everyone for your time!

How much too tall on your old TH? Might be able to give u some ideas on what to do to get that rig in there.

Yes you should be fine with your truck on a bumper pull. a dully is nice with a 5er depending on the length and weight also preferred with a long bed iLook at your inside door tag to get some info on your truck. Or like you said spygoole search will get you close as well. Also on your door tag is your axel identification, you will also want to know that as well.

I personally dont like seeing a 3/4 ton or a 1-ton with a short bed on a 5er. We can discuss that later if u go with a 5er.

If your wondering, My Truck is a F350 6.7PS 8’ bed with air bags. 18,5k max My 5er is 38’ 2 axel. 17k capacity loaded with cargo and tanks including the 30gal gas tank.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your wondering, My Truck is a F350 6.7PS 8’ bed with air bags. 18,5k max My 5er is 38’ 2 axel. 17k capacity loaded with cargo and tanks including the 30gal gas tank.
According to Ford your truck towing capacity is 15,700 pounds for 5th wheel towing. You have a 2016 right?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much too tall on your old TH? Might be able to give u some ideas on what to do to get that rig in there.

Yes you should be fine with your truck on a bumper pull. a dully is nice with a 5er depending on the length and weight also preferred with a long bed iLook at your inside door tag to get some info on your truck. Or like you said spygoole search will get you close as well. Also on your door tag is your axel identification, you will also want to know that as well.

I personally dont like seeing a 3/4 ton or a 1-ton with a short bed on a 5er. We can discuss that later if u go with a 5er.

If your wondering, My Truck is a F350 6.7PS 8’ bed with air bags. 18,5k max My 5er is 38’ 2 axel. 17k capacity loaded with cargo and tanks including the 30gal gas tank
My truck is a 2003 ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 short bed. I have not had a toy hauler yet, we just had our eyes on a grey wolf 26MBRR. We just really liked the layout. I will have to double check but I think the grey wolf was 74 inches tall, our pioneer should be 81 inches tall after the c-fab arms and potential tires. The stryker we are now looking at I believe is 96 inches tall.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My truck is a 2003 ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 short bed. I have not had a toy hauler yet, we just had our eyes on a grey wolf 26MBRR. We just really liked the layout. I will have to double check but I think the grey wolf was 74 inches tall, our pioneer should be 81 inches tall after the c-fab arms and potential tires. The stryker we are now looking at I believe is 96 inches tall.
Time for a roof chop 😉.....you're welcome 😂😂

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I thought about that but I fear I would hit my head. I somehow hit my head on the rearview mirror and cracked it.
No you wont. Mine is 4-1/2” copped, Im 6’-2” almost 3 but I say 2 with boots for sure 3 and I dont hit my head. Chopping especially with arms, was one of the best mods Ive ever done and I have a load of mods lol

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry, I miss quoted your post. I was at my Bowling League tonight and reading between shots.

If u really want that Gray wolf, chop your top. Otherwise get the Stryker. There a much better quality built TH inside and out, and you will get better enjoyment of it and resale if u sell it to upgrade. My first one was a cheaper one and I upgraded not long after.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I miss quoted your post. I was at my Bowling League tonight and reading between shots.

If u really want that Gray wolf, chop your top. Otherwise get the Stryker. There a much better quality built TH inside and out, and you will get better enjoyment of it and resale if u sell it to upgrade. My first one was a cheaper one and I upgraded not long after.
We haven't seen the Stryker in person yet but on paper it seems much nicer. Currently there is no one local with the exact 3313 model. We will have to make a trip Arkansas at some point.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
By those numbers, 13.8K, I would guess your going to be over because that is dry weight and by the time you add people, gear, food, machine, etc. you'll want a dually. I know a guy with a RV at just over 14K and he had a F450 and you knew it was behind you.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We have 3 Jayco Octanes in our group. Model 265 mine, 272 and 273. I put a 4 sear talon in my 265. We use it more for camping than a toy hauler, but all three of us have had good luck with them. They are a lighter camper, but seem to be built good(for a camper). I pull mine without sxs to camp with a Ram 1500. Usually borrow parents F350 for longer trips with sxs. So far I have really been happy with it. One of the smallest and lightest campers that fit a 4 seater and pulls great. Pioneer fits tight in sisters 272, friends 273 probably wouldnt fit a pioneer. The 260 would be another option.

Another friend has a Stryker 28-something. He likes it but is having roof issues with it at 3 years old and it is always stored inside unless in use. Caulk is cracking and rubber roof has wave in it. I think it's a 2020. Our octanes or 2017 and 2018s

E860FE28 379D 4765 93DB 31FC7299609C E70E1467 D07F 4714 BAF9 68E5EAC98F53

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Originally we were looking at the open floor plans but my wife likes the concept of the garage converting to its own bedroom with bathroom on the 3313. Bringing family on a camping trip allows them to have their own space to relax in.
Yeah my wife thought that too…kids hated it and would stay with the grandparents cause that’s where the action was as they said.

that wall separating everything really eats up a ton of limited space in the layout.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve never understood the obsession in this type of thread about GVWR….and bogeyman lawyers…both are baseless at best…especially GVWR once you understand how it’s “calculated “.

What you absolutely shouldn’t exceed is your axel rating. This is where the rubber meets the road. For the longest time the 3/4 and one ton models in SRW have the exact same setup except for the badges on the cab which is related to license and registration purposes than anything esle.

The OPs suggested trailer is easily managed by ANY properly equipped 1/2 ton truck made in the past 10 years. The idea that a dually 550 is needed is simply nuts.

Of course if you want to roll with a semi truck pulling a garden trailer…that’s your choice , money, etc…

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Robobrainiac there has been quite a few threads on this subject. There is one that is full of differnt options that I had to take a bit longer in the the search (20 pages) to find that started way back in 17’ that Ill post the link too. But if your patient and use the search in TH’s you will find other threads that are a wealth of info of various TH’s, there quality, and the trucks used to haul them that will get u what u want dam near as close as Brandon’s sniffer when hes near a child!