Toy Hauler!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So for the last couple of years my wife and I have been saving up for a toy hauler. We recently just found out the grey wolf 26MBRR is not tall enough for our pioneer. So after doing some more searching I think we have settled on the Stryker 3313.

How much is too much weight?

Does anyone have any toy hauler recommendations?

I feel like I should invest in a dually if I go 5th wheel.

My truck is a 2003 ram 2500 cummins.

Thank you everyone for your time!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off the top of my head @trigger @Backwoods or @Ridinfool might have some advice for ya on toy haulers and tow vehicles. @CumminsPusher will probably approve of your current motor choice

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I once had a pretty big 5th wheel and pulled it with a D’Max 2500 no problem.
Compare your truck‘s towing capacity to the GVWR of the 5er. If it can pull that much weight you are good to go. Don’t let the salesman bulls*** you into exceeding capacity. He just wants to make the sale, after you leave the lot you can’t claim he said it was okay. Well, you can, but it won’t hold up in court.
Your truck is pre-DEF, is it not? I would hang on to that.
How high is the garage door opening?

Last edited:
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I pull a fuel 260. It’s around 8000lbs, 31 ft. I have a 2022 F250 that pulls it great. I will eventually trade for a 5th wheel with same truck but will keep the weight reasonable. It can haul any size sxs.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So for the last couple of years my wife and I have been saving up for a toy hauler. We recently just found out the grey wolf 26MBRR is not tall enough for our pioneer. So after doing some more searching I think we have settled on the Stryker 3313.

How much is too much weight?

Does anyone have any toy hauler recommendations?

I feel like I should invest in a dually if I go 5th wheel.

My truck is a 2003 ram 2500 cummins.

Thank you everyone for your time!

You’ll be fine with your 2500.

You might want to consider loosing the garage part and go straight to open floor concept. You’ll like that you won’t have the sardine can feeling when you want / need to take cover from the elements.

My FILs FUEL bumper pull rv was this way and we hung out more in that vs the big Wolfpack 325pack13 I had, simply because theirs had more liveable space than mine did even though my rig was 15’ longer.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Compare your truck‘s towing capacity to the GVWR of the 5er. If it can pull that much weight you are good to go. Don’t let the salesman bulls*** you into exceeding capacity. He just wants to make the sale, after you leave the lot you can’t claim he said it was okay. Well, you can, but it won’t hold up in court.
I'll second the part about GVWR rating and not the imaginary dry weight that the salesman will tell you to go by.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a work and play 25wab, I’m fairly happy with it but it’s a tight squeeze with a P1K

3F4105C1 3B66 4F07 A632 2E45EC58DB6F 681C0BEB 6E3A 4B84 8F22 AEE19E17B4EB E2C57035 9339 4D68 9CA7 294F40A3AA4E

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am pre DEF and love it. I have done a few mods to my truck and it pulls better than anything I have ever owned. I haven't found any concrete information on what the truck is capable of towing. I called my local dodge dealership and gave them my VIN and they were only able to give me max rear hitch towing. They said the truck did not have a factory option for gooseneck or 5th wheel so they don't have OE specs on that. You have to use the information provided by your aftermarket hitch choice. They can only provide max gvrw.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’ll be fine with your 2500.

You might want to consider loosing the garage part and go straight to open floor concept. You’ll like that you won’t have the sardine can feeling when you want / need to take cover from the elements.

My FILs FUEL bumper pull rv was this way and we hung out more in that vs the big Wolfpack 325pack13 I had, simply because theirs had more liveable space than mine did even though my rig was 15’ longer.
Originally we were looking at the open floor plans but my wife likes the concept of the garage converting to its own bedroom with bathroom on the 3313. Bringing family on a camping trip allows them to have their own space to relax in.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
How well does your pioneer fit along the sink?
It’s close. It would be better if the cabinets on the other wall didn’t go the length of it. I don’t have a pioneer anymore. I have an RMAX now but it fits good as well. It was was more than tall enough.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am pre DEF and love it. I have done a few mods to my truck and it pulls better than anything I have ever owned. I haven't found any concrete information on what the truck is capable of towing. I called my local dodge dealership and gave them my VIN and they were only able to give me max rear hitch towing. They said the truck did not have a factory option for gooseneck or 5th wheel so they don't have OE specs on that. You have to use the information provided by your aftermarket hitch choice. They can only provide max gvrw.
Tow capacities should be in your owners manual. The door sticker has some important numbers on it too, axle weight ratings and GCVWR (total weight of truck, cargo, and trailer). If you exceed any of those and are in a wreck the lawyers will be on you like rabid badgers.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just bought a 30' work and play back in September. Dry weight is 9,064 lbs. GVWR is 13,168 lbs. I haven't weighed it but I'm figuring with the pioneer in it the weight is probably 12,000. I pull it with a 2018 F-550 which doesn't even know its back there. We went camping a few weeks ago without the pioneer in it. My 550 happened to be in the shop (got a tank full of bad fuel) and had to pull the camper with a 2016 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.7. Had to use the weight distribution hitch with it. It pulled it fine but I defintely feel better with my 550. The biggest difference between the two trucks is the handling and braking. Towing capacity for the 250 is 14,000 pounds. I guess I just feel a lot more comfortable having dual rear wheels. On the way back home from camping that weekend it was torrential downpour and defintely had to take it easy driving that 250. My wife sure didn't like being in that truck in that situation.
Unless your truck is 2wd single cab then it's probably closer to the 13,000 pound towing capacity that Google says. I honestly think that's a high number for a 2003. I'm sure most situations you would be fine. Defintely recommend a dually if you get a 5th wheel. I cringe everytime I see a 3/4 ton towing a huge 5th wheel camper.