P1000 Valves rattling & someone's knocking!

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I am under load, like climbing a hill, and the transmission upshifts, and the RPMs drop, my valves rattle BAD. Sounds like an old diesel tractor on a cold morning! I still have plenty of power and can pull out of it or just maintain speed, grit my teeth and deal with it.

I don't have paddle shifters so I am at the mercy of the stupid decisions this strange tranny makes.

Also, in the past few hours of riding I have developed a strange knock. Very hard to describe. Could be a backfire, U-joint popping, or a big stick hitting the underside. I haven't learned how to dependably reproduce it yet. Seems to happen most when decellerating which makes me think backfire. But also happens sometimes when cruising at a constant lower speed. In all cases you can feel it in your feet through the floorboards.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reactions: TxDoc
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I am under load, like climbing a hill, and the transmission upshifts, and the RPMs drop, my valves rattle BAD. Sounds like an old diesel tractor on a cold morning! I still have plenty of power and can pull out of it or just maintain speed, grit my teeth and deal with it.

I don't have paddle shifters so I am at the mercy of the stupid decisions this strange tranny makes.

Also, in the past few hours of riding I have developed a strange knock. Very hard to describe. Could be a backfire, U-joint popping, or a big stick hitting the underside. I haven't learned how to dependably reproduce it yet. Seems to happen most when decellerating which makes me think backfire. But also happens sometimes when cruising at a constant lower speed. In all cases you can feel it in your feet through the floorboards.

Anybody got any ideas?
The 1000 will produce a rattling type noice when it’s somewhat lugging, that is normal. I think it’s coming from under the floorboard.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think you are describing spark knock.
Try using high test fuel and avoid lugging the engine. Keep the RPMS up.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Anybody got any ideas?
Troubleshoot the problem by putting your machine in 4WD. If the low rpm rattle goes away when in 4WD, this is "normal" for these machines. It's the front driveline slack that makes a rattling sound when not under load. If noise continues in 4WD, keep digging. Let us know!!!

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The 1000 will produce a rattling type noice when it’s somewhat lugging, that is normal. I think it’s coming from under the floorboard.
Never experienced that? But we have the shifters and rarely lug?

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never experienced that? But we have the shifters and rarely lug?
I can make mine do it, to your point it’s always when in auto and not using the paddles.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!