Multi Viper Winch remote not working - solved

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a Viper 4500 Elite from the club store. The wireless remote receiver has been always on, red wire to power, up until today. Now I have a relay controlling the aux fuse panel, so it’s off unless the relay is energized.
Before today the red light on the wireless receiver was always on, but naturally the light is out when the relay is off.
So I turn on the relay, and the light stays off. The remote, she don’t work. I have to push the little button to make the light come on and then it all works again.
This means I’m going to have to open the hood and push the button every time I want to use the winch remote. A very inconvenient feature.
Is this normal, or am I missing something?
If there’s no way to change it, I’m going to have to relocate the receiver to a more convenient location.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The red wire coming out of the wireless box should of always been to a key-on or switched circuit.
The remote comes pre-programed out of the box but you can initializing re-programing by pushing the button on the box.
Once programed it should not need to be programed again.

Before each use, the wireless link to the box will need to be "waked up".
You do this by holding BOTH remote buttons for 5 or so seconds.
Once a bit of non use time passes the link will fall back to sleep.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, it’s all good. I held the two buttons down and counted off five seconds. The light on the receiver lit up at about 3. The winch worked.
Maybe next time I have a brain fart I’ll stop to smell the roses before posting a dumb question.

Young7867

Young7867

Jul 25, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also having some remote issues I have installed new batteries held both buttons on remote and IN works fine but out button I have to push alot harder and sometimes I have to play with it to get to work because it takes a few tries of holding down both buttons to finally getting it to work and remote worked perfectly fine first couple of days it's only a couple week's old. Wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used my viper winch for the first time after installing it almost a year ago. Had to move a 1000 lb. rock in my back yard about 4 ft. Held both buttons down for a few seconds and it worked great.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also having some remote issues I have installed new batteries held both buttons on remote and IN works fine but out button I have to push alot harder and sometimes I have to play with it to get to work because it takes a few tries of holding down both buttons to finally getting it to work and remote worked perfectly fine first couple of days it's only a couple week's old. Wondering if anyone else was having this issue.
Sounds like you have a bad button on the remote or maybe an intermittent connection. If it’s under warranty, get it swapped out. If not, take it apart and poke around.
I think the club store sells new remotes if you can’t fix it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!