P500 Walker Evans or Elka Stage 3

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
When you get your W.E. shocks, if they don't soak up bumps enough for you, and you don't bottom out much, W.E can re-valve them for you to let some more oil flow through making them softer. Me being only 142 lbs. mostly slower riding, my new W.E. were helping soften some, but not as much as I expected, sent them back for re-valve, they are better but not much. From my experience, and maybe others, I suspect W.E. has put my re-valve into new shocks being sent out, possibly same complaints they weren't soaking up bump as much as people wanted. I have my turn valve knobs all the way soft, would like them even softer, W.E. tech said he doesn't want me bottoming out all the time, it takes a harsh rut 15 to 25 mph for me to bottom out, and it only happened once because I was trying to bottom out.
Thank you for the heads up. When I ordered them, I was told that they have the lighter springs then when they first were released so hopefully that helps a bit. I'm about 60 lbs heavier than you so we will see how these things work for me. But again, thanks for letting me know your experience with them. I would hate to have spent the $ only to find that I don't like them and then feel stuck thinking I can't do anything to improve it.

Reactions: Arizona
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you for the heads up. When I ordered them, I was told that they have the lighter springs then when they first were released so hopefully that helps a bit. I'm about 60 lbs heavier than you so we will see how these things work for me. But again, thanks for letting me know your experience with them. I would hate to have spent the $ only to find that I don't like them and then feel stuck thinking I can't do anything to improve it.
Did they ask what accessories you are running, like wheels tires, lift, custom bumpers, winch, ect, I guess they were needing the info for spring selection.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Glad my info helped you. Mine do have the newer version lighter springs that are colored red. Went for a P-500 ride Sunday, and remembered that the faster we go, the better the W.E. shocks soak up bumps & ruts, but going fairly slow, they don't cushion much. I am often slower riding with my 3 dogs and wish they soaked up bumps better, then I go for a faster ride by myself and wow, they really come to life and work wonders, kind of floats over bumps now instead of the harsh banging with the stock shocks.

Reactions: trigger
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
They did not. The lighter springs now come standard (from what I understand). When I called W.E and asked if they needed specifics, they said the shocks with the lighter springs will be fine for most. But if I was a heavier guy with lots of heavy accessories, and drove with the pedal to the floor most of the time the heavier springs might be better. The P500 spends most of it's time with me and a child passenger in it so I don't race around much.
(Disclaimer:. "Me" and "a child passanger" are two separate people despite what my wife may say. )
Did they ask what accessories you are running, like wheels tires, lift, custom bumpers, winch, ect, I guess they were needing the info for spring selection.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They did not. The lighter springs now come standard (from what I understand). When I called W.E and asked if they needed specifics, they said the shocks with the lighter springs will be fine for most. But if I was a heavier guy with lots of heavy accessories, and drove with the pedal to the floor most of the time the heavier springs might be better. The P500 spends most of it's time with me and a child passenger in it so I don't race around much.
(Disclaimer:. "Me" and "a child passanger" are two separate people despite what my wife may say. )

Think you will be fine, you didn't have shocks before the WE's!

Reactions: educ8tedguess
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I have always wondered how/why some seem so glued to their phones, tablets, etc... How could one little device have such an impact that it becomes more important than the world around them. I think I get it now; everyone is waiting for something to ship and every time their phone buzzes, dings, or beeps, they hope it's their item being shipped.

I feel like Pavlov's Dogs every time my phone makes a noise. Today is two weeks since I ordered my shocks and for some reason I feel that every email, text, etc... is going to be my shipping notification. Ugh... I better be careful or my wife will think I have a girlfriend.

bigr244

bigr244

Mar 23, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500
@educ8tedguess I am so excited for you and the new purchase! As you know we rode up north this past weekend. 60% of the trails were like washboards. My wife refused to get back in the p5 after a few miles and she and my daughter is who we bought it for. So I have decided to hold off on any accessories until I can afford the suspension upgrade. I would think this is the best place to put $$$. As for the rest of the weekend I got about 20 miles in the seat. After this I let my oldest daughter drive and we couldn't pry her out of the seat!! She loved the bumps. LOL. I am thinking of turning the shocks all the way down and removing the sway bar in the interim. Thoughts?

Reactions: Gassygordo
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have always wondered how/why some seem so glued to their phones, tablets, etc... How could one little device have such an impact that it becomes more important than the world around them. I think I get it now; everyone is waiting for something to ship and every time their phone buzzes, dings, or beeps, they hope it's their item being shipped.

I feel like Pavlov's Dogs every time my phone makes a noise. Today is two weeks since I ordered my shocks and for some reason I feel that every email, text, etc... is going to be my shipping notification. Ugh... I better be careful or my wife will think I have a girlfriend.
My Elka's took 7 days to come from Canada, soon followed by the tax bill!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
My shocks came in and I can't wait to get them installed. Unfortunately my P500 is sitting at the dealer with a faulty seal and u joint problem ( related to the seal) on the front drive. Been there for a week and a day...I'm getting anxious and am running out of garage time before I leave for my next ride. It's going to be close....
It's always something. Just didn't expect that something to occur at 302 miles...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My shocks came in and I can't wait to get them installed. Unfortunately my P500 is sitting at the dealer with a faulty seal and u joint problem ( related to the seal) on the front drive. Been there for a week and a day...I'm getting anxious and am running out of garage time before I leave for my next ride. It's going to be close....
It's always something. Just didn't expect that something to occur at 302 miles...

Are they waiting on parts?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I don't know what the holdup is. They are usually good with communication but this time I've got nothing. When I called for an update, the service manager said he would check the status and call me back. I called the next day after not hearing anything and it was a different person and he didn't know the status either. So, I will be calling again today
Are they waiting on parts?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't know what the holdup is. They are usually good with communication but this time I've got nothing. When I called for an update, the service manager said he would check the status and call me back. I called the next day after not hearing anything and it was a different person and he didn't know the status either. So, I will be calling again today

Strange?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Finally got time to get the shocks and everything else installed. Shock installation was pretty simple thanks to a buddy and his forklift. The SSS skids we're a little more difficult but not too bad. I will say that I was a little disappointed in how the Skids came out. When we lined it all up, the driver's side rocker guard had about a 3/4 inch gap while the passenger side had to flex a bit. All the holes lined up properly but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that. I did try to center it on my own but then the holes that needed to be tapped didn't line up right. Oh well, right? Now I want to ride

Cf97281e2f280355032b482dc6dd2735B38ec5945d613de8d68f32edc102be3a9cedc4033f8539b57c333b28799b249eF0c9174c51f4dbde6068dcd3ebaf600e

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got time to get the shocks and everything else installed. Shock installation was pretty simple thanks to a buddy and his forklift. The SSS skids we're a little more difficult but not too bad. I will say that I was a little disappointed in how the Skids came out. When we lined it all up, the driver's side rocker guard had about a 3/4 inch gap while the passenger side had to flex a bit. All the holes lined up properly but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that. I did try to center it on my own but then the holes that needed to be tapped didn't line up right. Oh well, right? Now I want to ride

View attachment 79693View attachment 79694View attachment 79695View attachment 79696

My skid was the same way. It’s tough though.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
F

View attachment 79693View attachment 79694View attachment 79695View attachment 79696

Fit lose and have a rubber mallet and a few beers, HA!

Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500

Sooooo.....whats the verdict?? Do you like the WE shocks? Also thinking of making this purchase and would love the feedback.

Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sooooo.....whats the verdict?? Do you like the WE shocks? Also thinking of making this purchase and would love the feedback.

Thanks!
You need to come to the Take Over and sample the shocks, depending how you ride, will make a difference on your choice. A lot of our members really like the Foxes and are very simple to adjust and maybe the WE as well. My Elka Stage 5's aren't simple but dang!

Reactions: b_king1
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

Thanks!
The verdict is, they were awesome. Much easier to carry speed without abusing your body, much less whiplash, much more fun. Honestly, a huge difference over stock.
BUT
If you do upgrade, make sure you widen your machine. I didn't and while enjoying the new comfy ride, I tipped the P500 on it's side and hit a tree.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The verdict is, they were awesome. Much easier to carry speed without abusing your body, much less whiplash, much more fun. Honestly, a huge difference over stock.
BUT
If you do upgrade, make sure you widen your machine. I didn't and while enjoying the new comfy ride, I tipped the P500 on it's side and hit a tree.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Pics or it didn’t happen;)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!