P1000 Warn Vantage 4000 or ProVantage 4500?

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Considering a Warn winch for my 1000. Looking at a Vantage 4000 or a ProVantage 4500. I don't plan on using it often as I avoid deep mud. I'd just like to have a reliable capable winch for when my wife and I ride alone. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of the forest and have no recovery options.

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure the Honda 4000# winch is the Warn Vantage 4000. I've had the Honda 4000 for a while now. It's a fine winch. It has been powerful enough to pull the machine out of every situation. Sometimes I must use a snatch block to make it stronger. Don't forget to carry one of those with you as well. Get some gloves, snatch block, Clovis, and tree strap. Some places sell a kit that will have all those items in it. I think I bought mine at tractor supply.

J

JTW

Seems like most are going with either the a warn or superwinch Terra 45... I've got the Terra and have no complaints.
IMG 4165
Amazon.com: Superwinch 1145220 Terra 45 ATV & Utility Winch (4500lbs/2046kg Rating): Automotive

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Considering a Warn winch for my 1000. Looking at a Vantage 4000 or a ProVantage 4500. I don't plan on using it often as I avoid deep mud. I'd just like to have a reliable capable winch for when my wife and I ride alone. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of the forest and have no recovery options.
You can order the warn replacement non synthetic really reasonable then buy the relay, switch,good jumper cables to cut and synthetic rope and be in it almost half. I believe in warn

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
After talking with a bunch of jeep guys at work I opted for a Bad lands winch from Harbor Freight. I was skeptical but it is a well built machine. It's 5000# with all the wiring. It was $160 with a coupon. Normally $180. Has a warranty and you can buy and extended one. It has performed flawlessly. It's mounted with the KMI kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How is everyone’s winch’s holding up?

Do I really need the Honda winch mount kit that costs $300?
08L73-HL4-F01

Reactions: TimG and sharp
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
No, you do not need to buy a mounting plate, assuming you are handy and/or have access to someone near to assist you in the fabrication of a mounting plate.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
As for a winch, there are many quality products out there and either one, 4 or 4.5K will handle a P1000. A few items to consider when selecting a winch and the possibility of being way out there with limited access to people, etc., is safety. I have owned several winches and all with synthetic rope plus you can buy additional rope to extend yourself reasonable cheap, plus it is light weight. There are differences between wire vs. rope, when looking at application, overall safety, etc., but given the description you presented, I would strongly consider synthetic rope over wire/cable, my opinion only….

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i like the super winch too, hey can handle the same or more abuse as warn and cost way less. the first one i got lasted like 14 years and three machines without anything but cable breaks, wanted to get the terra 45 this time so i can be sure it can easily pull the pioneer first thing i did was change it to the rope. lasts way longer in the mud and floats, nicer to handle

advertisement
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
08L73-HL4-F01[/QUOTE]

NO, you can buy a KFI winch plate or many others made for your machine for about $50. Look on ebay or amazon.

Just remembered !
@Hondasxs has one in his store on this site for $49. that might work for you as well.

BTW, I have a Warn Vantage 4000 and a KFI winch plate on mine.

Last edited:
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
i like the super winch too, hey can handle the same or more abuse as warn and cost way less. the first one i got lasted like 14 years and three machines without anything but cable breaks, wanted to get the terra 45 this time so i can be sure it can easily pull the pioneer first thing i did was change it to the rope. lasts way longer in the mud and floats, nicer to handle
Nice write up on experience! When the cable broke was it under pressure?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
use it a ton in the mud the metal one lasted about 6 mon before the grit tore it apart, i got amsteel and the mud doesnt soak into that, i didnt replace the roller or take care of it really and lasted like 12 years till last winter i got my rhino stuck in the swamp full of wood, broke through a couple inches of ice and i was trying to double line it but it broke. quad winch and tractor wouldnt budge it, ended up breaking the ice and 20 ton chain hoist couple feet at a time, bought a new rope then same as the old

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a Warn 4000S that I bought back in August and used it once, yesterday and it pulled one vehicle (T-Rex) out and wound it back up; then, I was going to pull another T-Rex stuck in the mud and nothing! It pulled slower and slower till it finally stopped. I smelled an electronic smell smoke and just stopped. Ended up just using the Honda Pioneer to pull out a Kawasaki T-Rex that was sitting on 4" Portals and 33" tires in 2' of mud. Yes, I have video of it all.

Opened up the hood and I noticed my True UTV-SBI-18 light was out and my power steering was weak. Also my Wet Sounds sub woofer blue light turned red and it went off. I put a jumper cable on and was able to retract the winch synthetic wire back in.

Did the Warn pull too much Amperage/voltage too quickly, or did my Battery Isolator go and I didn't notice it wasn't working? This was in the span of about 15 minutes.

D

Damian

Jan 6, 2018
Independence KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How is everyone’s winch’s holding up?

08L73-HL4-F01
A lot of people on this site have used the KFI plate and seem to be happy with it. I personally don't like the cable angle. EMP makes a mount which has a straight line pull, but I heard they are a bit of a pain to install. I ended up going with a moose mount which was one solid piece, a straight line pull, and easier to install than the EMP. It's all a matter of preference though.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I would buy the 4500. I have a 4500 lb Viper Max and made my own plate. I have used it to pull a truck out.

Buy an extension cable as 50 ft gets you no where. Also a long strap and a snatch block and clevis are a must. MyViper max came with a snatch block and clevis.

I did have to strap the rear to a tree to pull the truck out. Wanted to drag the Pioneer!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a Warn 4000S that I bought back in August and used it once, yesterday and it pulled one vehicle (T-Rex) out and wound it back up; then, I was going to pull another T-Rex stuck in the mud and nothing! It pulled slower and slower till it finally stopped. I smelled an electronic smell smoke and just stopped. Ended up just using the Honda Pioneer to pull out a Kawasaki T-Rex that was sitting on 4" Portals and 33" tires in 2' of mud. Yes, I have video of it all.

Opened up the hood and I noticed my True UTV-SBI-18 light was out and my power steering was weak. Also my Wet Sounds sub woofer blue light turned red and it went off. I put a jumper cable on and was able to retract the winch synthetic wire back in.

Did the Warn pull too much Amperage/voltage too quickly, or did my Battery Isolator go and I didn't notice it wasn't working? This was in the span of about 15 minutes.

winches draw a ton one pull is all i do, you have all that other crap(radio, lights) the battery is never going to charge, being discharged ruins batteries.after you winch you have to drive it around a while, without anything else on, idle speed doesnt make much current. some warnsi have also seen they start gumming up after being in the mud for a year or two, have to clean the crap out of the gears, that draws more power too

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!