P500 Warped Cover

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Today I noticed a plastic box cover that looked warped or out of place. I tried to open this cover but the bolts just spin. I can feel something turning behind the bolt. What is in the box and how do I get it open?

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
At first I thought you were joking asking this question, but maybe you're not. Lol Its the battery box. You are correct though. It IS out of place. Dumbest battery placement ever. They dropped the ball on this one. Especially since there is an open void under the drivers seat. This would make an excellent place for the battery to go. I got fed up with mine and spun the bolts with an impact driver until the bolt melted through the lid from friction and then i drilled small holes along the edge of lid, and matching holes along the side of the box and just run zip ties through the holes of the lid, through the side of the box, and back around to secure them. I always carry zip ties so its no biggy if i have to get into the box to jump somebody, or be jumped.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
At first I thought you were joking asking this question, but maybe you're not. Lol Its the battery box. You are correct though. It IS out of place. Dumbest battery placement ever. They dropped the ball on this one. Especially since there is an open void under the drivers seat. This would make an excellent place for the battery to go. I got fed up with mine and spun the bolts with an impact driver until the bolt melted through the lid from friction and then i drilled small holes along the edge of lid, and matching holes along the side of the box and just run zip ties through the holes of the lid, through the side of the box, and back around to secure them. I always carry zip ties so its no biggy if i have to get into the box to jump somebody, or be jumped.

Yes, I am serious unfortunately. Unit is new and I know very little about and rather ask than not know. So you had the same problems with the bolts and warped cover?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes, I am serious unfortunately. Unit is new and I know very little about and rather ask than not know. So you had the same problems with the bolts and warped cover?
Yes sir! There is probably 3 people world wide that hasn't had problems with the battery box cover. I swore i would relocate my battery, and all the other electrical goodies that are in that box, but i havent yet. I am in the process of rebuilding my rear diff today so i'll share a pic of the inside of my 2016 P5 battery box with you. Its a little dirty. Dont judge! Lol

20181014 132804

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Here is my ghettofabulous fix for the box. On the forward side of the box I put zipties slightly loose through the lid and through the edge of the box. Lets call this a ghettofabulous 'hinge'. The rear side of the box has zipties through it in the same fashion. I cut the rear ties to get in the box if needed and just re zip with new ties after. Its a totally sucky way to do it, but it works lol.

20181014 133151

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Yes sir! There is probably 3 people world wide that hasn't had problems with the battery box cover. I swore i would relocate my battery, and all the other electrical goodies that are in that box, but i havent yet. I am in the process of rebuilding my rear diff today so i'll share a pic of the inside of my 2016 P5 battery box with you. Its a little dirty. Dont judge! Lol

View attachment 90388

Thanks for the picture and information as now I can see inside. I have been trying to get the bolts out without success. It is like some kind of nut on the back side. If I could just hold them, maybe the bolts will come out. I figured it was the battery box because I noticed a voltage regulator with cooling fins on the outside of the box.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Found the same thing with my battery box cover on my 2017 P500. When they installed the wires to the battery they were not placed properly which caused the cover to warp. When I attempted to remove the cover and realine the wires the bolts just spun. Turns out the nuts are in thin plastic that broke allowing the nut and bolt to turn. I returned it to my dealer and they obtained a new box to replace the old one. It was covered by the warranty. After I picked it up I put white lub on the bolts and just snugged them up so as to be tight but not over tight. I was told that wasn't the first one they had repaired.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've taken that cover off a handful of times in 2 1/2 yrs. Planned and located electrical items so I'll never have to open it again unless the battery takes a crap. Once everything is routed right it seals up pretty good. I've had both batteries under water and never had an issue.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the picture and information as now I can see inside. I have been trying to get the bolts out without success. It is like some kind of nut on the back side. If I could just hold them, maybe the bolts will come out. I figured it was the battery box because I noticed a voltage regulator with cooling fins on the outside of the box.

Maybe a good time to add a battery tender pig tail before you seal it up.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Battery tender plug and meter on order, was wanting to connect to extended terminals under hood, will back feed thru circuit breaker to battery. Anyone done that or any potential issues?

Last edited:
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Battery tender plug and meter on order, was wanting to connect to extended terminals under hood, will back feed thru circuit breaker to battery. Anyone done that or any potential issues?

I currently do that b/c I have all power for accessories run through a battery cut off switch. I just connected the pig tail to my battery tender on the always hot side of the switch and grounded the negative. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the information and thoughts about future needs like a battery tender connection, etc.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I connected my dash mount tender port leads to winch solenoid battery terminals, no problem.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Installed CTek battery tender plug today. Those under hood terminals came in handy again. Now to add one to the Rancher atv, looking for a good spot to mount it. ..never ends.

E1E9A23A 8ECF 40A0 9B1E 3E92139F9820

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!