Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Seems very reasonable to possibly save your machine. There are going to be more doing this I'm sure!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Remington
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hidden snorkel. I love it. I'll probably go this route. And 90 it down.

Reactions: joeymt33
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Mine just runs back under dash no .90 or 45. But u can add one if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, here's mine. I sealed it with 100% silicon and a 1/4 zip screw just to fin it up a bit. Also added a 45 tilted just to the right to keep any kind of possible water out of the pipe if it got splashed up the rubber flap. My only concern with this set up is getting enough air and no over heat.There is some pockets to the left and around the rubber flap at the back. With the trap style door at the front area also lacking much needed air, this should be just fine. Will see
9cbf36a7e991d1e57855932dfa8c87cf5c3934613f7972df4f0dae1ea648c44b8ebbe9bc9749e69ad9c9eba759712482

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Delton loves his he has got that same one

Sent from iPhone
Yes very happy with mine. Nobody has even noticed I have it unless I tell them lol. I'm digging the creativity with these homemade mods. They look great!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, questions:

How high can the extension over the intake be? Are you worried about contact with the top of the box causing a vacuum and seal?

I have this as was going to use Joey's idea, but have now changed my mind. This fits tight, but could put silicone at the bottom.

Upload 2016 8 20 21 11 23

Thank you smart folks for these great ideas!!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So, questions:

How high can the extension over the intake be? Are you worried about contact with the top of the box causing a vacuum and seal?

I have this as was going to use Joey's idea, but have now changed my mind. This fits tight, but could put silicone at the bottom.

View attachment 20604

Thank you smart folks for these great ideas!!

That should work fine. Even a 2" fernco cut down would be like that, but with a hose clamp at the bottom. I put some GOOD. Quality duckt tape on the coupling to tighten up the gap so that I would get the right height. If I have trouble with that, I'll use a cut down fernco.

Reactions: dotman1
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much room do you need between the top of the extension and the cover?

I'm not home to look at my machine for 2 more days

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How much room do you need between the top of the extension and the cover?

I'm not home to look at my machine for 2 more days

About 1/2" to an 1" should be sufficient the cover is fairly ridged.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Looks good Remington. You will get plenty of air don't worry. Had mine on the road today at 65mph and ran fine. It cannot run hot due to less air. It would just lose power. Great job!!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks good Remington. You will get plenty of air don't worry. Had mine on the road today at 65mph and ran fine. It cannot run hot due to less air. It would just lose power. Great job!!

Thanks buddy! Glad to hear it went well on your test run. I'll have mine out tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how she goes.

Reactions: Ridem32
C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The PVC mod looks like it will get in the way of a second battery.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The PVC mod looks like it will get in the way of a second battery.

Possibly if you want one depending on how easy to access you would like it. It fits but just tight that's all. I pre tested with a battery from my ATV. If I cut the pvc and put a fernco on it, would make it easy peasy!

L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm a troll because I believe Honda should stand behind their manufacturing as well as their design? You mean to tell me that I have to install a snorkel if I drive through puddles? What if I drive thru rain? Is my Honda designed intake system gonna fill with water during a rain storm and send a slug into the engine because I don't have a snorkel? I don't appreciate the name calling!!!

I bought a Flagship Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and wish I could return it!! After getting my beautiful (looks awesome) machine home with the $2000 worth of accessories I discover that it burns my wife's rear end by simply driving with the Honda designed accessories! And the first time I go thru some brush or wash the vehicle it get scratched... I didn't think I would be expected to redesign or upgrade something that I just paid $20k for.... I'm sorry, but I'm very unhappy with this unit. The items that bother me most are the ones you can't learn during a test ride! Now I've heard that Honda will address these issues, however I'm worried that it will end up being a new model and I will be left to dump more money and TIME into fixing or addressing Honda poor engineering!

I like the idea of no belt, however I read here that I can't or should drive it less than 4mph.... If this is true, how do I get above 4 without driving less than 4? Can this push snow? Can it pull 2000lbs and continue to function everyday?

I bought it based on the very solid Honda name and my only hope so far is that it will last. I'm no different than anyone on here, I haven't called names and I'm not causing problems on this site! Unless sharing my unfavorable opinion is a problem!!?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a troll because I believe Honda should stand behind their manufacturing as well as their design? You mean to tell me that I have to install a snorkel if I drive through puddles? What if I drive thru rain? Is my Honda designed intake system gonna fill with water during a rain storm and send a slug into the engine because I don't have a snorkel? I don't appreciate the name calling!!!

I bought a Flagship Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and wish I could return it!! After getting my beautiful (looks awesome) machine home with the $2000 worth of accessories I discover that it burns my wife's rear end by simply driving with the Honda designed accessories! And the first time I go thru some brush or wash the vehicle it get scratched... I didn't think I would be expected to redesign or upgrade something that I just paid $20k for.... I'm sorry, but I'm very unhappy with this unit. The items that bother me most are the ones you can't learn during a test ride! Now I've heard that Honda will address these issues, however I'm worried that it will end up being a new model and I will be left to dump more money and TIME into fixing or addressing Honda poor engineering!

I like the idea of no belt, however I read here that I can't or should drive it less than 4mph.... If this is true, how do I get above 4 without driving less than 4? Can this push snow? Can it pull 2000lbs and continue to function everyday?

I bought it based on the very solid Honda name and my only hope so far is that it will last. I'm no different than anyone on here, I haven't called names and I'm not causing problems on this site! Unless sharing my unfavorable opinion is a problem!!?

I hear ya man.
You have a right to be concerned.
However, if you truly are unbiased - check this video of us out and know none of us have had issues. We all crawled all day with no issues, and do this kind of riding all the time. Your "under 4mph" comment isn't founded in fact or based on truth. Once you learn your unit, you can feather and stay hooked up with no clutch slip as you know the interstitial space and how to drive it. Sure you don't want to power it down at 1mph and try to slip the clutch, but that's not how they are supposed to be driven. Also, I don't have heat issues - but I also have the $20 heat shield mod that I installed form the get go as I don't have time to sit around and worry about something $20 can fix. Love my P1K5!

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, and BTW - Mine is engineered like a BEAST! Stock set up and ready to rock.

Reactions: Eltobgi
L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is a very good idea on manufacturing stand point. One word of caution is that the manufacturers (not just Honda)are always looking for a way out of warranty and I'm positive a redesigned air box will be on that list. While I was talking to both Honda rep and my dealer they said the snorkel I was planning after the incident would be acceptable because it still used all the factory equipment. If done I think I'd still try to figure a way to incorporate at least the factory designed filter.

Manufacturers should look at warranty, especially early claims as either a potential manufacturing issue or a poor design. You stated that you drove thru puddles... This is within the design expectation. Unless you actually drove thru deeper water than what Honda say it's capable of your claim should have been considered. I wasn't with you during your fatal outting but was your intake system assembled correctly? Was there any damage to it? We will never know because of Honda's arrogance in deny the claim! This model and design is too new to be denying early warranty claims. I heard this arrogance when I called Honda and asked if I should be worried about driving my machine at slow speeds... They said that people mid treat these products... I feel that this is a very bold statement.... I don't mistreat my stuff... I don't add aftermarket items, like snorkels.... I wonder what DATA he had that allows him to make the statement...? Without DATA you have an opinion!! Are they denying claims based on opinion??? Very worrisome....

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Manufacturers should look at warranty, especially early claims as either a potential manufacturing issue or a poor design. You stated that you drove thru puddles... This is within the design expectation. Unless you actually drove thru deeper water than what Honda say it's capable of your claim should have been considered. I wasn't with you during your fatal outting but was your intake system assembled correctly? Was there any damage to it? We will never know because of Honda's arrogance in deny the claim! This model and design is too new to be denying early warranty claims. I heard this arrogance when I called Honda and asked if I should be worried about driving my machine at slow speeds... They said that people mid treat these products... I feel that this is a very bold statement.... I don't mistreat my stuff... I don't add aftermarket items, like snorkels.... I wonder what DATA he had that allows him to make the statement...? Without DATA you have an opinion!! Are they denying claims based on opinion??? Very worrisome....

Hay, you got to understand that most things in forums are people having issues for others to know about not a lot about the good things, ( although, the people on here are great about the good things happening! Thanks guys!) . Not everyone has issues, a lot of us are wrench heads and like to fix and upgrade things that you wouldn't ordinary get from the factory! We do this to our cars, trucks and boats as well. Not any one SXS brand is equal nor perfect and I don't belive you disagree. I was in automotive development in our great state for a time, and these things we speak of are all over. There's always going to a problem with a machine that can cause a problem depending on your riding style, car truck, boat and UTV. Be advised, Im not calling you a troll, tool or whatever, your just concerned owner that's all. Look, Honda makes a great product. I've had many other manufacturers products and this by far is the best ive owned. Know body here has to modify nothin! These are just some good wrenchin people that want to help with your riding style, be it wild or mild. Just drive it and enjoy it the way you have it. Be aware of these issues just in case to stop them beforehand, and if you need advise, Feel free to brows and ask! we are all friends on here and want to help. Good luck and have fun with that machine blood brother!

advertisement