P500 Water in gas tank

D

Dsarapin6

Jun 18, 2019
Ownership

1. 500
My sons and I went through some water, and when we waited for the rest of the party when we realized that we had left the gas cap off. After we started up again, it would not stay running, and then just died and now it will not turn over. For fear of water in the tank we siphoned the gas out and replaced with fresh gas and some heet. The sxs still does not start. Does anyone have any advise before I send it off to the shop.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I would remove the tank and clean it. Next, I would remove/disconnect the fuel line all the way to the EFI and blow air through it. I would go ahead and remove the spark plug as well, blow it the cylinder allow it time to dry why you are doing the other work and replace it with a new one. I would also check the oil and air filter for any water while you are looking over the unit as well.

I would think now with good fuel, it will fire off....

Reactions: 500oneer
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Pull the spark plug . It should turnover then . Keep turning it over a while . Then hook plug wire to plug w/o putting it in and check for spark , be sure it's grounded . If you have spark , put it in and try again . OOPs , when you pull it the 1st time look at plug and check for water or fuel on it . OK . If it doesnt start repeat process . If it doesn't work after a few trys you may have toasted the fuel pump .
Ya know , if you for sure got water in the tank , you're not gonna get it all out w/o pulling the tank siphoning won't get it and you will still have water in the lines .

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Pull the spark plug . It should turnover then . Keep turning it over a while . Then hook plug wire to plug w/o putting it in and check for spark , be sure it's grounded . If you have spark , put it in and try again . OOPs , when you pull it the 1st time look at plug and check for water or fuel on it . OK . If it doesnt start repeat process . If it doesn't work after a few trys you may have toasted the fuel pump .

Fully expected a smart ass comment from you on that one Huck, changed your meds did they? :D

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
water in gas tank shouldn't result in the motor not turning over, only if you tried starting it too many times and ran down battery. The injector should never inject enough water to hydro lock the engine even if gas tank full of water. But agree pull tank or at least pull line from bottom of tank drain, flush and then blow out or flush fuel line.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!