P1000 Weak Tailgate?

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a search about the weak ass tailgate on the PK1 and found where some guys were drilling the plastic and filling it with spray foam. I really didn't see any feedback...

How did it work out? Are the tailgates any stronger? Any preferred type/brand of spray foam?

I don't even DARE sit on the tailgate for fear it will buckle...

ANY other alternatives? I'd like to skin it with some SS sheet but there is NOTHING to screw to...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know if I would call it weak.

https://www.facebook.com/justin.self.908/videos/1463668513698121/
If you aren't on facebook, this is a video of a guy with two (at least 150 lb guys) guys bouncing on his tailgate to help him do a wheelie. They did it and the gate didn't buckle.

I wouldn't do that on my Defender tail gate and it is designed for 250 person to sit on.

I had my tailgate off on my Pioneer when I was trying to put on the OEM bumper and the hinge barrels/mounting are pretty darn stout.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
we foamed the 700 our first 1000 and now this one. Went a little further on this one with lockable storage as well. Used Lexan and plastic pop riveted it on after windshield urethane was layed down around the edges.Foam always helped but this time we've had three people stand on it without a little bend. Probably drop an engine block on it.
IMG 0568
IMG 0569
Anything hollow it will help but best to do in a few layers through drilled holes so it all sets up and best to use a dence foam like Loctite. This is a great thing to do in the hinge areas on the doors as well

Last edited:
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, I dunno...If I push hard in the center it sure feels like it will buckle, I can squeeze it with my bare hand and it feels "squishy". Are you sure a 200 lb man can carefully sit on and enjoy a beer??

Dean1K3

Dean1K3

May 24, 2017
Osteen Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I diffently noticed the tailgate needs some help for sure, sags when tailgating

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
we foamed the 700 our first 1000 and now this one. Went a little further on this one with lockable storage as well. Foam always helped but this time we've had three people stand on it without a little bend. Probably drop an engine block on it. View attachment 47495 View attachment 47496 Anything hollow it will help but best to do in a few layers through drilled holes so it all sets up and best to use a dence foam like Loctite. This is a great thing to do in the hinge areas on the doors as well
Crap I meant to check out your tailgate storage at takeover and forgot lol. Guess it'll have to wait til next april

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Man, I dunno...If I push hard in the center it sure feels like it will buckle, I can squeeze it with my bare hand and it feels "squishy". Are you sure a 200 lb man can carefully sit on and enjoy a beer??

I never did, but I can't believe that 300+ lbs of guys jumping up and down on it didn't break it that siting on it would. Now if it was like my tailgate, it didn't sit flat and would have been kind of weird to sit on.

I don't know if the plastic might bow but I am pretty sure the hinges/cable/hinge brackets can take it. They are at least as sturdy as the ones on my Defender and it can hold a 250 weight.

I took the plastic off my tailgate just to see and on the Defender there is a square "honeycomb" of plastic underneath it that fills the inside of it where the Honda seems to be open in CP's pics. (I never had my Honda gate apart, off to install the bumper)

I was thinking more about the hinges and such. I can't really speak to the insides like CP can.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I never did, but I can't believe that 300+ lbs of guys jumping up and down on it didn't break it that siting on it would. Now if it was like my tailgate, it didn't sit flat and would have been kind of weird to sit on.

I don't know if the plastic might bow but I am pretty sure the hinges/cable/hinge brackets can take it. They are at least as sturdy as the ones on my Defender and it can hold a 250 weight.

I took the plastic off my tailgate just to see and on the Defender there is a square "honeycomb" of plastic underneath it that fills the inside of it where the Honda seems to be open in CP's pics. (I never had my Honda gate apart, off to install the bumper)

I was thinking more about the hinges and such. I can't really speak to the insides like CP can.
It's not totally open. There are a couple areas on the inner shell that make contact with the outer but they just rest on it. If you open the gate you can see the deep recesses. The gate will hold more weight if towards the sides but is not very strong in the center. I hated sitting on it prior but it did always hold my weight I just wanted a little stronger so I wouldn't need to be as careful

J

JTW

I'm 225 and sit on mine all the time.. it bows and initially had me concerned. But now it's no big deal. I will eventually do as CP and put some storage in there though.. that's a brilliant idea! It's a shame Honda didn't give us a real tailgate!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm 225 and sit on mine all the time.. it bows and initially had me concerned. But now it's no big deal. I will eventually do as CP and put some storage in there though.. that's a brilliant idea! It's a shame Honda didn't give us a real tailgate!
Im always checking things, comparing and looking at other rigs and if you think our tailgate is cheesy check this out. On the showroom floor gate locked with minimum pressure.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I suppose its intention was a gate not a seat or bench. If used differently it probably has to be modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
D

Dasmoeturhead

Dammit Man!
See, if I wouldn't have been reading this forum I never would have known how serious a thing it was with these weak ass tailgates. I mean I've been hoisting this 250 lb 6'-1" carcus on this poor thing for 1- 1/2 years and the dang thing has the nerve not to break. I mean I better not tell that machine that the 300 bags (2.2ft) of mulch it just got through hauling should have wasted its tailgate. NOT!

I agree it should of at least had some reinforcement or something.

Weezil

Weezil

Mar 8, 2019
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone able to give me an idea how to remove the tailgate from a 2019 pioneer 1000-5? I removed 2 bolts from under the gate but still won't budge. Do I have to take the piece with the taillight off?

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone able to give me an idea how to remove the tailgate from a 2019 pioneer 1000-5? I removed 2 bolts from under the gate but still won't budge. Do I have to take the piece with the taillight off?
If you go to the rear bumper instructions and read through it will let you know the pieces you have to remove.
Be forewarned it is kind of a pain step 7 shows the piece you need to remove if I remember correctly. Be careful removing the screws from the bed as those have tendency to strip out

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08P73-HL4-A00.pdf

Reactions: Mudwing and Delton
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What's the reason of removing it?

Weezil

Weezil

Mar 8, 2019
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, my kid backed the pioneer into a tree and bent the pivot tubing. I'm trying to straighten it but my propane torch isn't getting it hot enough. Any ideas other than hotter gas (I don't have acetlyene)
20190427 090050

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No idea on specs and if you want 800lb capacity I would bet more than the gate needs to be upgraded. The cables and how they attached would have to be beefed up as well, IMO

Edit: read and that is upgraded cables at 400lbs each for combined 800lb rating. My bad

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!