BOX1

Weller Racing shock overhaul, it's a beautiful thing

A

AZChuck

Nov 26, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon R
They did replace ALL 8 springs? What do they look like compared to stock?

Did they rebuild the shocks - O-rings, wear ring, etc?

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
All 8 springs, with powder coated grey/silver ones, then wrapped in heavy black nylon spring condom things. The internals were re-valved and overhauled internally to match the spring rates, vehicle weight, and ride style. Nothing was done externally, the stock spring spacers and adjustment rings were still in good shape.

After another 5k or so miles since the upgrade, shocks still work well, still better than stock, no buyer's remorse here.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They did replace ALL 8 springs? What do they look like compared to stock?

Did they rebuild the shocks - O-rings, wear ring, etc?
What does your rig look like? 3 post since 19' and no pics🤨
#POIDH 🥳

Yes they rebuild the whole thing.

A

AZChuck

Nov 26, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon R
What does your rig look like? 3 post since 19' and no pics🤨
#POIDH 🥳

Yes they rebuild the whole thing.
My machine has 8000 miles on it (yes I know I’ve taken a long while to get around to this. Last trip to Moab did it). I asked Weller if they replace oil, O-rings, piston wear bands while the shock is open. NO to all.

Remington said “they rebuild the whole thing.” Not to argue cuz I’m trying to figure out just what I’m getting and ought to get - if they’re not doing what I listed, other than changing the shim stacks it appears they are doing nothing inside the shock.

How many miles do most of you go before a rebuild?

This is my first rodeo on modifying shocks. Is the OEM stuff Fox uses good enough to continue to use it all after 8000 miles? Or do others just do the rebuild them themselves?

How many miles do most of you go before doing seals, O-rings, etc?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My machine has 8000 miles on it (yes I know I’ve taken a long while to get around to this. Last trip to Moab did it). I asked Weller if they replace oil, O-rings, piston wear bands while the shock is open. NO to all.

Remington said “they rebuild the whole thing.” Not to argue cuz I’m trying to figure out just what I’m getting and ought to get - if they’re not doing what I listed, other than changing the shim stacks it appears they are doing nothing inside the shock.

This is my first rodeo on modifying shocks. Is the OEM stuff Fox uses good enough to continue to use it all after 8000 miles? Or do others just do the rebuild them themselves?

The answer yo got doesn't make since!

Reactions: Remington
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Given experience from a previous machine, i had my current machine valved and springs by weller before i ever ran it, no software at that time. At 12k miles, i had added enough weight we revisited springs and a small fine tuning on the internals, seals at that time. They said nitrogen pressures and oil levels were right where they left them, no real reason to rebuild them as there were no external leaks. I currently have 10k miles on the rebuild with no reason to reseal them. The racer guys will say they need rebuilt every 1k or so, not what i would do but at 8k if i was in there i would pay extra for seals. Judgment call, as always ymmv

Reactions: Smitty335
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

Since you're in Phoenix, I'd suggest Shock Therapy to service your shocks. Sure, you'll read some negative reviews or opinions about them, some of it warranted, some based on speculation, some based on the owner's perceived "attitude". My personal experience has been positive, so I'll recommend them.
Give them a call and ask the same questions about oil, o-rings etc.

Reactions: Dankathy
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Given experience from a previous machine, i had my current machine valved and springs by weller before i ever ran it, no software at that time. At 12k miles, i had added enough weight we revisited springs and a small fine tuning on the internals, seals at that time. They said nitrogen pressures and oil levels were right where they left them, no real reason to rebuild them as there were no external leaks. I currently have 10k miles on the rebuild with no reason to reseal them. The racer guys will say they need rebuilt every 1k or so, not what i would do but at 8k if i was in there i would pay extra for seals. Judgment call, as always ymmv
I'll be nice, how do you remove the shim stacks without losing oil? You can't, start over with new oil and clean shock internals, you will be surprised how dirty the oil is. The seals will let dirt in little by little. Good time to revisit the viscosity of your oil for what you are trying to achieve before you restack.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll be nice, how do you remove the shim stacks without losing oil? You can't, start over with new oil and clean shock internals, you will be surprised how dirty the oil is. The seals will let dirt in little by little. Good time to revisit the viscosity of your oil for what you are trying to achieve before you restack.
The seals at 12k includes oil, the oil at 0 miles was.... 0 miles

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
its like rebuilding the entire engine with new parts and using the old piston rings - I think the entire seal kit is under $20

Reactions: CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!