P1000 Wench cable

K

kyrider1000

Oct 4, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I own a 2020 1000 and need to change out the old wench cable . I believe the wench is a warn, anyways how to you do this ? and i would like to put a shock cord back on instead of the steel cable . Has anyone did this ?

Thanks , ride safe !

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a 2020 1000 and need to change out the old wench cable . I believe the wench is a warn, anyways how to you do this ? and i would like to put a shock cord back on instead of the steel cable . Has anyone did this ?

Thanks , ride safe !
If you are referring to a kenetic rope you do not want that as a winch rope. The mechanics are used differently between winching and snap pulling. I believe what you need is just synthetic winch rope

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By shock cord, I'm assuming you mean synthetic line to replace the cable?

If you do so, you'd want to do a lot of filing and sanding on all of the surfaces your cable has ripped up. Make them smooth before installing line. In your case, I'd definitely switch to a Hawse fairlead, ideal for synthetic line and a good replacement for your chewed up rollers.

Replacement is easy. There's just a hole through the spindle you run the first few inches of line through, then tighten the set screw.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What previous responders said. I know you meant synthetic rope. If your winch drum is narrow (6 inches), then you'll want a 50 foot winch line (note the i after the w! . . . if it was wench, I would recommend a soft collar and no more than a 6 foot leash - and have fun).

For the winch, though, that 50' line can be had for little more than $20 - $25 and you'll most likely want a diameter of 1/4" or about 6mm. There's more than one way they may be attached to the drum. One way is passed through the hole, then around a small short length of rod, then back through the hole. No matter how the rope is attached to the drum, the strength of the attachment comes from the first 6 turns on the drum (you never want to have less than that pulling hard on a load).

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What they said ☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️
And to add some winch information for new guys,
The more wraps you have on the drum, the less pulling power you have.
The less wraps on the winch drum, the more pulling power you have.
Found this to help explain

And/Or use a snatch block.
FYI the below diagram is not totally accurate.
Yes, a snatch block does double the pulling power if attached to the load, BUT, every snatch block added to your pulling system reduces your pulling power by 10% do to the friction of going around the sheave. Add 2 snatch blocks, 3 times the pulling power, but, 10% + 10%, is also a 20% reduction in pulling power.

Now that these fine outstanding gentlemen tried to help you again, can you go back and finish your first post about being "Stuck in 1st"
What did you find to be the problem? How did you fix it?
Inquiring minds want to know....and it might help someone else with the same problem.
And post some pictures of your ride 👍
Have a good day

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!