Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So is there a way to do a multi day (a week long +/-) “over landing” style trip through multiple trails systems ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to try there's been some discussion but it usually stops with the issue of not allowing trailside camping. Lisa and I have talked about building a trailer to haul our gear from camp ground to camp ground then exploring trails. Our other issue is they require helmets and have a no alcohol rule. Neither fit our of style of fun.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Holy Crap!!! :eek: (from the link)

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I'd like to try there's been some discussion but it usually stops with the issue of not allowing trailside camping. Lisa and I have talked about building a trailer to haul our gear from camp ground to camp ground then exploring trails. Our other issue is they require helmets and have a no alcohol rule. Neither fit our of style of fun.

I would be fine with “town hopping”. Just want to get on the Talon for a week or so.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I can't answer the questions because I haven't ridden the trails. The copy and paste below might help.

"West Virginia is known as “Almost Heaven,” so it’s only natural the Hatfield-McCoy Trails have become known as Trails Heaven. If you have questions, feel free to call the Hatfield-McCoy offices at 1-800-592-2217."

The website offers an overwhelming amount of information. See the link below.

My understanding is several of the trails are accessed from two or three villages in a small area of southern WV.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So is there a way to do a multi day (a week long +/-) “over landing” style trip through multiple trails systems ?

I watched a pr video a couple years ago which filmed a young man on a four wheeler riding each of the trails. The video appeared to have been funded by the Hatfield and McCoy Trail System. What I remember from watching it was he stayed in lodging and rode several trails from the same location.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
If you get a plan together let me know. I'm definitely down to try.

Would love to. Might take me a while being in south Louisiana and never being there. Still trying to make a TO. This will be my 3rd try. Good news is that I don’t see anything getting in my way this time. At least for now.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you get a plan together let me know. I'm definitely down to try.
Keep me in the loop too.
I been wanting to do HFM.
Haven't been in a good 10 years.
There is a good many camp grounds that have tent camping spots.
Much rather camp in BFE but camping a walks distance to the bar might not be bad either.
I'm sure we could find a BFE spot or 2 to camp on the outlaw trails. Might have to "circle back".

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think all of you would enjoy ridding the Hatfield & McCoy trails. You can drive your machines on the rural blacktop highways and streets in the small towns surrounding the trails. WV is ATV friendly and WV law enforcement is easy-going. The small towns you'll visit were once thriving coal mining communities but the mines are closed and the region is struggling to survive. You will find local merchants happy to see you. They want your business.

Edit: I should have added - you can drive your machines from small town to the next small town on public roads. No one cares if as long as you're sane and sober.

WV allows off-road buggies to be made street legal and registered but no one is going to be worried about your out of state buggies as long as you buy the Hatfield and McCoy trail system pass.

Last edited:
LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been to the Hatfield trails twice. Heading back there end of June for a week. Staying in Gilbert at Marty’s Trail house. Can leave from his place and hit the trail. Marty and Lisa are great people. yall will love the ride. If you can’t hold your desire to drink while riding till you get back, it might not be for you. When you see some of the drop offs, might change your mind about wanting to drink and drive there. Lol, it did me. I just wait till I get back. Not a big deal to me.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
we run down from PA 2-3X a year. We usually pick the trailhead, ride about 40 miles and dump off into a small town, grab a meal, and then head back on same trail system, but take some different trails on that trail system.

all this requires short road riding to access the trail heads from where we stay , nobody cares as long as you are respectful

Mostly stay near Ashland, that has close access to multiple trail heads and stayed down in delbarton as well a few times. We always rent a house as its usually 4 couples and wifey appreciates the indoor plumbing.

Biggest challenge is getting orientated on the maps between trailheads - once on a trail system, they are all very well marked both directions

We hold off on the booze till we get back in the evening as well. Good to see 95%+ have their helmets on the trail, we see very very little open alcohol, seems like most just want to enjoy the scenery, the dirt/awesome trails and put on miles.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔....ok so what would be best time of year to plan said ride (not in June) and which of the trail heads would be best?

Interested 👍
I've always gone in early April or late September/ early October. Those 2 times are usually light jacket weather. I've always stayed in Man, WV. The Rockhouse trailhead is in Man and you can just ride the machine straight to the trail. Also from Rockhouse you can access Devil Anse and from there get to Buffalo Mountain. That's quite a long ride though. Bearwallow is a 30 minute drive from Man so we trailer to there. My favorite is Bearwallow. Buffalo Mountain/ Devil Anse is 2nd. Rock house would probably be my favorite but alot of the trails are rocky and rough. I haven't rode the more southern trails like Pocahontas or Indian Ridge in a while. We like the other trails better

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've always gone in early April or late September/ early October. Those 2 times are usually light jacket weather. I've always stayed in Man, WV. The Rockhouse trailhead is in Man and you can just ride the machine straight to the trail. Also from Rockhouse you can access Devil Anse and from there get to Buffalo Mountain. That's quite a long ride though. Bearwallow is a 30 minute drive from Man so we trailer to there. My favorite is Bearwallow. Buffalo Mountain/ Devil Anse is 2nd. Rock house would probably be my favorite but alot of the trails are rocky and rough. I haven't rode the more southern trails like Pocahontas or Indian Ridge in a while. We like the other trails better
Cool 👍

So would a 2/3 day stay be good for a fair amount of riding? I'd be interested in the later part of the year like Sept/Oct maybe see some of the fall colors while we at it 🤷‍♂️

JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Cool 👍

So would a 2/3 day stay be good for a fair amount of riding? I'd be interested in the later part of the year like Sept/Oct maybe see some of the fall colors while we at it 🤷‍♂️
Last June my wife and I went there for 3 days of riding. Aside from me badly breaking my thumb, we had a great time. We stayed between the Devil Anse and the Rockhouse trails sytems and rode Devil Anse and Buffalo Mountain trails. Didn't get to do Rockhouse. We liked it so much we are going back this April for 2+ days of riding. This time we're staying near the Pocohontas trail system and plan to ride it along with Indian Ridge and maybe Pinnacle Creek. I would definatley be intersted in a fall ride as well.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u will get 1000 opinions here including mine, we plan for a full 3 days of riding, sometimes 4 - its a 9 hour trip for our group

Preferred the pocahontas\indian ridge\pinnacle creek trails- we didn't do Rockhouse, but all others,,,,,,,,wifey just wants to relax so nothing terribly rough and we just ride on the green and blue trails.
Ashland Campground has house rentalsa up in Crumpler and went first week of October in 2021 and were about 2 weeks early for really good fall foliage. Lots of affordable lodging around.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool 👍

We usually get there mid day on Wednesday and leave Sunday morning. That gives us 3 full days to ride. You can't ride every trail on one trail system in a day. Next time I go I might stay for a week

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!