JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok soooo..... Being that I've never been, just watched a good bit of videos and seems to me that what they consider "black and double black trails" is what I'd be mostly interested in 🤷‍♂️......everything else seems to (me) to be dirt roads. Yes, very nice scenery but......actual "fun" riding kinda have to go "black and double black".......NoMo!!!!!!!!

Some of y'all that been there please chime in. It'd be a 14 hr ride for us so just want to make sure it's worth the drive (if we go).

Also, can we maybe start planning something? (Not just a dirt road trip).....😂😂

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok soooo..... Being that I've never been, just watched a good bit of videos and seems to me that what they consider "black and double black trails" is what I'd be mostly interested in 🤷‍♂️......everything else seems to (me) to be dirt roads. Yes, very nice scenery but......actual "fun" riding kinda have to go "black and double black".......NoMo!!!!!!!!

Some of y'all that been there please chime in. It'd be a 14 hr ride for us so just want to make sure it's worth the drive (if we go).

I'm in this one will be easy it's only 3-4 hrs from us.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm in this one will be easy it's only 3-4 hrs from us.
I'm in. Less that 2.5 hr drive for me. Work permitting. @Ridinfool You in ? NoMO !
Also.......Sept/Oct is also M.O.M time of the yr. Definitely wouldn't want to miss that but.........it'd be cool if it was hosted in different spots every year 😉 same Mayhem different Mountains 🤷‍♂️ 😎😂

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I like the blue and black trails. You gotta have some big ⚾️⚾️ to go on the double black. They rate the trails by how steep it is. Just for example a black trail might be 95% like a blue trail but there will be one hill that's bad. Some blacks are pretty rough the whole way though. Not sure if I've ever been on a double black. Some of them are just too ridiculous. Pioneer would definitely flip over. This is at Rock House, Buffalo Mountain and Bearwallow.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I like the blue and black trails. You gotta have some big ⚾️⚾️ to go on the double black. They rate the trails by how steep it is. Just for example a black trail might be 95% like a blue trail but there will be one hill that's bad. Some blacks are pretty rough the whole way though. Not sure if I've ever been on a double black. Some of them are just too ridiculous. Pioneer would definitely flip over. This is at Rock House, Buffalo Mountain and Bearwallow.
Granted pictures and videos never do justice, most of the stuff I seen called "black and double black" were trails kinda like we ride at RRB/Tackett. Not saying they are easy by any means, just seems to be (from all the videos I looked up) it's either dirt road or black trails for fun. Looks like they maintain the "trails" quite a bit/often. Which is good, nothing wrong with that. I'll have to keep on researching and looking up different sections with in the systems to compare riding. It's definitely a beautiful place with a crap load of miles to ride 👍 aso liked all the little towns around to make pit stops at too 👍 👍

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Granted pictures and videos never do justice, most of the stuff I seen called "black and double black" were trails kinda like we ride at RRB/Tackett. Not saying they are easy by any means, just seems to be (from all the videos I looked up) it's either dirt road or black trails for fun. Looks like they maintain the "trails" quite a bit/often. Which is good, nothing wrong with that. I'll have to keep on researching and looking up different sections with in the systems to compare riding. It's definitely a beautiful place with a crap load of miles to ride 👍 aso liked all the little towns around to make pit stops at too 👍 👍
I've never been to RRB but trying to plan a trip for later this year. I'm definitely looking forward to comparing the two.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm a newcomer to WV. We bought a home here in 2018 after 30 years in Texas. One of the surprising things I've learned about WV is the weather here in southern WV is one of the best kept secrets in the nation. WV is a poor state, not the place to move to if you're looking for a job or career. It's a beautiful state and great place for retirees or to visit.

In west Texas we had heat in summer and cold winters. We had wind all of the time and strong, damaging winds occasionally. We had harsh thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes were always a possibility.

Here in WV a hot mid-summer day is 85°, winds are always mild, and winters are usually quite mild also with only occasional dips below freezing. Humidity is mild here as well.

I think most of you will find the weather around the Hatfield & McCoy Trail System is very enjoyable any time of the year.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll chime in- we go to Hatfield McCoy probably three or four times a year.

We typically stay at Devil's Backbone ATV resort. It used to be the best kept secret on the trails, but now not so much. The cabins are pretty pricey at this point but they do have all levels of camping available and a general store / bar and restaurant on site.

The best part for us is that it sits smack dab in the middle of the Northern Trail systems, so you can ride about 50 miles one way to a town and eat lunch and then come back, and then the next day ride 50 miles to a different town/eat lunch/come back all without trailering.

As far as the difficulty of the trails- probably 60 to 70% of what you're driving is also gas company land and could be done with a four-wheel drive pickup truck (operated by a redneck with big balls). We don't ride a lot of black trails: we found that a lot of them aren't just steep but also have giant rocks and we don't have much of an interest in tearing up the machines/ testing the local healthcare system. It certainly interesting enough for us, but take that with a grain of salt.

So far is the lower loop goes, Ashland resort seems like the place to stay. Same kind of deal-it's a full day ride to the top to eat lunch and come back, and then a full day ride to the bottom of that trail system. Makes for two complete days of riding if you really like to go out and cover some miles without riding a lot of roads or trailering to a trailhead.

50 bucks for the year (per passenger) is hard to beat as well.

As far as time of year goes, I would recommend either spring or fall. It gets so busy and dusty midsummer that it's almost no fun.

If you're coming from the north they just opened two new Trail systems- catabawinga and the name of the other one escapes me. They're nice to stop, unload take a little ride to break up the trip and move on but no more than 3 to 4 hours of riding total there tbh. Not connected to any other systems.

koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We went last May and stayed at Twin Hollow Campgrounds. Nice place, very friendly and couldn’t ask for a better experience. Showed up a day early and they found us a place to camp. What a great group of people, family owned I think. This was our second time there and might be our last. Probably start venturing out west a little more. What I forgot about from the first time is if your riding out of the campsite it could take up to an hour to get to different trails. The trail leading you out or in gets monotonous after a couple of days. Found some trails marked blue when they should have been marked black. We sat and watched a couple of machines get pretty beat up over trying to go a couple of hundred yards. Two of them limped back. Some green trails was full of what I call river rocks, about six to ten inch rocks that I tried going slow and fast over to soften the ride but to no avail. Wouldn’t be bad but that particular stretch was around a mile long. I guess if you’ve never been it’s going to be a great experience but for me the second time in ten years is my fault. I should have went somewhere else where we’ve never been. We simply went back to the same campground because we remembered what great host they were.
Might do the Alpine Loop again in Colorado this year, if Biden hasn’t screwed that up yet.

P

Pgsull1

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2020
Nicholasville, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The HMT system is great, have rode it on bikes (has lot of great single track) and most recently sxs. We went in Sept and November last year and had great time. We stayed in Williamson which links thru buffalo mt to devil anse. The second trip we trailered to Rockhouse and rode there the first day, then loaded and went to Williamson for 3days. We have stayed at Trail 10 house both times, which slept 6 guys easily and we had the owner Leo take us on a day tour which was awesome. In addition to HMT trails they have 1000s of miles of outlaw trails you can ride and camp and do anything you wish, alot of rehabbed strip mines that link between WV and KY.

1Wildcat

Nov 13, 2021
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Out of all I've read on here,I haven't heard 1 word about guns, are they legal there,especially if you have a permit? Are they needed? I live nearby there in Ky and we sometimes come across some rough and rowdy groups while out riding,but our trails are mostly ones we make on unreclaimed strip mine areas. Just saying,I know a lot of people from W Va and I wouldn't be comfortable riding anywhere without my gun if I had my wife and kids with me

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HMF is on my wife's bucket list. If this turns into a group ride, I am sure I could get her to tag along.

P

Pan

Apr 9, 2016
Gorham NH 03581
Just a quick note, Ride the Wilds of Northern NH has over 1000 miles of interconnected trails, starting in Gorham and working North to the Canadian Boarder. And Jericho ATV State Park just North of Gorham. Some very good riding with loads of scenic high rides.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!