JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yikes!
@joeymt33 bolted some 1/4 uhmw plates to that area.
I have full skid plates but they would not stop that stick. Or other similar punctures I have seen pictures of. Man, someone is gonna hurt!
I'll be doing the joey fix now. But I'm not sure if this stick would have been stopped or just redirected more towards the driver.
Skids wouldn't have helped stop this at all. It went right on the inside edge of the square hole piece. There is a kind small gap between the squares and the inner wheel.
The piece that Joey is holding wouldn't have stopped this either unless that piece is a little wider that the square section. You can't see it in the picks but it went just to the inside of the squares. I'll try to get a better pic of the hole location tomorrow.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Skids wouldn't have helped stop this at all. It went right on the inside edge of the square hole piece. There is a kind small gap between the squares and the inner wheel.
The piece that Joey is holding wouldn't have stopped this either unless that piece is a little wider that the square section. You can't see it in the picks but it went just to the inside of the squares. I'll try to get a better pic of the hole location tomorrow.

The piece I'm holding may not have stopped it. But one of the other two would have. I put three pieces to cover the whole area. If I can help in anyway if you decide to add protection, let me know.

" jak9922" lmfao grilling hotdogs on a stick over an open popo hahahahaha

Reactions: sharp and JLH
JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, for some reason I wasn't seeing all of Joeys pics. In the complete pic, the piece close to the brake resvoir would have stopped this stick. On joeys inside pic, the stick came thru right at the inside edge of the three screws on the foot rest, missing the little squares.
Thanks for the pics Joey, I will be doing this mod as soon as I can get the materials and the replacement wheel well.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok, for some reason I wasn't seeing all of Joeys pics. In the complete pic, the piece close to the brake resvoir would have stopped this stick. On joeys inside pic, the stick came thru right at the inside edge of the three screws on the foot rest, missing the little squares.
Thanks for the pics Joey, I will be doing this mod as soon as I can get the materials and the replacement wheel well.

FYI

2c086b7b48cff79380218d78dba28927

Probably can be found cheaper but McMaster is a time saver for finding something and getting it quick.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI

2c086b7b48cff79380218d78dba28927

Probably can be found cheaper but McMaster is a time saver for finding something and getting it quick.

Not uhmw, but hdpe, not exactly sure the diffence but amazon has it in the same sheet for$11

Reactions: JLH and JTW
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
On speedwaymotors.com they have rolls of black plastic. Dont know if its uhmw or hdpe, it might not be either for all i know. Its 1/8" thick and comes in 25' rolls for like $45. I think the rolls were like 22" tall if i remember right. Its meant to be used as airdams and wings and body parts on circle track race cars, but i bought a few rolls of black and used it as paneling on my old pontoon boat fenceing. They also have red, yellow, and a few more colors.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
UHMW is a lot tougher than HDPE. The oem plastic is HDPE and you see how brittle it is!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just looked over on their website. It does say its hdpe, not uhmw. So i guess its not as strong, but i would go out on a limb and say its not as brittle as the floor. I cant imagine a limb busting through it though. Heres a pic of the stuff im talking about if anybody is interested. Uhmw sounds like the way to go though. Heck the stuff is useful in other projects as well lol.

Screenshot 2017 03 13 13 43 12

JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Image Image
These should give you a better idea as to where it went thru the wheel well.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Someone posted in the 500 threads that Ricochet Rock Sliders made another piece available for the wheel wells for an extra $25. Aluminum.

Reactions: JTW
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I got a 4x4 to work with.
This 1/8" uhmw will definitely be easier to work with than the 1/4". Will probably use bolts or maybe rivets.

IMG 3652 1

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Is that a Ring Tail Tooter in that picture?
As I was looking that up my cat said "tell smitty get to get his ass up here and I show him what a ring tail tooter can do."

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As I was looking that up my cat said "tell smitty get to get his ass up here and I show him what a ring tail tooter can do."
We have one, we know!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!