Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I remember a member posting about going down a trail at slow speed and a limb coming thru the passenger wheel well and nearly hitting him. I thought, "what are the odds of that happening?" Well it turns out, that in my case, the odds were pretty good.
I put the spray rig in this morning and went out spot spraying thistles. Going about 5 mph in low range, stopping and starting often, hanging out the door, looking at the ground. I was nearly thru when I heard a pop from the passenger side and a stick came thru the wheel well, about 2 1/2 feet. Scared the crap out of me. It ripped a hole in the wheel well about 5" long.
It amazed me that the stick came thru the wheel well so easily. I was going no faster than 5 mph and had someone been in the passenger seat, they could have been seriously injured.
Are many folks experiencing this issue, or am I just lucky?View attachment 38009View attachment 38010View attachment 38011
It doesn't happen often, but once causing an injury is too much. I know of a 9 yr old girl that lost her lower leg and foot because of this happening in a RZR.
Some have fabricated aluminum wheels well shields from 0.125" aluminum sheets deter penetration from sticks etc.

Glad no one was hurt in your mishap.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I remember a member posting about going down a trail at slow speed and a limb coming thru the passenger wheel well and nearly hitting him. I thought, "what are the odds of that happening?" Well it turns out, that in my case, the odds were pretty good.
I put the spray rig in this morning and went out spot spraying thistles. Going about 5 mph in low range, stopping and starting often, hanging out the door, looking at the ground. I was nearly thru when I heard a pop from the passenger side and a stick came thru the wheel well, about 2 1/2 feet. Scared the crap out of me. It ripped a hole in the wheel well about 5" long.
It amazed me that the stick came thru the wheel well so easily. I was going no faster than 5 mph and had someone been in the passenger seat, they could have been seriously injured.
Are many folks experiencing this issue, or am I just lucky?View attachment 38009View attachment 38010View attachment 38011

Been seeing too much of this crazy sh** lately...just ordered up the Ricochet rock sliders and the added pieces for the wheel wells for the 500. I've had them in the cart for months just because I wanted them, now $300 is worth saving a leg.

JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It doesn't happen often, but once causing an injury is too much. I know of a 9 yr old girl that lost her lower leg and foot because of this happening in a RZR.
Some have fabricated aluminum wheels well shields from 0.125" aluminum sheets deter penetration from sticks etc.

Glad no one was hurt in your mishap.

Thanks, I'm glad the wife wasn't with me. If it didn't hurt her, the sight of the stick coming thru the wheel well would have scared her bad enough she would ever get back in in. I let her see the pics and then explained the cost of the extra armor and her reply was to get it ordered. She's deathly afraid of snakes and if nothing else, she would have thought it was a snake trying to kill her.

Anyone with aluminum wheel wells want to weigh in? I would be interested in seeing pic if anyone has some.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I'm glad the wife wasn't with me. If it didn't hurt her, the sight of the stick coming thru the wheel well would have scared her bad enough she would ever get back in in. I let her see the pics and then explained the cost of the extra armor and her reply was to get it ordered. She's deathly afraid of snakes and if nothing else, she would have thought it was a snake trying to kill her.

Anyone with aluminum wheel wells want to weigh in? I would be interested in seeing pic if anyone has some.
Yea sticks come out of no where

Reactions: Ridem32 and JLH
J

JTW

I know a guy with several road signs I'm going to have to visit and see what I can come up with..

Reactions: JLH and Ridem32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have several friends that look just like him. Speed limit signs might be a perfect fit cut in half to make a set lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
J

JTW

I have several friends that look just like him. Speed limit signs might be a perfect fit cut in half to make a set lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking a one piece aluminum wheel well guard would be perfect! Going to take a little figuring, cutting and welding but shouldn't be too bad once you get your pattern.

Reactions: popeye
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I'm kind of curious if anyone has put any thought into having these guards in place will causing a stick to deflect upwards threw the dash. We all know stuff may happen, I'm just concerned for making it a worse situation than it already is, I'm going to look at mine today.

Reactions: Ridem32
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm kind of curious if anyone has put any thought into having these guards in place will causing a stick to deflect upwards threw the dash. We all know stuff may happen, I'm just concerned for making it a worse situation than it already is, I'm going to look at mine today.

I had the same thought. My hope is that the stick will get crushed or deflect straight upward.
Some protection is better than none at all I guess.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We all know that sticks will go through the wheel well so adding some protection will help. So I'm adding some.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I was thinking that too but I'd prefer it goes thru the dash than into someone's crotch.

Looking at the angles for cab penetration, injury is a lot less likely with protection in place

Reactions: trigger
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dash is replaceable. The twig and berries isnt.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know the new kawasaki teryx they did a recal because of the same issue and installed a wheel well skid for free. Doesnt help us but just thought people should be aware

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ridem32
J

Jshell3

Been seeing too much of this crazy sh** lately...just ordered up the Ricochet rock sliders and the added pieces for the wheel wells for the 500. I've had them in the cart for months just because I wanted them, now $300 is worth saving a leg.
Make sure you've got an impact socket driver and 40 torx head bit!

Reactions: trigger and Ridem32
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!