P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

ARDilbert

ARDilbert

Jul 4, 2022
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed the plug and play signal, license plate holder, horn, and hazards kit. Been talking with South Dakota Motor Vehicle Department to get the registration steps to license it for Arkansas. The person I spoke with says that UTVs, ATVs, and Four Wheelers are not considered farm vehicles and therefore are not exempt from tax. However, I read them the exception rule found in Section 32-5-1.4 which states:

Current with changes from the 2022 Legislative Session
Section 32-5-1.4 - All-terrain vehicles used in agriculture exempt
Any three-wheeled or four-wheeled all-terrain vehicle using a highway ditch or crossing a highway to get to and from a field or pasture and being used in the course of farm or ranch labor is exempt from the provisions of this chapter.
SDCL 32-5-1.4
SL 1985, ch 242.

The lady told me that it was absolutely ridiculous that ATVs, UTVs, and Four Wheelers were considered farm vehicles in Arkansas and that they absolutely were NOT exempt from tax in South Dakota. Even after reading the exception rule, she still stated that I would have to pay sales tax in South Dakota to license my UTV.

I registered it in AR as a farm vehicle, since I do own and operate a working cattle farm and use it primarily for farm use, and therefore it was exempt from sales tax. Has anyone else registered and licensed their Pioneer in a different state that recognizes farm vehicles as tax exempt and allowed you to license it out of state?

M

Moxdmguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2020
Lone Jack, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Added some seat covers front and back, @trigger QuickShield and burnt up some brush today. Killing time until deer season….
1ECE684C 6549 43E1 BD27 E79596C73720
68C37A0B EBE2 46FB 88EA C6893D58D6EE

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made the plunge and bought a set of Rough Country M1 shocks. Finished installing today.

Lets face it, I am a cheapskate and turning loose of $1500 - $2500 for a set of shocks for a "Non-Race" vehicle just was not going to happen. The original shocks on the PIONEER are extremely stiff and harsh over sharp edged bumps and on rocky terrain. They feel like they are over-damping the low rate springs with excessive low and high speed compression damping. They also seem to be very weak in rebound. Many people add more preload to gain ride height and this just makes the situation worse. These are just my professional opinions.

After installing the M1's front and rear, I set the spring preload to maintain my previously measured static ride height AND to also give 1 inch of loaded sag. The springs on the M1's took very little preload to arrive at this setting. Even this low preload left the spring itself able to maintain ride height. This means that I have a fairly high spring rate at a very low preload, which I consider a positive for ride quality. I did not need to use the available preload of these shocks to gain ride height, since I have a STORNGMADE Lift kit installed. Adding spring preload to gain ride height is the least desireable option for me. My "before" and "after" static ride heights were virtually unchanged.

My first riding impression is that these dampers, springs and adjustments have improved the ride specifically on the rougher terrain. It seems more "plush" (if that term can be applied to a PIONEER). We will need to go out and test more extensively on some of our favorite trails in order to see if this initial impression holds up after a long ride.

IMG 2266 IMG 2265 IMG 2264

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@mlynch001 did that strongmade lift change your shock geometry? The bracket lifts that move the shock top outward are also detrimental to ride quailty.
Yup, strongmade lifts do the same as the others. Hes best taking it off and adding pre load and some arms if he hasnt yet. Stock shocks suck normally, with that bracket lift there like a 3/4 truck with front leaf springs 🤣

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@mlynch001 did that strongmade lift change your shock geometry? The bracket lifts that move the shock top outward are also detrimental to ride quailty.
Dave,

That is not true of the STRONGMADE kit. It is the ONLY kit that does not move the upper or lower pivot points significantly in or out. The shock angle is not changed in any way, at least from what I measured. This is why I used it.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1K5Dave said:
Yup, strongmade lifts do the same as the others. Hes best taking it off and adding pre load and some arms if he hasnt yet. Stock shocks suck normally, with that bracket lift there like a 3/4 truck with front leaf springs 🤣

Incorrect Information. STRONGMADE Does not significantly. change geometry or ride quality. This is why I continue to use the kit. It is the Best design of all the bracket lift kits. Shock angle measured 0.1~0.2 degree of change before and after installation.

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's pretty cool @mlynch001 - I wasn't aware that there was one available that didn't mess with geometry. Going to check it out out of curiosity (don't need anymore lift myself, but good info for others)

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would add that this kit is better than using "upper mount" bracket kits and spring pucks or collars to gain lift. Upper barckets make significant change in the shock angles. Spring pucks add some lift but they also add significant pre-load, which deteriorates the ride even more. The only "significant" change in geometry with the STRONGMADE Kit is the angles of the arms, of course. You cannot add lift without changing the angles of the arms, but that change is not a function of changing the shock angles. The kit gives you about 2" of lift, not as much as the other "upper bracket lifts", but it does not severely change the shock angles.

Last edited:
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This kit is not as simple an install as the upper mount kits, takes more time to install, but overall still not bad. Finally, I am not a compensated endorser of the product. I paid full price for the kit. Just satisfied that I got what I wanted and it did not deteriorate the ride "Quality" further.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This kit is not as simple an install as the upper mount kits, takes more time to install, but overall still not bad. Finally, I am not a compensated endorser of the product. I paid full price for the kit. Just satisfied that I got what I wanted and it did not deteriorate the ride "Quality" further.
Do you have some pics of the lift installed? Maybe a build thread?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I didn't add it today, three years ago a CEC affordable enclosure. When it's cold/raining it's great, just a bunch of snaps. I trailer with it on, no issues. Came in handy at the cabin this weekend, temp range 18*to 36*. It was great!

Last edited:
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have some pics of the lift installed? Maybe a build thread?
Here is my build thread:

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed the plug and play signal, license plate holder, horn, and hazards kit. Been talking with South Dakota Motor Vehicle Department to get the registration steps to license it for Arkansas. The person I spoke with says that UTVs, ATVs, and Four Wheelers are not considered farm vehicles and therefore are not exempt from tax. However, I read them the exception rule found in Section 32-5-1.4 which states:

Current with changes from the 2022 Legislative Session
Section 32-5-1.4 - All-terrain vehicles used in agriculture exempt
Any three-wheeled or four-wheeled all-terrain vehicle using a highway ditch or crossing a highway to get to and from a field or pasture and being used in the course of farm or ranch labor is exempt from the provisions of this chapter.
SDCL 32-5-1.4
SL 1985, ch 242.

The lady told me that it was absolutely ridiculous that ATVs, UTVs, and Four Wheelers were considered farm vehicles in Arkansas and that they absolutely were NOT exempt from tax in South Dakota. Even after reading the exception rule, she still stated that I would have to pay sales tax in South Dakota to license my UTV.

I registered it in AR as a farm vehicle, since I do own and operate a working cattle farm and use it primarily for farm use, and therefore it was exempt from sales tax. Has anyone else registered and licensed their Pioneer in a different state that recognizes farm vehicles as tax exempt and allowed you to license it out of state?
If you want a plate just do it in ID.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!