P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Installed the Superwinch 3500 Synth today. The kit came with everything you need to do the install. I chose the synthetic rope to save weight; it basically weighs nothing. Any weight I can save on the rig is good. Took about 4.5 hours and I went carefully. All the supplied wires were just the correct length.

20161211 094225 resized
The KFI mounting plate (purchased separately) bolted into place with no problem. The two u-bolts were abit tight so I spread them about 2 mm and they fit fine.

20161211 100341 resized
Next the fairlead bolted onto the plate that comes with the winch.

20161211 115927 resized
I decided to mount the relay / stator under the front hood. I've had to replace these winch relays so wanted it easy to access. There is a stock location to mount the relay on the cross member. I looked and felt it was too close to the opening in the inner fender so would be splashed a lot. Where I mounted it, alittle further forward, was clean so I figure the relay won't get splashed as much. It's about the cleanest, driest place on the machine.

20161211 121629 resized
I jacked the rig up, took the passenger side tires off and removed the skid plates. That gave me access to run the two heavy guage wires from the battery to the relay up front.

20161211 124117 resized
I used the supplied short red wire from the positive battery terminal to the fuses. A plastic box is supplied to protect the fuses. I siliconed the box up to keep it water tight. The box is zip tied in place in the wheel well. I didn't have to cut the battery box... just ran the positive wire down with the other wiring.

20161211 124149 resized
There's a ground point just to the right of the battery box. I started my negative lead there. Figured it would be fine. I then ran the two heavy wires up in the frame, zip-tying it next to the main wiring harness that goes to the front of the machine. There is little to no chance of mechanical abrasion of these two wires so I'm pretty pleased with the route. Lots of room under there.

20161211 131947 resized
I didn't follow the colour-coding of the wires. Not a big deal. The supplied heavy wires were the perfect length to get to where I'd placed the relay. They supplied rubbery plastic sleaves that protect the four contact points. It makes a nice clean job.

20161211 180420 resized
I placed the on-off switch on the flat spot under the left / driver's side cup holder. I removed the cup holder to get a screw driver in there. It's a convenient place for the switch, out of the way, and relatively dry. There's a seam in the plastic right next to where the switch is placed, with enough room to push the wire from the switch into the front compartment. Ran that wire across towards where I had the relay. I had already installed the Honda auxiliary power harness (it just plugs in to a plug that is ready and waiting there under the front hood). Used one of the four power points on the auxiliary harness to power the relay.

I haven't installed the remote-control plug yet. I'll think about where to put it for afew days.

20161211 152939 resized
And voila. Winch works fine.

Last edited:
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, mild winter so far then? Ours just showed up last week, first cold as hell. Now the snow last night. About 4-6" where I'm at, 8-10" about an hour south.

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you go to garage and find my p500 it should be there with the rest of the build
Did not find it. Just saw previous snorkel mod there

Did u also did frame mod to accommodate 28" BH?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
oceanside long island new york

ok if I get a chance ill snap a few pictures for you and no frame mods for the 28"s all factory I run both those and my interco"s 30x8x12 with no issues

advertisement