JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm trying to talk my brother into one, so I don't have to buy it... Give me some of your experiences with them, such as:

• How capable are they compared to SXS?
  • Things to look out for when buying one
  • Which makes/models are better than others?
Thanks,
Jonathan.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm trying to talk my brother into one, so I don't have to buy it... Give me some of your experiences with them, such as:

Thanks,
Jonathan.
The state parks in Arkansas gave them a try and wont be doing that again. They were for housekeeping to use for cleaning cabins and hauling towels and bed linens. They are about as capable as a golf cart when it comes to ground clearance. Try to climb a paved hill and you'll find out they don't have enough power to pull a sick whore off the pot. They are slap jobs loosely assembled with lowest quality parts. Interiors fall to pieces and they are plagued with electrical and mechanical problems. I don't think one brand is any better than the rest since they typically are all made in Korea.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks,
Jonathan.
KEI trucks?

• Haha
Reactions: Vikes79 and Biteme
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
KEI trucks?
I’ve seen it as Mini Trucks most often, but for some reason a google of that bring up mini vans along with regular trucks. (For sale)
I don’t know what KEI even means. I could be using it wrong in this context, but I see it in a lot of the search results.

Reactions: Vikes79
1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500

Reactions: JsheII3 and Vikes79
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
You got it right. KEI is a contraction that means "light automobile ". They are a limited class of vehicle, 660cc engine, small size and no more than 64 horsepower.
They make small trucks and vans also. They are made and used in Japan and they have no problem keeping up with Tokyo traffic (which if you are envisioning bumper to bumper traffic is not that impressive). In Japan they get a huge tax break and make up 1/3 of cars in Japan.

Compared to a SxS they will last much longer but typically you are getting a used vehicle in the US. They where made with all the street legal stuff you would expect from a car (safety standards are diffrent in Japan). Off road they are not as capable stock and difficult to modify. But they do have 4x4 variants with features like locking diffs. Most of the trucks have nifty drop down sides, think 3 tail gates.

My experience with them is mostly in Japan. In the early '70s my family visited Japan. My uncle had recently been promoted to the level where he had a company car so he came to the airport to pick us up. In my memory it was a Honda N600 (they used to sell them here) but uncle was a Toyota man so that is probably not correct, but that is the size car we are talking about. Uncle put all the suitcases on the roof and lashed them on with rope about doubling the size of the car. Then us 4 Americans and Uncle piled in and off we went. Probably not the experiance you where looking for but oh well.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve seen it as Mini Trucks most often, but for some reason a google of that bring up mini vans along with regular trucks. (For sale)
I don’t know what KEI even means. I could be using it wrong in this context, but I see it in a lot of the search results.
To my knowledge the common name is Jap mini truck. I have had one for about 8 yrs. I found them to be fairly capable with ATV tires. NOT for rock climbing, but a very good hunting vehicle that will keep you DRY and WARM.

Reactions: JsheII3
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@lee I love your stories. Thanks for the info. @BigOL3 thats primarily what My brother is interested in doing.

I know we can make them street legal in Mississippi, but only like 1995 or older (due to safety and emission regulations forced on vehicles 25yrs or younger). We can own them newer, just can’t get car tags.

The Suzuki Carry seems to be the most popular.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!