P500 What kind of Overhead Gun rack is working for well?

P

pastorbmp

Dec 13, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I'm looking for an overhead gun rack for my Honda Pioneer 500. What is working for those of you who have one? I have been looking at the Big Sky gun rack that goes from SIDE TO SIDE. In my Yamaha Rhino, I installed a Quick Draw overhead gun rack (which mounted from front bar to back bar), but the rear roll bar in the Honda is so low, I worry about bumping my head on my guns. Any help appreciated

Overhead gun rack 2 Overhead gun rack

P

pastorbmp

Dec 13, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I put a rack in my roof and have ended up using it for a shovel.
When driving you might want to consider a gun case of some kind. Dust and dirt gets pretty bad on a gun in the open.
I've been real happy with this one: Cabela's 52" TAC Gear UTV Double Gun Case : Cabela's

Thanks so much for the input. I had an open rack in my Yamaha Rhino for my guns and loved it. In the places I hunt - the logging roads are usually covered with leaves, I am about the only traffic on the logging roads - so, there is really no problem with dust. For those times I am on dusty roads or gravel roads, I keep it in the case and just keep in the cab with me. Thanks again.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
The bigger problem you'll figure out is the under roof area is too small for all but short carbines. It was a problem getting my Ruger Ranch rifle in and out and it is only 35" long. That double rifle case is great when you have a hunting buddy along too.

Reactions: FuzzyGrub
P

pastorbmp1965

Dec 4, 2016
US
Thanks so much. That is something to consider.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

P

pastorbmp1965

Dec 4, 2016
US
The bigger problem you'll figure out is the under roof area is too small for all but short carbines. It was a problem getting my Ruger Ranch rifle in and out and it is only 35" long. That double rifle case is great when you have a hunting buddy along too.
The case you have from Cabelas - a couple questions if you don't mind :

1. Does it strap to the top roll bar?
2. When mounted, does it hang low enough it blocks your view when backingbup, or can you mount it higher, where it won't block your view?
3. Also, can you "unclip it" easily so you can get it out of the weather when needed?
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Big sky single utv. I love mine. As long as the rifle is under 40" it will fit between the roll bars.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Cases
The case you have from Cabelas - a couple questions if you don't mind :

1. Does it strap to the top roll bar? There are two straps on each side so you could mount it low or high. I actually two of them so we can take four rifles for prairie dogs.
2. When mounted, does it hang low enough it blocks your view when backingbup, or can you mount it higher, where it won't block your view? If you mount it low, basically sitting on the rack no problem. A second one will block your view.
3. Also, can you "unclip it" easily so you can get it out of the weather when needed? Yes. It also has a rain cover built in.
Thanks so much.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!