P1000 What size tires for your Honda Pioneer 1000?

What size tires will you run on the P1k?

• 26 inch or smaller

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 27 inch (OEM Size)

Votes: 58 16.8%
  • 28 inch

Votes: 155 44.9%
  • 29 inch

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 30 inch

Votes: 86 24.9%
  • 31 inch

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 32+ inch

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
Ok, good to know, I had larger tires on my ram truck and the dealer charged me 50 dollars to recalibrate those, must be a different setup on a SxS though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, good to know, I had larger tires on my ram truck and the dealer charged me 50 dollars to recalibrate those, must be a different setup on a SxS though.

Some manufacturers are still doing it, some have moved away from after purchase customization completely. I don't think it's setup so much as policy. Chevy WILL NOT do it at all they will not sell you anything that did not come preconfigured from the factory on that vehicle, even if it's an option on the lineup. (Sore spot)

Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
Yea I'm thinking more about 28" all around, still close to factory specs but gain inch of ground clearance and speedo won't change much.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I'm thinking more about 28" all around, still close to factory specs but gain inch of ground clearance and speedo won't change much.

In an ideal world if you go from a 27" tire to a 28" tire you will only gain half an inch of clearance. It depends on the tire. A significant number of manufactures LIE about actual tire sizes, if it's labeled 28x10-12 it should measure 28x10-12 not 27x9x12. It's amazing they can make the rim diameter the same everytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
What about tire width, oem says front is 27x9-14 while back tires are 27x11-14. If I went with a 28x10-14 all around would it not steer as precise. Just thinking that way if I get a spare it would work on any side. Whats the advantage of the smaller front and larger back(oem) compared to what I was thinking?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had 28x10-12 on my 700-4 steering I couldn't tell the difference. I know it was softer with the additional sidewall but it's an utility class machine I'm not racing it. It was hard to steer in 4Lock anyway so I put EPS on it, NIGHT AND DAY difference. The 1000 (except base model) has EPS.

I had a spare which was the same size, that was my reason for going the same size. I had 10wide on front and 12wide on rear 27" tires and I moved to 28's all around later. Couldn't tell the difference, I like to imagine the traction was more even.

834a09eb3dada52ae88d97e016135682
27's

8655293b05b2ca5512989394a9624ecc
28's

Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
Man that's a nice rig! I like all those leds, the red strip looks sweet too. Yea I'll probably wear out the factory tires first, then get some 28x10-14. This will be my first sxs,(got my deposit down!)I've grown up with dirt bikes and atv, but now looking at a sxs so I can take my kids too! Super pumped, thanks for the info!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man that's a nice rig! I like all those leds, the red strip looks sweet too. Yea I'll probably wear out the factory tires first, then get some 28x10-14. This will be my first sxs,(got my deposit down!)I've grown up with dirt bikes and atv, but now looking at a sxs so I can take my kids too! Super pumped, thanks for the info!

Thanks, the 700 was my first SXS, learned a lot about what worked and what didn't. Way too many LEDS haha! Also had a lot of heavy accessories and the weight added up. Going to lighten them up for the 1000.

I'm waiting impatiently for my Silver 1000-5d to show up.

I'm going with the 30x10-14 Blackwater Evos like the 28's I had on my 700 On MSA23 rims, I'll have a brand new set of rims and tires for sale. They worked well for what I used it for, I was very happy with them.

Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
Are the MSA23 wheels lighter than oem or do you just like the look better? Are you going 10" wide all around too? I also ordered the silver color, love that black on black look!

advertisement
Luketheduke

Luketheduke

Sep 1, 2015
Washington state
Was also looking at getting the protection package through honda with all the skid protection, but then I read a post on this sit that was saying plastic is better, 1/2 " stuff, slides over obstacles better, may look into that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was also looking at getting the protection package through honda with all the skid protection, but then I read a post on this sit that was saying plastic is better, 1/2 " stuff, slides over obstacles better, may look into that.

UHMW skids are great. Tough, don't bend, and SLICK as snot on grease.

Reactions: JACKAL
K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks, the 700 was my first SXS, learned a lot about what worked and what didn't. Way too many LEDS haha! Also had a lot of heavy accessories and the weight added up. Going to lighten them up for the 1000.

I'm waiting impatiently for my Silver 1000-5d to show up.

I'm going with the 30x10-14 Blackwater Evos like the 28's I had on my 700 On MSA23 rims, I'll have a brand new set of rims and tires for sale. They worked well for what I used it for, I was very happy with them.

How do you like the EVOs? I was thinking about ordering a set of 30s as well. Im either doing 30 evos of 29 original bighorns depending on some feedback I get from people who have used either tire, 10in wide all the way around with aftermarket rims that have the same offset on all four corners so I can rotate.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you like the EVOs? I was thinking about ordering a set of 30s as well. Im either doing 30 evos of 29 original bighorns depending on some feedback I get from people who have used either tire, 10in wide all the way around with aftermarket rims that have the same offset on all four corners so I can rotate.

@joeymt33 led me to them, I was really happy with their performance. Great jack of all terrain tires, even did pretty well in mud.
Radial so REALLY smooth, 8ply so really tough. I ride around a lot of rocks and my first set of tires were bought as a replacement for the factories because I pinched/cut sidewalls.
No opinion on the Bighorn except EVERYONE ELSE had them and sometimes thats because they are good sometimes its just great marketing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the MSA23 wheels lighter than oem or do you just like the look better? Are you going 10" wide all around too? I also ordered the silver color, love that black on black look!

Not sure about lighter, I think they are pretty close in weight.
I do like the look and out of all the designs, look to be the easiest to clean.
Wheels will be 7" wide with 10" tires. Helps protect the rim.

K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
@joeymt33 led me to them, I was really happy with their performance. Great jack of all terrain tires, even did pretty well in mud.
Radial so REALLY smooth, 8ply so really tough. I ride around a lot of rocks and my first set of tires were bought as a replacement for the factories because I pinched/cut sidewalls.
No opinion on the Bighorn except EVERYONE ELSE had them and sometimes thats because they are good sometimes its just great marketing.

Ok thank you, I know the evos are a heavier tire than the bighorns but like you said there 8ply vs 6ply. If you have to put a lift on to fit 30s ill probably go with the next smallest size will fit without a lift. Which im hoping is a 29in and I don't think evos come in 29in just 28 and 30? How do the evos wear and how are they on pavement? This is where most of my riding takes place unfortunately. Everyone around me runs original bighorns and loves them I don't think ive ever seen anyone with a set of evos that's why im looking for some opinions on them.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!