WHAT THE H*#% HONDA!!

Roy906

Roy906

Apr 10, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my first ride on my brand new 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 in Iron County WI. Towards the end of the ride I started noticing a clicking down by the drive shaft. I dropped the skid plate thinking maybe a stick got in between and found that one of the cables is actually wrapped around the drive shaft! How drunk was the assembler at Honda that day!? So much for full QC inspections that I would assume a place like Honda would have.

can’t quite tell what cable it is but I’m assuming it may be for the 4x4 or diff lock? Anyone have an idea? It’s hard to get good pictures but it runs from the front of the machine back to the rear diff as far as I can tell.

34487C45 BDB5 4064 840A F23156BFAAD4 784772B8 9FF2 4BF7 92AD 895D8BD51055

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my first ride on my brand new 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 in Iron County WI. Towards the end of the ride I started noticing a clicking down by the drive shaft. I dropped the skid plate thinking maybe a stick got in between and found that one of the cables is actually wrapped around the drive shaft! How drunk was the assembler at Honda that day!? So much for full QC inspections that I would assume a place like Honda would have.

can’t quite tell what cable it is but I’m assuming it may be for the 4x4 or diff lock? Anyone have an idea? It’s hard to get good pictures but it runs from the front of the machine back to the rear diff as far as I can tell.

View attachment 275472 View attachment 275473
That sucks, they definitely dropped the ball.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’m sorry you’ve got an issue on your new machine. That sucks to hear. I truly am believing Honda has gone downhill considerably as of late. It makes me sad as I’ve liked everyone I’ve ever owned.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m sorry you’ve got an issue on your new machine. That sucks to hear. I truly am believing Honda has gone downhill considerably as of late. It makes me sad as I’ve liked everyone I’ve ever owned.
We all have to remember that QC is probably working overtime right now trying to get these units out the door and to the dealers. As much as I hate to say it, that issue could easily be overlooked.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
We all have to remember that QC is probably working overtime right now trying to get these units out the door and to the dealers. As much as I hate to say it, that issue could easily be overlooked.

Being down on workers in our shop, I whole heartedly have to agree with this. I am doing double, sometimes triple duty trying to get things done myself, and yes, I have made simple rookie mistakes I never have before. Hearing things being said about them it looks like they have one of two choices. They can either risk losing customers from no products, or risk losing customers from (usually small) QC problems. I would imagine they are betting on little QC problems being easier to fit in than not having anything at all to sell. Just a thought.

Roy906

Roy906

Apr 10, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being down on workers in our shop, I whole heartedly have to agree with this. I am doing double, sometimes triple duty trying to get things done myself, and yes, I have made simple rookie mistakes I never have before. Hearing things being said about them it looks like they have one of two choices. They can either risk losing customers from no products, or risk losing customers from (usually small) QC problems. I would imagine they are betting on little QC problems being easier to fit in than not having anything at all to sell. Just a thought.
I can definitely see your point. I work in manufacturing too and have seen things like this. I was just fired up because it never seems to fail for me that I end up with one off issues that nobody else seems to have and with Honda being such a reputable company it just struck me as odd to see this type of mistake. To be fair I would’ve asked the assemblers where I work the same question “how drunk were you?” Haha

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can definitely see your point. I work in manufacturing too and have seen things like this. I was just fired up because it never seems to fail for me that I end up with one off issues that nobody else seems to have and with Honda being such a reputable company it just struck me as odd to see this type of mistake. To be fair I would’ve asked the assemblers where I work the same question “how drunk were you?” Haha

A cable in the wrong place might seem like bad luck to you but imagine if your camshaft went out at 700 miles and, it was a known issue ever since the motor moved from 4 wheelers to Big Reds and then into the 700. No warranty because I bought a Honda....shouldn't need it... right? Lets face it, quality control just isn't what it used to be, even for Honda. It's just part of life I guess. I remember my Grandfather complaining about "quality these days" back in the 80's. All that being said, I'll bet Honda's QC is still way above average.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500

Oh I totally get being upset, don't blame you. It should not happen. Most importantly is finding out why. Another thought is maybe they are hiring the best that they can, which may not be The best. Lots of good quality people refusing to go to work because somebody thought it would be a great idea to pay them more to not work. That kind of thing is beyond the manufacturer's hands unfortunately.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Most all dealers ,manufacturer , warehouse. Distribution centres all care about the $. It's cut or be cut all about the money.

Last edited:
Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First post knock on wood I have not found anything major wrong with mine. Only loose seat belt bolts..... threads were barely started and bolt on drivers side fell out.

advertisement
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I would do all I could to make sure Maw Honda knows about that screw up!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CID and ChadD
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to throw this out there my family and I were at finger lakes yesterday and heading back to the parking lot and met a guy on a brand new can am outlander 850. Had 30 minutes on his machine. He just bought it and brought it straight to finger lakes. Machine had just died as if it had a dead battery. You could jump it and it would run and once disconnected it died. Sounds like it won't charge its own battery. People are having issues everywhere. We pulled him back to camp with the wife's 1984 Honda trx200 :p

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
China is the other reason good people don't work in this country. Manufacturers simply can't/won't compete with slave labor over there. They can't/won't create jobs in the US when china can make anything and everything for pennies on the dollar. And, the democrats only care about college level work. Importing people from around the world to compete in medical and technical jobs while encouraging manufacturing overseas. Then they kill infrastructure like pipelines and legislate the hell out of farmers. It's no wonder there's no quality blue collar workers any more. The only decent blue collar work left is union work and and when you add the union's cut to the chunk the feds steal from your paycheck, it's no wonder workers just give up. It's disgusting. Rant over....for now.
Oh I totally get being upset, don't blame you. It should not happen. Most importantly is finding out why. Another thought is maybe they are hiring the best that they can, which may not be The best. Lots of good quality people refusing to go to work because somebody thought it would be a great idea to pay them more to not work. That kind of thing is beyond the manufacturer's hands unfortunately.

• Angry
Reactions: Trapper5885 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!