P1000 What's up?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thought my oil was low the other day. Put a qrt in, Now I'm over full. What's up with the oil level. Why would Honda not just put a cold level mark on the stick. Who the heck wants to start the machine, warm it up and let it set to check the oil. I usually check it cold but the other day it was luke warm when I check it and it showed low. Crazy.
Also checked the air filter, 900 miles on it, if was fine. But let me say, you have to be one of those contortionist to get the cover off. Had to look that word up to see how to spell it. It was super hot and humid, I was sweating like a pig and I had to take breaks between bolts for the back pain. I think the Japanesse like fooling around with little soft headed bolts and plastic clip pins. That's all I can figure. Why wouldn't they just put two big wing nuts on the cover or a hinge type system. My John deere tractor is 100 horsepower with a huge air filter and it has a one handle clamp on a hinge system that holds it in. Honda could of made it so simple. I can change my tractor air filter in 15 seconds or less. Come on Honda it's 2022.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought my oil was low the other day. Put a qrt in, Now I'm over full. What's up with the oil level. Why would Honda not just put a cold level mark on the stick. Who the heck wants to start the machine, warm it up and let it set to check the oil. I usually check it cold but the other day it was luke warm when I check it and it showed low. Crazy.
Also checked the air filter, 900 miles on it, if was fine. But let me say, you have to be one of those contortionist to get the cover off. Had to look that word up to see how to spell it. It was super hot and humid, I was sweating like a pig and I had to take breaks between bolts for the back pain. I think the Japanesse like fooling around with little soft headed bolts and plastic clip pins. That's all I can figure. Why wouldn't they just put two big wing nuts on the cover or a hinge type system. My John deere tractor is 100 horsepower with a huge air filter and it has a one handle clamp on a hinge system that holds it in. Honda could of made it so simple. I can change my tractor air filter in 15 seconds or less. Come on Honda it's 2022.
Yeah, the air filter is pretty ignorant on the 1000's.
If you want to make it much easier on yourself, and probably faster. Remove the upper seat back. 5 10mm headed bolts and you gain access to the front of the filter housing. I think the time spent removing and replacing the seatback is still faster than removing the air filter blind. This also allows you to confirm the o-ring is seated properly on the housing.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, the air filter is pretty ignorant on the 1000's.
If you want to make it much easier on yourself, and probably faster. Remove the upper seat back. 5 10mm headed bolts and you gain access to the front of the filter housing. I think the time spent removing and replacing the seatback is still faster than removing the air filter blind. This also allows you to confirm the o-ring is seated properly on the housing.
I just open the bed and get in the front seat, lean over the back of the seat with a t handle allen wrench, I remove the cover and there the filter is ?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the one up front ain't dirty, the one behind the seat is clean.

(shown before oiling filter)

20211009 212022

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For checking the oil I'm gonna start doing the @CID method. When you change your oil put the correct amount of new oil back in. Check the oil level the next day before starting it up. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the oil off then put it back in but don't screw it in and then check it. This will be your oil level when cold. I'm gonna try to scratch a line on the dipstick of where it should be while cold.

I've had my rincon for 12 years (pioneer for 5 years) and the check oil procedure is the same way. I've always followed how Honda says to check it. Really doesn't seem aggravating to me but I think Cid's way is a good idea.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For checking the oil I'm gonna start doing the @CID method. When you change your oil put the correct amount of new oil back in. Check the oil level the next day before starting it up. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the oil off then put it back in but don't screw it in and then check it. This will be your oil level when cold. I'm gonna try to scratch a line on the dipstick of where it should be while cold.

I've had my rincon for 12 years (pioneer for 5 years) and the check oil procedure is the same way. I've always followed how Honda says to check it. Really doesn't seem aggravating to me but I think Cid's way is a good idea.
Remember to run the engine long enough to saturate the new filters after the oil change (and the area above them that drains when the filters are removed), you don't have to warm it up.

My Talon dipstick (same but maybe different) -
I Jv4qKHq L

advertisement
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Me too. Is this a movement?

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bumperm I like your pre-filter. What parts do I need to buy to make that?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!