P1000 Wheel Bearing Greaser

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope I'm not posting anything that's already been posted, but I recently ordered some wheel bearing greasers for my Polaris Sportsman 700 and I thought it would be nice to have something similar for the Pioneer 1000.

The bearing greaser is made by Two Guys Hobby - only on FaceBook as far as I know. It takes a little work to grease the wheel bearings, but I figure once annual greasing might greatly extend their life. When I greased the bearings on the sportsman 700 this last weekend, the rear wheel bearings were taking 30 pumps of grease before they were full, and the front bearings (which are smaller) were taking 20. I know bearings aren't really supposed to be run full of grease in most applications, but in our application I think it is probably beneficial. If they are full of grease, there is no room for water, dust, or dirt. It was surprising to see how little grease actually comes in the bearings from the factory. My son and I had just replaced all 4 wheel bearings about 2 months ago and I would not have thought they would have been so devoid of grease.

Anyway, I looked up the bearings for the Pioneer 1000, and it looks like all 4 wheels take the same bearing. I've asked Two Guys Hobby about a bearing greaser for us and he is checking into it to see if he already has one made that will fit or if he will have to make one. He wanted to go to the local Honda shop to get one in his hand to be sure.

By the way, the cost for 1 greaser is I think $60. My sportsman required 2 different sizes and the pair of greasers was $100. I didn't think that was too bad considering the cost of a set of wheel bearings.

Waylan

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a link to a youtube video showing it and how it is used.

Waylan

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd be interested in one

Sent from my iPhone 10s

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've always wondered this I may be crazy in my thinking but it seems to me that the sealed bearings tend to not get as much crap in them. I will admit I'm not good with maintenance and maybe that's part of it. It seems like even with an occasional greasing that I have had way better luck with sealed. Is this just me?

Last edited:
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wheel bearings on my polaris sportsman 700 are sealed. The oem factory bearings were sealed, and the Federal Mogul bearings I replaced them with were sealed. Anyway, what was surprising is that the new bearings that were in there had a little water come out of them when I was pumping grease in them. That can't be good.

Anyway, I'm not associated with the bearing greaser folks and don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing - but I can't help but believe I can get more life by having more lube in the bearing and getting the water out.

Waylan

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know your not associated with them but I was kind of asking a general question. You're probably right. I'm not near as worried with the Honda I haven't ever had problems with those but if something could possibly keep me from changing the every year in the Polaris would be nice. I am wondering though if that is harder on the seals being forced. Getting the water out sure seems like a good idea. I'm very curious long term

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10-4. How many miles is typical to get on a set of wheel bearings for the Pioneer 700 (I think I read that you had one before the P1000)? I'm curious as Polaris nor Honda actually make bearings for their machines as I'm sure you know. That being the case, it then comes down to the bearing being sized correctly for the application? My assumption would be that if a person could typically get 2000 miles out of a set of wheel bearings on one make, they should expect to get about the same number of miles on any brand of utv/atv in the same conditions. The wheel bearing for the rear of my sportsman 700 is 40x74x40, and the bearings for all 4 corners of the Pioneer are 40x74x36 (actually a little bit narrower). With over twice the weight riding on each corner of the Pioneer it will be interesting to see if the wheel bearings last a long time with no maintenance.

I don't know if it's good for the seals or not. None of my seals tried to pop out when I filled the bearings with grease and it started coming out around the seals.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had 2700 on the 700-4 with nothing ever. I mean nothing. Tight as hell. 5 oil changes. My Polaris's not so much. The rzr was about around 1000? The current Polaris is between 800-1000.the first time on our current Polaris I waited too long at around 1100 and it shredded my new tire. One rear wheel about fell off the other you could wiggle 1 1/2 both ways

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!