Wheel/Tire setup for X that stays under 65" (all 4 the same)?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If width is critical, why run spacers? Have no experience here, but it seems that this is purely cosmetic and i'm pretty sure i could never see the difference unless things were clean, straight and level

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So if im not mistaken, if i ran System3 SB-4 15x7 4/137 6+1 (+45mm) wheels with MRT 30x9x15 that should be same profile as the stock fronts. Then same wheels/tires rear + 1.5" spacer should give the same out width in the rear as well...if anyone wants to check my math? Im not quite as sold on the rear numbers looking right.

ahh or even better. STI HD9 15x7 4/137 6+1 (50mm) wheels with MRT 30x9x15 and then 1.5" spaces on the rear. that .2 inch difference between the System3 and STI might be kinda helpful i suppose. The with what CID said, can get away with a bit more slop in the tires themselves giving some other options similar in size. id like to stick to the 30" ish though.

And that makes total sense, @CID if the rim is within 65 even if the tire bulges out it will get inline if forced thru.
I would say either of those wheels would work. Using a tape measure I think my +38 offset, with a 10 inch wide tire, will fit. So a +45 or a +50 (which I believe is stock offset) will definitely fit. You could also use 4 stock front wheels with 1.5 inch spacers in the rear and be gtg to but not on beadlocks. I could sell you my MRT setup if you want to try it? They have over 50% tread life on them. Some of the reason I went with a wider tire in the rear, on the MRT, was due to width differences front to rear. But no matter how you slice it the rear hubs are 3.3/3.4 inches narrower than the front, which is the reason for the 1.5 spacers. The spacers are not really needed persay. Some tires and offsets in the rear will rub without a spacer (probably not 30s). Your machine will actually steer better without spacers in the rear but tip over stability is not as good. If you want fast and nibble then a lite 30 is a good choice. I think the MRT, with Kevlar I have, weighed in at like 32lbs. My 32x10x15 Terra Masters weighed 39lbs. My 32x10x15 Rockzillas weighed right at 42lbs. If memory is right, my 30" M1 Evils (which are heavy) weighed more than both of my 32inch setups. I believe my System3 Wheels weighed right at 16lbs. In case you care about lbs....I think I have some Raceline wheels that have an above +40 offset....I'll have to look. The 30" M1 Evils are mounted on those.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If width is critical, why run spacers? Have no experience here, but it seems that this is purely cosmetic and i'm pretty sure i could never see the difference unless things were clean, straight and level
I believe he's thinking about running spacers on the rear only, to keep the front and rear track width the same with four 6+1 rims so he can carry one spare.

Lil_Steve wasn't running rear spacers and even after he told me, I still couldn't see that the rear was narrower with 4 front rims.

I said earlier that the STI HD9 rims made the Talon about 2" wider but I was measuring from the outside of the tires not the rims. I'm guessing that the Talon 64" spec is to the outside of the rims, not somewhere on the body.

I'm going a bit OCD here for a minute.
Stock Talon R width is spec'd at 68.4" (assuming to the outer rim)
I'm at 67.5" front, 68.5" rear with the STI wheels (6+1 fronts, 4+3 rears)
So the STI wheels decreased my width by 9/10" front and increased the rear by 1/10"

@Lil_Steve do you have a stock front and HD9 front with no tire that you can measure the offset differences? (like cement up to mounting surface)

fwiw: I'm happy with 30" tires, occasionally scraping over rocks but the 1/2" Trail Armor is handling that.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lil_Steve wasn't running rear spacers and even after he told me, I still couldn't see that the rear was narrower with 4 front rims.

@Lil_Steve do you have a stock front and HD9 front with no tire that you can measure the offset differences? (like cement up to mounting surface)

Yeah, I bought the spacers, tried them and pulled them, never liked the idea of wheel spacers. After trying STI bead locks in different offsets, I went to 4 stock front wheels and have been happy with that set up.

The HD9's are long gone, so I'm unable to compare offset differences between the 2.

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Yeah, I bought the spacers, tried them and pulled them, never liked the idea of wheel spacers. After trying STI bead locks in different offsets, I went to 4 stock front wheels and have been happy with that set up.

The HD9's are long gone, so I'm unable to compare offset differences between the 2.
Thanks for responding @Lil_Steve . I was wondering if I would need spacers when I switch the back rims out to front ones. I really didn't want to have to use them.

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Thanks for the offer @Hometeam but I am still in the create spreadsheet with all costs step for planning my purchase and everything i want to do to ensure its doable before i buy.

@CID I am probably going a bit OCD on this as well. I need to make myself understand the math so ive been doing way too much calculations and tape measure work.

Assuming 6" width is ACTUALLY 6", 7" is 7" ect.:

From what ive read stock is 15x6.5 on 28x9s with +50mm offset. If i do my math right, 6.5" is 165.1mm. midpoint (without material thickness) would be 82.55mm +50mm offset = 132.55mm from axle to wheel connection. 32.55mm on the outside of the wheel.

Anchoring on the stat of (2x) 32.55mm = 64.5" vehicle width...i should be able to mathematically calculate how much wider a setup might be. With 9 inch tires you could expect ~ 1.25" tire protrusion outside the rim (roughly), which as CID mentioned should be able to be squished through a 65" gate if needed as the protrusion should malleable with the rubber and tire pressure.

7" rim (177.8mm) with a midpoint of 88.9 + 50mm offset = 138.9mm inside and 38.9mm outside would be 6.35mm or .25". So 1 on each side would add 1/2 inch total. so with this setup it would be 65" on the nose outside of the hub to hub. tire protrusion would be ~ 1inch on each side, not really concerned about this.

7" rim (177.8mm) with a midpoint of 88.9 + 45 offset = 133.9mm inside and 43.9mm outside would be 11.35mm or .44" x 2 = .88" or 65.38 total width. close. tire protrusion on a 9" tire would be ~1 inch on each side.

6" rim (152.4mm) with midpoint of 76.2mm + 50 offset = 127.2mm inside and 25.2mm outside would be -7.35mm or .28" x 2 = .56" or 63.94 " wide. tire protrusion with a 9" wheel would be ~ 1.5 inches.

So it looks like 7" with 50mm is a touch wider, better would be to stick with 6.5s if they are findable (or just get OEM as hometown mentioned). +45 would be slightly too wide. I wish the 6" rims would work as method has some nice looking bead grip rims to not have to deal with the bead lock, but only 15x6 50mm offset. I considered maybe jumping up to 9.5" tires like the EFX Motovator at 30x9.5. if they were offset 45mm it would be interesting as it would only be -2.35mm or .0925" per side or 64.314" total width.

Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Sep 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ride the northern Wisconsin and UP trails as well and was also a liltle concerned with fitting through the gates/bridges after installing aftermarket wheels/tires. I have KMC Addict +38 front and +10 rear on a Talon X2 and have had zero issues fitting through anything. Haven't measured any gates but there is definitely extra room for clearance. My mud guards are actually the widest part of the machine and those have not even made contact. I am running 30x10-14 tires and am happy with the improved ride and no loss of power.

IMG 20220602 133817273 3

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Thanks @Nighthawk thats some great context! Have you hit the spooner-ish area at all? i havent with anything big myself but curios if your rig gets through! Thanks again!

Reactions: Smitty335
Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Sep 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. Talon X
Absolutely! Just a little east is one of my favorite areas to ride. The Talon is a very capable machine for any Wisconsin trails as they are glorified highways compared to what they were 20 years ago. The Dead Horse area is great also if your looking for a little more challenge.

Reactions: toddvdh
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang, thanks @Hometeam ! Those pics are awesome! the MRT i was looking at are the same you ran in front i think; Race 30x9; id have to find wheels to run them on all 4 and 1.5" spacers i think but the size looks about right to keep them under that 65 width. Good to hear they worked well.

The next thing i need to understand is the rim offsets hah. its a whole new world :)
Attachments 236

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Edited to add: 1000x-4 is what im looking at.

Caveat, im still looking to buy but trying to do my research ahead of time on what id buy up front. I have read through the 10 pages of posts here and still have no idea what im talking about.

From what ive read stock wheels/tires are not great. I will be riding in WI and their req is under 65" and apparently some of the trails/bridges force that req on you via gates and obstacles. Id also like to consider all 4 being the same so i can carry a 5th as a spare. Id like to maintain as much geometry as i can.

Id like to make a run all the way up the wild rivers trail and hit some of the offshoots and will be 100+ miles out so a spare seems like a good idea as i will likely be solo most of the trip.

Thanks again!
I was in the same boat after buying my Talon. So many options and having to worry about being 65" or less. After seeing my son damage 2 stock rims I decided not to use my stock rims. Also wanted to be able to easily throw the stock rims and tires on if I needed warranty work done. In the end I went with GBC Kenati Mongrel 30x10-15 on 5+2 rims with a spare that I rotate in. I'm right at 65" in front, no rear spacers, and have passed through gates. I'm very happy with them after 2000 miles. With probably 50% of those miles on pavement, the tires still look new.

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
I was in the same boat after buying my Talon. So many options and having to worry about being 65" or less. After seeing my son damage 2 stock rims I decided not to use my stock rims. Also wanted to be able to easily throw the stock rims and tires on if I needed warranty work done. In the end I went with GBC Kenati Mongrel 30x10-15 on 5+2 rims with a spare that I rotate in. I'm right at 65" in front, no rear spacers, and have passed through gates. I'm very happy with them after 2000 miles. With probably 50% of those miles on pavement, the tires still look new.
Nice Thanks! Which rims did you end up with? I have been looking at Mongrels and Terrabites for tires and keep waffling, or MRT Moto Race. I am a bit of a chicken on the beadlock topic and kinda want to stick to non-lockers for what ill mostly be riding, but only because i dont want to babysit leakage. based on what im hearing the +38mm seem to get people pretty much right to 65". I did run into Black Rhino rims which offer a 15x7 in +51mm which adds a bit of width from stock due to the extra .5 inch rims but is kinda looking like it might be a non-beadlock option without jumping all the way out to +38s. Though going +38 adds a TON of options....i really like the look of the method bead grips to maybe walk the line.

Reactions: Smitty335
A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I went with Tusk Wasatch beadlock rims. Don't know if I'd do beadlocks again. Never had them before so I'd thought I'd try them.

Reactions: kruzayn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!