Wheel/Tire setup for X that stays under 65" (all 4 the same)?

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Edited to add: 1000x-4 is what im looking at.

Caveat, im still looking to buy but trying to do my research ahead of time on what id buy up front. I have read through the 10 pages of posts here and still have no idea what im talking about.

From what ive read stock wheels/tires are not great. I will be riding in WI and their req is under 65" and apparently some of the trails/bridges force that req on you via gates and obstacles. Id also like to consider all 4 being the same so i can carry a 5th as a spare. Id like to maintain as much geometry as i can.

Id like to make a run all the way up the wild rivers trail and hit some of the offshoots and will be 100+ miles out so a spare seems like a good idea as i will likely be solo most of the trip.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smittyp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Caveat, im still looking to buy but trying to do my research ahead of time on what id buy up front. I have read through the 10 pages of posts here and still have no idea what im talking about.

From what ive read stock wheels/tires are not great. I will be riding in WI and their req is under 65" and apparently some of the trails/bridges force that req on you via gates and obstacles. Id also like to consider all 4 being the same so i can carry a 5th as a spare. Id like to maintain as much geometry as i can.

Id like to make a run all the way up the wild rivers trail and hit some of the offshoots and will be 100+ miles out so a spare seems like a good idea as i will likely be solo most of the trip.

Thanks again!
I got a hold of Race Line Wheels and told them what I wanted to do, no spacers, same size tire all four corners and stock width, they recommended 6 +1 off set for the front and 5 + 2 for the rear, I'm stock width and no spacers. If your going to run a spare ask them what rim will work front and rear for a spare. They have a great web site that explains rim off sets. I'm sure other wheel companies have the same info. Good luck!

Reactions: kruzayn and Smittyp
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some states don't care what you actually measure as width, they only look at the VIN. If that's the case, you'd still have to worry about 64" gates turning you back. The stock X wheels look pretty good to me but they aren't beadlocks if that's what you're interested in. Any wheel with the same backspacing/offset will keep you at 64" but trying to find those numbers can be a PITA.

Once you find a wheel to match the front offset, buy 4 and use 1-1/2" spacers for the rear. STI HD9 wheels are Talon specific at 6+1 front and 4+3 rear but they do widen the track some, more homework for you. I'm about 2" wider than stock on my R with those wheels (6+1 front, 4+3 rear, no spacers, can't rotate other than side to side).

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Some states don't care what you actually measure as width, they only look at the VIN. If that's the case, you'd still have to worry about 64" gates turning you back. The stock X wheels look pretty good to me but they aren't beadlocks if that's what you're interested in. Any wheel with the same backspacing/offset will keep you at 64" but trying to find those numbers can be a PITA.

Once you find a wheel to match the front offset, buy 4 and use 1-1/2" spacers for the rear. STI HD9 wheels are Talon specific at 6+1 front and 4+3 rear but they do widen the track some, more homework for you. I'm about 2" wider than stock on my R with those wheels (6+1 front, 4+3 rear, no spacers, can't rotate other than side to side).
We have natural gates, trees.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Here is my build thread. I’ve fit through the 1 or 2 gate I’ve seen in WI.

Post 93 (I think) I post my rim and tire size with offset. I’m at 64.5”

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That only changes clearance not width as far as I know?

That’s what I thought, I just didn’t have a stock setup to compare to.

I don’t carry my spare on every ride, but it is really nice to have 5 of the same size tire just in case.

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Thanks for the input everyone!

Great build thread Todd!

Thanks for the info CID. I know from PaulF's posts its hard to trust manufacturer specs so finding a true size wheel/tire might be a challenge. but the 1.5 spacer makes a lot of sense

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
if im reading sheet right and i probably am not, would 29x9.5x15 Maxxis Carnivore fit the req with 1.5" spacers on the back?
You need to find your state regulations, do they measure your buggy or use the VIN. Are you worried about the law or the 64" gates? (are they really/exactly 64"?) If you're staying with stock wheels, that tire size will be minimally wider.

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
In WI they don't physically inspect but rather go off manufacturer specs. X = good. R = bad. So I don't care about being too wide from a legal perspective.

From what I have heard secondhand though is some trails have rocks/gates and more importantly bridges that make compliance of under 65 required. Now what I'm less sure on since I haven't run into them personally is if they are set to 66 or 67 really so to make things easier I'd like to just comply so I don't get 100 miles out and get blocked.

Thanks again, CID.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, backtracking 100 miles would suck. I only had to backtrack 5 miles here, but it was a tight and twisty 5 miles. The tablet GPS showed I had <200 yards to connect to the main trail back to camp. :oops:

There is a Talon in this photo and 64" wouldn't have done me any good. ROFL

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and toddvdh
scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
In WI they don't physically inspect but rather go off manufacturer specs. X = good. R = bad. So I don't care about being too wide from a legal perspective.

From what I have heard secondhand though is some trails have rocks/gates and more importantly bridges that make compliance of under 65 required. Now what I'm less sure on since I haven't run into them personally is if they are set to 66 or 67 really so to make things easier I'd like to just comply so I don't get 100 miles out and get blocked.

Thanks again, CID.
I can attest to needing to be at the 65" or less mark. I have been close a few times going through gates in Wisconsin. We mostly stay in the Spooner/ Hayward area. Having a 4 seater makes it fun on some gates that are in turn. Had to do a three point turn a couple of times. Wouldn't want to try them in the rumored 4 door R model.

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
I can attest to needing to be at the 65" or less mark. I have been close a few times going through gates in Wisconsin. We mostly stay in the Spooner/ Hayward area. Having a 4 seater makes it fun on some gates that are in turn. Had to do a three point turn a couple of times. Wouldn't want to try them in the rumored 4 door R model.
Thats right around where ill be riding which is why im concerned! Are you running stock wheels/tires? im super paranoid getting out in the minong/trego area and getting a flat and being stuck so i want to carry a spare and stay within that 65" width...which seems fricken hard. Todd has 1 option with the ITP Ultracross R Spec 31x9.5x15 which actually measure closer to 31 x 9.15. I see ProArmor CrawlerXR 30x9x15...but who knows their actual measurements. And then MRT Race 30x9x15. The MRTs are looking pretty promising from a tread perspective and it appears atleast one person on the forum has tried them though they havent posted in 2 years.

Id also love to get actual measurements on the EFX Motovator at 30x9.5x15.

Last edited:
scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Thats right around where ill be riding which is why im concerned! Are you running stock wheels/tires? im super paranoid getting out in the minong/trego area and getting a flat and being stuck so i want to carry a spare and stay within that 65" width...which seems fricken hard. Todd has 1 option with the ITP Ultracross R Spec 31x9.5x15 which actually measure closer to 31 x 9.15. I see ProArmor CrawlerXR 30x9x15...but who knows their actual measurements. And then MRT Race 30x9x15. The MRTs are looking pretty promising from a lug perspective and it appears atleast one person on the forum has tried them though they havent posted in 2 years.

I'm currently running Tusk 10x30x15 Terribites on stock rims. I carry a factory front rim with the same tire as a spare. I'm thinking about changing the back rims out to front rims with no spacers so that I can rotate tires. I also carry a plug kit and 12v compressor in case of a small leak. We did have one person in our group puncture a tire on the way back from Minong to Spooner. luckily, we were close enough that he made it back before the tire went completely flat. Only thing we could think was he hit an old rail spike on the railbed trail.

Reactions: kruzayn
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thats right around where ill be riding which is why im concerned! Are you running stock wheels/tires? im super paranoid getting out in the minong/trego area and getting a flat and being stuck so i want to carry a spare and stay within that 65" width...which seems fricken hard. Todd has 1 option with the ITP Ultracross R Spec 31x9.5x15 which actually measure closer to 31 x 9.15. I see ProArmor CrawlerXR 30x9x15...but who knows their actual measurements. And then MRT Race 30x9x15. The MRTs are looking pretty promising from a tread perspective and it appears atleast one person on the forum has tried them though they havent posted in 2 years.

At our tire pressures, any tire sidewall will easily squish in to the rim - meaning if the Talon is exactly 64" wide at the rim and the gate posts are exactly 64" apart, any tire you're running will squish in to the rim to allow getting through a gate; regardless of tire size - if that's what you're pondering. OTOH - If you're wondering about ground clearance, tire size is relevant.

Reactions: kruzayn
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
@kruzayn Which MRT are you considering? I have the Moto Race in 30x9x15 and the Dual Threat in 30x10x15. They are really lite and grip awesome!! I ran the Moto's up front and the Dual Threat on the back on stock wheels all over RRB and Tackett before going to 32's.
20230106 213239

20230106 213244

20230106 213252

And this is our X currently with System3 5+2 (+38) wheels and Kanati Terra Masters 32x10x15 (they have a rounded profile and more like a 31.25 tire at 10psi. As you can see it's really only 65.xx wide and the rim is more than .05 in from the edge of the tire. I think I would fit with my setup.

20230106 213736
20230106 213252

K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Dang, thanks @Hometeam ! Those pics are awesome! the MRT i was looking at are the same you ran in front i think; Race 30x9; id have to find wheels to run them on all 4 and 1.5" spacers i think but the size looks about right to keep them under that 65 width. Good to hear they worked well.

The next thing i need to understand is the rim offsets hah. its a whole new world :)

Reactions: toddvdh
K

kruzayn

Jan 1, 2023
Midwest
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
So if im not mistaken, if i ran System3 SB-4 15x7 4/137 6+1 (+45mm) wheels with MRT 30x9x15 that should be same profile as the stock fronts. Then same wheels/tires rear + 1.5" spacer should give the same out width in the rear as well...if anyone wants to check my math? Im not quite as sold on the rear numbers looking right.

ahh or even better. STI HD9 15x7 4/137 6+1 (50mm) wheels with MRT 30x9x15 and then 1.5" spaces on the rear. that .2 inch difference between the System3 and STI might be kinda helpful i suppose. The with what CID said, can get away with a bit more slop in the tires themselves giving some other options similar in size. id like to stick to the 30" ish though.

And that makes total sense, @CID if the rim is within 65 even if the tire bulges out it will get inline if forced thru.

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!