S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
going to order this soon and i was wondering if i should just get the speakers that come with it or upgrade to a better speaker...
i do not want the cheapest but do not want the best either... just a decent sound for some bluegrass, so mid range to high notes...and yes i play 5 string... lol...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
going to order this soon and i was wondering if i should just get the speakers that come with it or upgrade to a better speaker...
i do not want the cheapest but do not want the best either... just a decent sound for some bluegrass, so mid range to high notes...and yes i play 5 string... lol...

I'm a Blue Grass fan also!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a good question. I was originally going to put the speakers in the front doors, but haven't done that yet. The speakers are a bit too deep, so it would require fabricating a "stand off" for the inside of the door and there isn't a big enough flat area. I ended up using a pair of Boss 6.5" tower speakers and mounted them to the top side rails about half way back on my -5. Didn't want them on the cross tube above the front seat back for fear they could cause injury in an accident.

The pic shows how they are mounted, angled down. Getting the mounting bands around the lateral tube and getting the hardware in to clamp them was a major chore - probably would have been easier to remove the roof first! This position doesn't interfere with rear seat entry or occupants and poses no safety hazard to the front occupants (certainly less than the shovel up there!).
20211117 170124

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Scoop,

It seems everything is a compromise in terms of optimal speaker location, there aren't a lot of good choices. From a stereo listening perspective, optimal is being equidistant from each speaker - that's obviously not gonna happen. But the cross bar puts one channel of stereo right up against each front seat occupant's head, kind'a like setting right in front of the right or left speaker in a home theater. Definitely sub-optimal for stereo listening. Then there's the risk of head impact to a speaker in a crash (if occupants aren't wearing helmets - I rarely do).

Given the Pioneer's design, best speaker spots, at least for front seat occupants, would probably be the front door panels or rear corners of the roll cage, but the latter isn't an option with SuperATV's rear window.

Reactions: Lady01
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
thank you sir. that is what im going to go with. i like you set up. im not sure if you are better with the speakers in front of you or behind your ears. i only have hearing in my right ear... had cancer in my left. i also have the mid mount shield to seperate the back seat. should be no big deal... do you have a model number of the speakers? also can i see a pic of your dash for the radio? i need install the second battery and and radio first... first things first...lol

20190311 223411

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Scoop,

It seems everything is a compromise in terms of optimal speaker location, there aren't a lot of good choices. From a stereo listening perspective, optimal is being equidistant from each speaker - that's obviously not gonna happen. But the cross bar puts one channel of stereo right up against each front seat occupant's head, kind'a like setting right in front of the right or left speaker in a home theater. Definitely sub-optimal for stereo listening. Then there's the risk of head impact to a speaker in a crash (if occupants aren't wearing helmets - I rarely do).

Given the Pioneer's design, best speaker spots, at least for front seat occupants, would probably be the front door panels or rear corners of the roll cage, but the latter isn't an option with SuperATV's rear window.
Appreciate the input, but I'm fully satisfied with where these are at. I mostly want it to make some noise when it's parked and we're sitting around a campfire, not going for full audiophile nor competing with engine noise and earplugs/helmets/headsets.

With a full canvas enclosure on my P1K5, installing them anywhere on the exterior bars of the ROPS was not really an option.

As far as safety, I highly doubt anyone will hit their head on these. If they aren't wearing their seatbelts, they are going to hit plenty more other (harder) things. Even if they did, there is enough "give" that the speaker will simply swivel back. I wasn't going for a five-star safety rating from the NHTSA ... :D

I'll likely end up with Swamp Donkey system in the future, but you're just as likely to hit your head on that as you are the pods, too so (again, if not wearing a seatbelt).

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
thank you sir. that is what im going to go with. i like you set up. im not sure if you are better with the speakers in front of you or behind your ears. i only have hearing in my right ear... had cancer in my left. i also have the mid mount shield to seperate the back seat. should be no big deal... do you have a model number of the speakers? also can i see a pic of your dash for the radio? i need install the second battery and and radio first... first things first...lol

View attachment 307874
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWLCYKH?tag=sxsweb24-20

For my dash, I installed a PBR Products switch panel/cup holder. They have many different designs. Here is the one I went with (switches and rounds have changed):

2021 11 12 222030

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I too have the boss head unit. Works great! I went with these on the back roll bar:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZEG3HB/?tag=sxsweb24-20
These are in the front legwell side walls: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FP4Q6LR/?tag=sxsweb24-20
And this is under my seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G2C2WH/?tag=sxsweb24-20
What can I say, I like the full frequency ranges when my tunes are jammin. :D

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll likely end up with Swamp Donkey system in the future, but you're just as likely to hit your head on that as you are the pods, too so (again, if not wearing a seatbelt).
I was wearing seatbelt w/ double shoulder harness, adjusted very snug (not the self retracting type), and involved in a low speed roll over that had me hanging upside down. The only injury was to the top of my head. It's surprising (at least to me) how much the body can move even when restrained by a safety harness. What can be said is they most often prevent ejection with resultant fatal injuries due to impact and crushing. I would not count on them to prevent a serious injury to the noggin if hard objects are within "reach".

advertisement
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWLCYKH?tag=sxsweb24-20

For my dash, I installed a PBR Products switch panel/cup holder. They have many different designs. Here is the one I went with (switches and rounds have changed):

View attachment 307876
ok thanks. nice setup.. what state are you in? i guess i will just have someone do the wiring for me as im not to good...im mostly mechanical... so i guess i need a battery, fuse block, stinger or isolator? does anyone in mn. perform this work near mpls. or western suburbs if yu are reading this thread? also how did you run your wiring? sorry about all the questions.

thanks.
Gary

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I too have the boss head unit. Works great! I went with these on the back roll bar:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZEG3HB/?tag=sxsweb24-20
These are in the front legwell side walls: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FP4Q6LR/?tag=sxsweb24-20
And this is under my seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G2C2WH/?tag=sxsweb24-20
What can I say, I like the full frequency ranges when my tunes are jammin. :D
ok thanks... i checked on amazon and the powerhead is 120.00 alone... with speakers it is 128.00 cheap speakers but for only 8.00 more? unless you know of a better price somewhere else....ebay is high plus i have amazon prime...
here are the 2 im thinking of...one is 500 watt with lights and the other is 600 and no lights in the sub woofer..

or these... which one would you get..

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you use Gaia app?
Yes I do.
I'm Just learning but it's super powerful as functionality goes and pretty easy to use.
It updates to the cloud automatically to all your devices and I get updates weekly.
Map availability is endless. Upload and download is seamless. I store all my maps on a SD drive on my tablet.

If your not familiar with GAIA, they have a free version that is good but Premium gets you all the functionality.
I highly recommend.

Last edited:
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok thanks... i checked on amazon and the powerhead is 120.00 alone... with speakers it is 128.00 cheap speakers but for only 8.00 more? unless you know of a better price somewhere else....ebay is high plus i have amazon prime...
here are the 2 im thinking of...one is 500 watt with lights and the other is 600 and no lights in the sub woofer..

Either one is fine. You won't be pushing that many watts to them anyway. What I don't like is that the hookups are external, weather can get to them. On mine the wiring goes internal on the enclosures and is sealed inside. That's a plus for me in rainy Washington.

M

MnM

Apr 13, 2020
TUCSON AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I highly recommend speaker pods from Soundwarehouse.com. They fit under dash and are made for honda pioneer. I am extremely happy with the sound the look and the design and how they face you..I ordered my pods empty and ordered the 6 1/2 Kicker Marine speakers from Amazon…the pods are $180 but very well worth it !…. Hopefully this helps

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!