Which winch to you recommend?

80sforlife

Mar 30, 2015
Hey everyone I am new to this forum. I have a 2014 Honda Pioneer 700 4 seater and we love it. I am in the process I reviewing new winches to purchase. What do you recommend?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome 80sforlife good to have you. For the 700 a 4000lb or 4500lb is recommended for single line pulls, which is the way most people will use one.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Sometimes economics dictate size and brand. I've used mine more than once and I'm glad that I have a 4500 series winch. I've always prefer Warn as they've been around and have a proven record. As this comes to personal taste, I also prefer the synthetic line over the cable. Easier to use and much safer. Also consider getting a recovery system, which consists of a strap to wrap around the tree with loops on both ends for the winch hook to attach to. This saves any wear on your winch line.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
...........As this comes to personal taste, I also prefer the synthetic line over the cable. Easier to use and much safer. Also consider getting a recovery system, which consists of a strap to wrap around the tree with loops on both ends for the winch hook to attach to. This saves any wear on your winch line.

+1

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes Bigriver and Ohanacreek are right. 4000 lbs. minimum (probably 4500 with the P-4) and definitely go with a synthetic line. They are a bit more expensive but worth it for the safety, ease of use, and the WEIGHT SAVINGS. I bought a warn vantage 4000 at cabelas and they had a synthetic version and a steel cable version on the shelf. I picked up both boxes to compare and man was there a difference! Not to mention in a worst case scenerio IF your synthetic line breaks while winching you can just tie it back together and get yourself unstuck. Can't do that with a steel cable.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I'm kind of glad someone started this thread as I'm shopping for winch's also. I had already planned on a 4500# winch, but there are tons and tons of companys making them. I would really like a warn (have 2 on my foreman) but my money is tight and I need a plow and trailer still. A local shop has the Viper line of winch's, does anyone have one ? on line I was looking a KFI.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
allgm1 said:
I'm kind of glad someone started this thread as I'm shopping for winch's also. I had already planned on a 4500# winch, but there are tons and tons of companys making them. I would really like a warn (have 2 on my foreman) but my is tight and I need a plow and trailer still. A local shop has the Viper line of winch's, does anyone have one ? on line I was looking a KFI.

I have the SE45 KFI, so far so good, had it since Fall 2013. I would recommend getting the wide version(more rope and longer pull per layer)

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. Good prices on Amazon

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

L

linemanlogan

Jan 18, 2015
north dakota
i just got a KFI winch. I got the 3500 lb one as I got it from a friend very reasonably priced. wishing I would have gotten the 4500 lb but ill see how the 3500 does I guess. hope its not to small :(

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just got a KFI winch. I got the 3500 lb one as I got it from a friend very reasonably priced. wishing I would have gotten the 4500 lb but ill see how the 3500 does I guess. hope its not to small :(

Had a KFI SE 45 for about 18months great winch wish I'd bought the wide version though more rope and longer layers.

You can always double line pull with a block.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!