BOX1

P1000 Whiskey gets wider....

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
I've widened the Honda's in my life. Even in the early years, my Honda ATC 200s (whew, that was in 1985!) got a little fatter on the hubs. I like the width for better stability on slopes, and the ability to see the tires from the drivers position, a bit better. Today, Whiskey plumped out 1.25 inches on each corner, thanks to Sixty's 4/137, 12Mx1.25 pitch wheel spacers. I'd say just enough to see the hoops rolling over AZ terrain from behind her wheel. I took some pics during the install.

Reactions: ghost
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Thanks for the pics.
Good to "see" what others are up to

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Looks good Whiskey!! I really like that tire too! Did the new tires affect your overall top speed? Not that I'm a speed nut but I do drive mine on the road a lot and part of my want out this sxs is too be able to go 60 mph. My hope is that the 28" tire will give it a little more top end so 55mph isn't as high on the rpms. I have the 1k3 and I am trying to decide on a wheel/tire combo to get rid of the stock nonradial tires. Thanks.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good idea! I put offset rims on my old 89 250R with a Duncan Racing Paul Turner Mid range build back in the early 90's. It totally helped to keep that screamer right side up most of the time.:D

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've widened the Honda's in my life. Even in the early years, my Honda ATC 200s (whew, that was in 1985!) got a little fatter on the hubs. I like the width for better stability on slopes, and the ability to see the tires from the drivers position, a bit better. Today, Whiskey plumped out 1.25 inches on each corner, thanks to Sixty's 4/137, 12Mx1.25 pitch wheel spacers. I'd say just enough to see the hoops rolling over AZ terrain from behind her wheel. I took some pics during the install.

Technically, with this type of suspension, wouldn't widening also very slightly increase suspension travel at the wheel?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Here in the south, mud slinging is an issue. The wider the tires protrude outside the body, the more mud your going to wear. My profile pic is prime example.

Reactions: Whiskey1
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Looks good Whiskey!! I really like that tire too! Did the new tires affect your overall top speed? Not that I'm a speed nut but I do drive mine on the road a lot and part of my want out this sxs is too be able to go 60 mph. My hope is that the 28" tire will give it a little more top end so 55mph isn't as high on the rpms. I have the 1k3 and I am trying to decide on a wheel/tire combo to get rid of the stock nonradial tires. Thanks.
I don't think you can go wrong with the rockabilly set from Sedona. As far as top speed, with 77hp and 3.50 gears in the diffs, I don't think a 28 inch tire will have much affect over the 27s. Like you say the rpms would drop a little.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Here in the south, mud slinging is an issue. The wider the tires protrude outside the body, the more mud your going to wear. My profile pic is prime example.
I hear you BigRiver. If we had any mud, I might think different. Here it is nice to see the tire before it climbs a boulder lol, or as its climbing.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Technically, with this type of suspension, wouldn't widening also very slightly increase suspension travel at the wheel?
You're giving away all my secrets, lol. Yes, I agree with your assessment. And, more travel is a good thing.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
ur machine is way to clean
100 percent agree. I've been waiting for the plate from dmv. A mess up with Honda and the dealer's paperwork postponed getting my registration for over a month and that limited much trail/road driving yet. So I took advantage of the garage time. I got the plates finally, on Wednesday.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You may need the extra lug nuts. Most have a 60 degree angle. The Honda lug nuts have a round angle and they only fit Honda wheels.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
You may need the extra lug nuts. Most have a 60 degree angle. The Honda lug nuts have a round angle and they only fit Honda wheels.
You might have something there. Everything bolted up ok so far as I can tell. I'll keep you posted.