Who are the winners and losers of the post cv-19 era?

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just saw an article where a majority of people plan to stay home even after the stay in place ban is lifted.

So it begs the question, what businesses will suffer and what businesses will flourish.

Seems like sxs's and trail riding should become more popular not less.

It occurred to me that we have a drive in theatre in our county. One of two in the state.

Seems like a cure for cabin fever that meets the social distancing criteria.

What do you think?

R

rickoshea

i don't think there will be any winners.even if there were some that are perceived to have won,at what ultimate cost? everyone on the planet is going to get a punch in the junk one way or another,eventually.if i get through with my health, job and at least one of my homes i will have survived it,but i will pay a price.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i don't think there will be any winners.even if there were some that are perceived to have won,at what ultimate cost? everyone on the planet is going to get a punch in the junk one way or another,eventually.if i get through with my health, job and at least one of my homes i will have survived it,but i will pay a price.
And I agree, when ALL is said and done , any wins will only be temporary.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just saw an article where a majority of people plan to stay home even after the stay in place ban is lifted.

So it begs the question, what businesses will suffer and what businesses will flourish.

It occurred to me that we have a drive in theatre in our county. One of two in the state.

What do you think?
I can't say what the post covid-19 areas will look like. But I can say the last few weeks here in Arizona, the riding areas have been the busiest I've seen them. If people are staying at home here, I can't tell it.

tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife is a personal trainer and has a small gym in town. She mostly does one on one sessions with ladies that don’t want to go to the big gyms. She also has a few small classes each week. She has been shut down now for a little over 3 weeks and thinking she’s just done. She doesn’t make a lot but she sure helps these ladies. Kinda sad but after a couple months off with no help in sight can’t blame her. Told her to pay the rent out of my business but she doesn’t feel that’s right. The place she rents from doesn’t seem to care.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I didn't stay home today. I started a 75' + - square garden at my buddy's place. I honestly think those folks who are able to produce much of their own food to be winners in the coming months. I'd also say those folks like me can make some good money helping to install a garden. It was for a friend but I still made $50 per hour for 5 hours and the job isn't finished yet. Good thing it's not finished because I think I sheared the gearing in my 15 year old 48" Bush Hog tiller and might have to buy another. Win and loose and win....it's like a cycle .

Side note, Had he covered this spot in the late summer to early fall with a silage tarp, that would've killed off the grass,, he could've kept much of the topsoil I had to remove. If I didn't all the grass I scraped up would just grown into his beds. I'll be bringing in a few loads of eco-blend to mix into and top dress the soil beds and make a more richer media to grow produce in. Then we'll fence it off from the deer.

Getting there....

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the teleconference companies like zoom will do good. Also some social apps like Block Party - have 2 friends that make a point everyday to have blockparty with a group of friends

i think there will be some good deals on Sxs when this is over. Likely home improvement stores will gain a little after this as people are doing more around their house.

i wonder about education - kids are basically getting 1/2 a year this year... there is already a divide between poorer and richer kids and that will likely grow as some kids get tutors to catch them up

R

rickoshea

I think the teleconference companies like zoom will do good. Also some social apps like Block Party - have 2 friends that make a point everyday to have blockparty with a group of friends

i think there will be some good deals on Sxs when this is over. Likely home improvement stores will gain a little after this as people are doing more around their house.

i wonder about education - kids are basically getting 1/2 a year this year... there is already a divide between poorer and richer kids and that will likely grow as some kids get tutors to catch them up
no doubt there will be a glut of orv's,bikes,boats,motor homes.it will definitely be a buyers market for people that come out the other side unscathed.i don't think there will be disposable income like we've known for a few years if this goes on into summer.mom and pop stores will do ok,but the stock market is taking a shellacking right now and big box stores are going to feel it hard.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no doubt there will be a glut of orv's,bikes,boats,motor homes.it will definitely be a buyers market for people that come out the other side unscathed.i don't think there will be disposable income like we've known for a few years if this goes on into summer.
I agree, states like FL that depend on tourist are going to be slower coming out as well. I have been tracking our sales by state just shifts in % share and FL has lost the most share through out this.

on a positive note once this is over people are going to reevaluate a lot of choices. I read when pandemics have happened in the past there is often a exit from cities ... not sure the exit from the cites is good but the reevaluating stuff is

R

rickoshea

for me personally,i've been shopping for nessesities at the general store,buying hardware from mom and pops,buying booze/gas from the general store just to try and help the little guys stay afloat.i haven't been into town for 2 weeks now and don't plan to for the forseeable future.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

Got an email from our IT people about zoom having a little security issue so be careful

Reactions: rtn001 and Landman
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sometimes I wish I could see the more positives related to this. For some reason early on I became programmed somehow into becoming a preparer.. It's hasn't made me too many friends being all negative Nancy and s***, but it has made some of my more alert friends more proactive in creating a closer knit group of like minded friends. A support groutp of sorts for interesting times ahead. Creating this community before the SHTF was a huge relief for me.

Scifi Brainerisms
We are like island strongholds in a vast sea of decadence, rot and decay.... there are a few other scatterings out there in the midst of the darkness, out there within the void.....and then there's those evil zombie horde maddened survivors of the horrific existence once known as the word so few utter for fear of quick and harsh reprisals. To this day very few in the void refer to themselves as once being demonrats.......For a slow death awaits those unseen in hallowed eyes....

Your heart is in the right place and your soliloquy took some time to craft.
However, there is absolutely nothing in it that would answer the question in my first post.
I wrote this to ping everyone (that includes you) as to what companies will rise above and which ones will drown.
Forgive my bluntness but I am hopeful to keep this thread on point.
Should you like pontificate, please do so on a different channel so those who find interest in this thread can read about winners and losers.
And those who are your followers can get all your sermons and thoughts in one place.
This isn't trying to be harse or critical. It is a request that you respect others and keep this from turning into another cat fight.
We have plenty of those already.

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got an email from our IT people about zoom having a little security issue so be careful

Zoom Sent out a email Friday saying they were changing some of the default setting. Like now requiring a password I did read where someone was suing it to give a thesis presentation for their Doctorate and someone took control of the screen and starting drawing dick pics on it ....

• Wow
Reactions: rtn001
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
However, there is absolutely nothing in it that would answer the question in my first post.
I wrote this to ping everyone (that includes you) as to what companies will rise above and which ones will drown.
Should you like pontificate, please do so on a different channel so those who find interest in this thread can read about winners and losers.
And those who are your followers can get all your sermons and thoughts in one place.
This isn't trying to be harse or critical. It is a request that you respect others and keep this from turning into another cat fight.
Copy that. Point taken. Sometimes I wander. No feline fights here....
Well from what I'm understanding some companies that are thriving are large garden vegetable seed companies. Like Johnny's currently them and a few others are delaying orders to folks like you and me and only shipping to commercial growers. Johnny's said they'd stat taking orders for us wee folk but it'd be 2-3 weeks before we'd see them due to packaging shipping and so on. Others said they stopped taking orders a couple of weeks ago. I have still seen many seeds available at Lowe's but they're not cheap for a small packet and most likely are GMO etc. I have a large seed bank I got from Eden Brothers last year and am glad I did.
Large meat packers like Tyson I read were having difficulty packing because of the packers and the need for social distancing.
Coin Dealers have done reasonably well with the recent uptick in precious metals and even though the price dropped the other day, it was mostly manipulation through paper PM notes (fake pm's). Those holding physical have done well and even with the price dropping, if you can find actual physical metal, expect to pay a healthy premium
The gun stores that have managed to stay open and keep stock in are certainly doing a brisk business and all those cheap $450 AR's you couldn't give away are now worth upwards of $800-$1000. Ammo Manufacturers also have been doing rather well in the same light. My Buddy that owns the shop where I help out told me today that shotguns are in great demand too.
I own a few stocks in Abbott laboratories that I got from my grandmother that worked there. They're a pharmaceutical company that's been around for some time. They're not as well know as many of the larger conglomerates so I can't compare and really I'm on the fence about how well they may fare. There's the whole Hydroxy Chloriquine thing and will other companies be able to make it? I understand it's from Cuba ? So there's that conundrum with our relationship with them. Also, I've watched the stocks drop and was glad to have sold some when I did. it seems hard to determine how well pharmaceutical companies will do considering how much of that is produced in China.

Just some other observations over the past few days. I hope that was a better rendering as per stated form the OP. and thank you. Shortly after I posted earlier, I self policed and moved it to the over hyped thread. I think......Brainerisms.

R

rickoshea

throw a bunch of logic at him and he goes away.at least he did for me anyway...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree, states like FL that depend on tourist are going to be slower coming out as well. I have been tracking our sales by state just shifts in % share and FL has lost the most share through out this.

on a positive note once this is over people are going to reevaluate a lot of choices. I read when pandemics have happened in the past there is often a exit from cities ... not sure the exit from the cites is good but the reevaluating stuff is

In my area theres already tons of people wanting to move to the country prior to the Kung Flu pandemic. Im sure even more people will WANT to but very few will be able to afford it after all of this shakes out.

Reactions: rtn001 and 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

What do you think?
Would you mind sharing the article that says most people are going to stay home after restrictions are lifted?

Bicycle shops are reporting an increase in sales and service.

And Walmart is doing well.

Most all the pizza chains are booming.

Reactions: rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!