Who has re-glued their seat? What to use.. what not to use.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Who has glued their pioneer seat back together?

What did you use?
And what did you try that failed to work?

Thanks.
Ab82bdf039cab13cfaf9639a5415e43f

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of thoughts, pretty sure it's ABS plastic, so ABS pipe cement (black stuff) should work very nicely. I have used hot melt glue on smaller parts and that is holding well, but the pipe cement is a solvent type and should be very strong, though may take a bit of doing if you want the seams to appear as new - any overlap in cement will show.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this gorilla glue. It held up well. I drilled a few bigger drain holes in the bottom of the plastic to get all the water out. Let the foam dry really well. I laid mine out on a tin roof in the sun for a few days. I scraped off as much of the old glue as I could. I only used one tube of this glue but wish I would have gotten two. After I glued it I set a bunch of ammo boxes and cans on it to weigh it down. Also used some ratchet straps and tied one on each side near the edge to hold it down good. I didn't ratchet them just wrapped them around as tight as it needed to be and tied the loose end on a kitchen drawer handle. I think I did this last winter so I kept it in the house over night to stay warm.
Screenshot 20210429 045918

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll also add that I removed the foam completely from the plastic base. I pressure washed the plastic base after I scraped the glue off. Then cleaned it with some brake cleaner. Let the foam dry with the black side up or else the water will just sit in it. I drilled holes in the corner of the base and stood it up where it would drain out and dry.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this gorilla glue. It held up well. I drilled a few bigger drain holes in the bottom of the plastic to get all the water out. Let the foam dry really well. I laid mine out on a tin roof in the sun for a few days. I scraped off as much of the old glue as I could. I only used one tube of this glue but wish I would have gotten two. After I glued it I set a bunch of ammo boxes and cans on it to weigh it down. Also used some ratchet straps and tied one on each side near the edge to hold it down good. I didn't ratchet them just wrapped them around as tight as it needed to be and tied the loose end on a kitchen drawer handle. I think I did this last winter so I kept it in the house over night to stay warm.
View attachment 304127
And whatever you do...... do NOT put this in your hair 🤣

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Today I jumped all in on what is above. Cleaned it up and put a healthy coat.

My 24h test yeaterday with this clue seemed to give ok results. But was still wet and pulled off. I cleaned that up and laid a solid beed all around. I will let it sit a few days like this.
C48b3831648016dd0d8004d4cab42747

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Today I jumped all in on what is above. Cleaned it up and put a healthy coat.

My 24h test yeaterday with this clue seemed to give ok results. But was still wet and pulled off. I cleaned that up and laid a solid beed all around. I will let it sit a few days like this.
View attachment 304586

What'd you use for glue?
I need to do this on mine as well...... 🤔 I thought of asking dealer if warranty would cover that??

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't know this was a problem for some. So far, my 18s seats are holding up fine.

But the question led me to think, I wonder if VHB tape would be feasible here? I've seen guys using this stuff to bond some pretty tough jobs.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is loose on the driver side. It's holding water now. I believe just gonna order a new seat for the winter.
Good idea.
I met some guys at RRB with water in the seat foam for a winter ride.
The bad part was the seat was rock hard.
Good thing the ice had a numbing effect on my ass.
The wife hasn't returned for a winter ride.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't know this was a problem for some. So far, my 18s seats are holding up fine.

But the question led me to think, I wonder if VHB tape would be feasible here? I've seen guys using this stuff to bond some pretty tough jobs
My wife and I were going down a large hill yesterday at Ride Royal Blue and my side of the seat came apart. It almost threw me into the dash. 2020 pioneer with 900 miles on it.

IMG 20211114 155903 IMG 20211114 155906

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!