P500 Who hauls their P500/P520 in a pickup bed?

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Besides considering buying a P500/520, I'm also looking at what used pickup to buy to haul it around. Because a) I can't back a trailer, b) have nowhere to store a trailer, c) Don't want to register a trailer, etc. I'm basing my future SXS purchase exclusively on whether or not it will fit in a pickup bed. Although I'm leaning towards a P500/520, I'm still also considering one of the numerous small Chinese-built SXSs sold by Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc. for the very same reason--they're small and inexpensive. Massimo comes to mind. Anyone driving a larger SXS and utilizing those ramps that go OVER the truckbed? I'm very eager to her suggestions, likes/dislikes, etc. I'm still in the research phase and very open minded.

Reactions: JenElio
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Besides considering buying a P500/520, I'm also looking at what used pickup to buy to haul it around. Because a) I can't back a trailer, b) have nowhere to store a trailer, c) Don't want to register a trailer, etc. I'm basing my future SXS purchase exclusively on whether or not it will fit in a pickup bed. Although I'm leaning towards a P500/520, I'm still also considering one of the numerous small Chinese-built SXSs sold by Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc. for the very same reason--they're small and inexpensive. Massimo comes to mind. Anyone driving a larger SXS and utilizing those ramps that go OVER the truckbed? I'm very eager to her suggestions, likes/dislikes, etc. I'm still in the research phase and very open minded.
1996 F350 here. Tailgate off P500 fits in an 8’ bed. Tailgate won’t close by an inch or two. With two inch spacers all around it was very tight between the wheel wells. If it was your only hauling method I’d stick with 1” or 1 1/2” max wheel spacers (or wider stance between spacers and any rim offset changes you do) to make life easier loading it.

Buy quality ramps for the process too. I have folding aluminum 10’ Titan Ramps quad beams rated at 3k pound combined max weight.

I can grab pics of it loaded in the truck and links to the ramps if you would like.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Follow-up question, aren't there some kind of in-bed mini ramps that would allow you to drive over the wheel wells instead of between them? I would think that'd really open up my SXS width options, as long as I had the height clearance. Possibly even allowing for a smaller (less than full-size) pickup? It'd be a compromise over those, probably expensive, over the bed options. Keep in mind, I'd only be hauling the SXS and ramps needed to get in on and off. Space for other cargo in the bed wouldn't be a factor.

Reactions: rtn001
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The first one works scare me for turning over

Mad Ramps maybe?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for posting these. I've watched promo videos for both items. I like the truck rack type except for the going over the truck cab part for several reasons. I'd be scared about driving under bridges with a SXS sticking up that high. And I wouldn't trust myself getting on/off the ramp without a catastrophic ending. Between the two, I like the Mad Ramp one better, but both are expensive too. I'd like to see something that was level with the height of the wheel wells, so at least part of the SXS is still between the bed sides. That would allow for a wider, but not necessarily longer buggy. I guess the downside is you couldn't use the tailgate as an extension of the bed. Did I mention whatever pickup we buy, it would not be a 4 door. Just me and wifey, so no need for extra seats that force you to have a ridiculously short bed.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I meant to tell you....
Right now you say you can't back a trailer up

But, with practice... I know you can. You can get good enough to use only your rearview mirror or camera.

Starting out on a wide open space, and making slow, deliberate movements, it will get to where you don't have to think as lot, you can just make necessary steering wheel movements and not so much in the way of reactive movements.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Get a long bed truck with a flat bed. You would definitely have more options for choosing a sxs. You can get flat beds that are 9' long
I can't think of any better solution than that. A flatbed would be ideal, and allow many more UTV size options. Then my only restriction would then be SXS price. I think the only reason I didn't bring it up before is that the used market for them is substantially smaller than just a used full-size pickup.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I meant to tell you....
Right now you say you can't back a trailer up

But, with practice... I know you can. You can get good enough to use only your rearview mirror or camera.

Starting out on a wide open space, and making slow, deliberate movements, it will get to where you don't have to think as lot, you can just make necessary steering wheel movements and not so much in the way of reactive movements.

Although it's true, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Old people are stubborn too!

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't think of any better solution than that. A flatbed would be ideal, and allow many more UTV size options. Then my only restriction would then be SXS price. I think the only reason I didn't bring it up before is that the used market for them is substantially smaller than just a used full-size pickup.
Find a truck you like and get a flat bed put on it. Idk about prices now but 2 years ago a CM bed was around $5000-$6000

advertisement
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So......... I don't think it's been said/asked, what are your intended uses for said SxS??? That'll narrow your search a bit.
And yes, I believe a flat bed pickup might be your best option if no trailer. I'm sure you can pick up a used ol' flat bed 2 Dr pickup for around your budget. I wouldn't go drive cross country with it but........she'll do for now 😂😂

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I was looking to spend on the truck.
Sadly, given current conditions and a lack of prospects for improvement anytime soon, you may be facing a long hard search - unless you have an inordinate amount of good luck. Prices of used vehicles have soared along with limited availability. Many used vehicles are selling for more than what they cost new.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Massimo = Massi NO . Get a Pioneer 500 . I haul mine in my Ram mega cab (short bed) with the tail gate down . No problemo >

IMG 7801

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I’m using the truck I have that was bought back in my ATV/Pilot/Odyssey days.
If I was paying money for a truck I would get a long bed.
I don’t like putting weight on the tailgate, 600lb Odyssey bent the cable brackets riding with the rear wheels on the tail gate.
I have a support that fits in the receiver I got off another member here (I think the company is out of business now).

I think a SxS can drive over the wheel wells in a truck bed.
I think it was @CumminsPusher maybe he will check in.

66DC3850 1B72 4CD4 BBB5 75335CDE6527

FYI I started using my ATV ramp and the p500 started to tear the rungs off.
I switched to a set of aluminum car ramps.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Possibly even allowing for a smaller (less than full-size) pickup?

I believe I am qualified to address this comment:

Don't do it. While it technically works, I'm several hundred pounds over payload capacity, the rear end squats so much I would be blinding oncoming traffic if driving at night. Get a full-size truck, or a trailer.
MVIMG 20200911 144356

More info:
I did tons of research before trying this. Got one of those hitch extender thingies made for carrying giant rolls of carpet. Rated for like 1000lbs I think. Was only about $300, made my own "mad ramps" system with some 2x10's so I didn't wreck my tailgate. Backrack keeps it from going through the rear of the cab. Made 2 500ish mile round trips with it and went out and bought a trailer instead. Pricing out extra shocks and springs etc for rear end plus the hassle of hooking and unhooking everything, the trailer makes it so much easier.

Now, if I had a full-size pickup, with at least a 1500lb payload capacity and beefier rear-end suspension, I would not have gone with a trailer. Don't really have room for it, but safety plus ease of use made it a no-brainer.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!